Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Multiple printers to one Mac?

Multiple printers to one Mac?
ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2004, 10:51 PM

Hey...my Dad's considering getting an eMac to replace his old aging iMac. The thing is, a friend of ours does desktop publishing, and he uses all Macs – except for printing. He hubs 3 printers to a single PC, which he claims you can't do on a Mac, and prints to all three printers at the same time.

My Dad is a minister and does a lot of printing for the church's flyers and whatnot, so he's all interesting in this. He'd rather an eMac, but he likes the idea of printing flyers at three times the speed (plus, for the money he'd get a much better PC, let's face it).

Does anyone know anything about this? Is it possible to hub multiple printers to a single Mac and print to all three simultaneously? I'm curious. I'd rather he get the eMac, because lately the virus and spyware problems on everyone's Windows machines seems to be rediculous.

Thanks,
greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
May 15, 2004, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by ShortcutToMoncton:

Does anyone know anything about this? Is it possible to hub multiple printers to a single Mac and print to all three simultaneously? I'm curious. I'd rather he get the eMac, because lately the virus and spyware problems on everyone's Windows machines seems to be rediculous.

Thanks,
greg
No, he wouldn't get a better PC. He'd get a cheaply made XP box, ready to get all the latest virus and spyware problems out there. I don't care how many gigahertz it's got, it's hardly better. In my world, better=the machine I don't have to treat like a toddler, who is going to hurt himself if you're not dilligently supervising him.

Anyway onto the useful part of the post- sure, you could do this. Plug them all into an eMac, turn on printer sharing, and share them all. Send 10 copies to printer A, 10 to B, and 10 to C, and they're all going to have at it. If the goal has to be "mirror what I send to any printer onto ALL printers"... that I'm not so sure about. Seems like it could easily be wasteful, when you forget to turn that off and want to print one email.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
May 15, 2004, 01:14 AM

Jeez just buy a good cheap laser printer and be done with it. Should be plenty fast.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2004, 07:43 AM

For someone who needs to print so much that he needs 3x the speed via three inkjet printers would do a whole lot better to have one laser printer. For the price of three decent inkjets you can easily buy a good laser.


ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2004, 01:17 PM

Not at all. He has a bulk ink system that works pretty good and saves on ink, and the printer itself only costs about $80 Canadian. And he can print colour, too.

You have no idea what you're saying, Moof. $1100 will get you a great, solid Dell machine that far outperforms an eMac. There's no denying that. Anyone who knows what they're doing would have few problems with it...but he doesn't want to have to deal with viruses and the like.

So far, not much advice. No one knows? I don't need opinions on getting a Mac or PC...that's just redundant. I want to know if anyone has an idea of the printing possibilities I metioned.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 15, 2004, 09:46 PM

What they are saying is very true. A $300 laser Printer is much cheaper in the end.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

imikeDotMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2004, 11:32 PM

Shortcut... at least your father is not still using a Mac Classic w/ a StyleWriter (my father is also a minister). I gave him and my mom my G4 Quicksilver to "replace" the Classic and give them a mac faster then their iMac.... and what do they do, use the Classic still. Why? Because it has a disk drive.
And on this post.... get a Laser printer. Yes, colour is great, if it's actually used for the church flyers/bulletins/etc, then stick with it, but one laser printer (such as the base model Samsung/Lexmark) is cheap and fast. Besides, I've noticed that with inkjet printers, you need the expensive paper designed for that printer in order to make the colour look good—so why print half quality colour print outs.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2004, 11:52 PM

I have a 17" FP iMac, and I have a Samsung laser and Epson Photo 960 hooked up to it, and regularly print to both at one time. I have a 7-port USB hub.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 17, 2004, 02:19 PM

Regardless, multiple printers is not a problem on a Mac -- never has been.

I would, however, point out that it would be best to either use network printers (even if this means using an ethernet->parallel print server on each printer) rather than having them all run off of one USB port, because you don't want things getting slowed down because of the USB not being able to keep all the printers fed with data. (This problem applies whether it's a Mac or PC.) So if it works great, good. If it slows down, move the printers to Ethernet.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules