Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > G3 iBook upgrading

G3 iBook upgrading
Cucucachoo
Oct 20, 2005, 03:13 PM

I just finished installing a combo drive into my 12" 600mhz iBook. After finishing I realized that the door color is slightly different. Which then made me think about the body its self. So here is my question to all the iBook guru's out there in fourm land. Can i replace my top and bottom case with a new style G4 top and bottom case.

If not, could you please tell me why as i am usually skeptical about it not working. I mean why wouldn't it. same size and all.

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2005, 08:56 PM

Top case; fine, easy, works no problem.

Bottom case; slot loading on G4, tray loading on G3.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

WeirdMorph
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2005, 11:16 AM

Sure but i dunno where to get a new cover for iBook!
iBook G3 500Mhz 320MB RAM 40GB HDD MacOS X 10.3.9 and I love it!!!

Cucucachoo  (op)
Oct 26, 2005, 09:32 PM

Well its to late now. Im not going to put any more money into this iBook. But just for poops and giggles, would I have been able to get a 12' G4 casing, basicly all the plastics. Then put a slot load drive into my g3 i book? I would be swaping the drive with a slot load and then swaping the g3 with a g4 plastics.

So is that possible? Just to keep me from going insain.

Oh! and by the way, I also installed a 60gig HD into my book. I also have an ideal on swaping the internal 56k modem with a bluetooth card. But that will have to wait till i get a used logic board. Like i said, I dont want to put anymore money into this book or screw it up.

BTW WierdMorph, you can find lots of goodies on a popular auction site that ends with bay.
MacBook 2.16Ghz 13.3" with 4gig Ram 120gb HD
iBook G4 1.33ghz 12" with 1024MB Ram, 80gb HD, Dual-Layer SuperDrive
iBook G3 600mhz 12" with 640MB Ram, 60gb Hard Drive and a CD-R/RW-DVD drive Vist me at my blog

Forum Links
Forum Rules