Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Quad G5 PM Shipping Thread

Quad G5 PM Shipping Thread
turk.o
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2005, 01:19 PM

According to the news at xlr8yourmac.com, someone has already received notice that their quad is shipping (ahead of schedule, amazingly enough). Anyone else?

I ordered mine, completely stock, on 10/25 and it is scheduled currently to ship on or before 11/23.

turk.o  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2005, 01:27 PM

quick update. apple just emailed me this morning to let me know my debit card authorization failed (as it does every time due to stupid daily spending limit), i called and got it fixed (also, as usual) by charging over two days. anyway, this wasn't them charging the card, it was just authorizing, but I would suspect that they only do this when the shipping time is within a certain period, so we'll see.

boy i sure hope this comes soon, i've got two dvd-9s worth of compressor action to do, and it would be nice to have the quad instead of my current dual-2.

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 10, 2005, 01:40 PM

as seen here and here (german only), the quads are not only shipping but some of them are even up an running already ...
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2005, 01:58 PM

I'd love to hear what Cinebench performance (or Xbench even) those things kick out.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2005, 02:18 PM

A MacNN poster already got his and posted in Photoshop Benchmark thread.

I ordered mine the day after they were introduced but my order still says shipping on/before Nov. 18.

turk.o  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2005, 03:49 PM

i'm not so sure about the post in the photoshop benchmark thread, it seems like there would be a little more fanfare if someone who posted here was the first to get it. anyway, i too, am eager to see some real benchmarks and unpacking pictures, etc.
( Last edited by turk.o; Nov 10, 2005 at 03:55 PM. )

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2005, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by turk.o
anyway, this wasn't them charging the card, it was just authorizing, but I would suspect that they only do this when the shipping time is within a certain period, so we'll see.
This is pretty much the first thing Apple does when receiving an order and gives no estimate of when it will ship. They can do this MONTHS before a unit ships. For example when I purchased my PM G5 DP2.5 in June (or was it July) they did this authorization within a week of my purchasing it. The PM G5 DP 2.5 didn't arrive until sometime in September.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2005, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by turk.o
i'm not so sure about the post in the photoshop benchmark thread, it seems like there would be a little more fanfare if someone who posted here was the first to get it
The same poster put more details about his order/shipment on the ThinkSecret boards, complete with pics of the machine in and out of the box. He's got one alright.

Now...where' mine?!

jasonhh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2005, 05:51 PM

Yes it's true I do have a Quad G5 and i've seen other posts from people in the UK who've received their's too. Looks like the Cork Ireland factory was sent a batch last week.

BTW, i've been running a few tests for Barefeats which i'll be sending them shortly.

turk.o  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2005, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by jasonhh
Yes it's true I do have a Quad G5 and i've seen other posts from people in the UK who've received their's too. Looks like the Cork Ireland factory was sent a batch last week.

BTW, i've been running a few tests for Barefeats which i'll be sending them shortly.
awesome, glad to have this verified, it makes me happy. (nothing personal, btw, i'm skeptical by nature). congratulations on the new machine!

as tot he person who says that cc authorization is the first thing apple, does, as is clear from my post, i ordered three weeks ago, so it is not something they did right away. i remebr the same thing from my dual 2 rev. a, the authorization did not mean it was shipping, but it did mean it was shipping sooner than later at that point.

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 10, 2005, 06:13 PM

man, that's great. i'm really curious how the barefeats-tests turned out ...

it's judgement day, baby.
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2005, 06:40 PM

Congrats on the machine, Jason. Hope to join you soon.

Funny that PMs are showing up in the UK and Germany, while we're still waiting in the US. Maybe it's revenge for making those countries wait for the iTMS.

nayr x
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2005, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by KeyLimePi
The same poster put more details about his order/shipment on the ThinkSecret boards, complete with pics of the machine in and out of the box. He's got one alright.
DAMN! that thing is sexy!
way to add fuel to my OCD..

(Perpetuating detached, existentialist ennui since 2001)

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Nov 13, 2005, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Todd Madson
I'd love to hear what Cinebench performance (or Xbench even) those things kick out.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2005, 12:10 PM

So MacNN (as will I now I guess) just gave these guys some free advertising...

They've apparently gotten their first batch of Quads in already.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2005, 12:38 PM

Terrifying. I want one.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2005, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Originally Posted by Todd Madson
Terrifying. I want one.
For reference, here are the single CPU scores for Cinebench 2003:

G5 2.7: 385 (Dual 2.7 970FX)
G5 2.5: 359 (Quad 2.5 970MP)
G5 2.0: 286 (Dual 2.0 970FX)
G5 2.0: 275 (iMac 2.0 970FX)
G5 1.8: 249 (iMac 1.8 970FX)
G5 1.6: 220 (iMac 1.6 970FX)
G4 1.7: 150 (Sonnet 1.7 7447A)

Basically what this means is that clock-for clock, a G5 is roughly 50-60% faster than the G4 in this bench.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Nov 14, 2005 at 01:24 PM. )

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2005, 02:27 PM

Has anyone in the States had their Quad ship yet? Mine is still showing 11/18 for an estimated ship date.

JCT
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2005, 06:15 PM

Has anyone in the States had their Quad ship yet? Mine is still showing 11/18 for an estimated ship date.

Beats my December 26th date

JT
Quad 2.5 Ghz G5 7GB RAM + 7800GT
15" MBP 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 100 GB 7200 RPM HDD
G4 DA 1.2 Ghz 1.5 GB RAM + 4 HDD (fileserver)
G4 Cube 800MHz , Radeon 7000, 1.5 GB RAM
<not bad for a relatively new switcher...>

jaysones
Nov 14, 2005, 08:16 PM

I'm in the states and ordered just when the store came back up. I've had an 11/17 date since my order and it hasn't budged. That's Thursday and I got overnight shipping so I expect it to be here Friday. Of course, I check the order status about every 30 minutes!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2005, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
For reference, here are the single CPU scores for Cinebench 2003:

G5 2.7: 385 (Dual 2.7 970FX)
G5 2.5: 359 (Quad 2.5 970MP)
G5 2.0: 286 (Dual 2.0 970FX)
G5 2.0: 275 (iMac 2.0 970FX)
G5 1.8: 249 (iMac 1.8 970FX)
G5 1.6: 220 (iMac 1.6 970FX)
G4 1.7: 150 (Sonnet 1.7 7447A)

Basically what this means is that clock-for clock, a G5 is roughly 50-60% faster than the G4 in this bench.
FWIW, my 1.86Ghz Pentium M gets 246. After the switch that's going to be a huge boost for PowerBook Cinema 4D users (espically since they should be dualcores).

CIA
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2005, 11:11 PM

I ordered on the day they announced, but had to cancell and re-order to include the 7800 when it was offered. So my ship is now on or about Dec 26th, originally it was on or about Nov 22nd...
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

Chad A Wright
Nov 14, 2005, 11:22 PM

I just got an e-mail from Apple saying mine shipped. I ordered the second the store came back up on the 19th. I paid for overnight shipping, so I'm hoping to have it tomorrow. Of course RAM and CS2 won't be here for a few more days.
Chad Wright
Image Studios
The Journey Blog - http://chadwright.wordpress.com

jaysones
Nov 14, 2005, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Chad A Wright
I just got an e-mail from Apple saying mine shipped. I ordered the second the store came back up on the 19th. I paid for overnight shipping, so I'm hoping to have it tomorrow. Of course RAM and CS2 won't be here for a few more days.
Congrats, Chad! Are you in the US? I want to know that they're widely shipping here. *please, please, please*

Chad A Wright
Nov 14, 2005, 11:41 PM

I'm in Texas. If they aren't widely shipping now, they probably will be in a day or two.
Chad Wright
Image Studios

jaysones
Nov 14, 2005, 11:47 PM

Chad, I owe you one! I just checked and mine has shipped too! I haven't got the email yet, but Fed Ex says it arrives tomorrow at 3pm. How am I supposed to work tomorrow, when every footstep could be the mail guy?

Chad A Wright
Nov 14, 2005, 11:50 PM

Do like me, focus really hard on work tomorrow so you can take the next day off

Our Fedex runs about noon. Can't wait.
Chad Wright
Image Studios

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2005, 09:57 AM

Congrats on your shipping quads. Of course, now I too must check my order status every 15-20 minutes.

Chad A Wright
Nov 15, 2005, 04:34 PM

Got it at 11:00 this morning. Beautiful machine. It's been very snappy so far. Much more responsive than the Powerbook or mini I'm used to. It's even quiter than the mini sitting next to it. I only had time to transfer iTunes and iPhoto libraries. I'll install CS2 and Final Cut Studio tonight.
Chad Wright
Image Studios

nayr x
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2005, 04:57 PM

hmm... Jealousy tastes like pineapple...

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 15, 2005, 09:24 PM

very cool! can't wait to hear a more detailed report!
Joe

Alexander1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2005, 10:39 PM

Ordered Oct. 20, Shipped Nov. 15. Showed Nov 18 ship date since order, I believe.

Stock Quad config except for the addition of the PCI Express Fibre Channel card.

turk.o  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2005, 12:04 AM

wow, congrats to everyone that is getting theirs, it is great that apple is apparently shipping these in volume, well ahead of schedule.

chad, are you being entirely serious about it being more quiet than your mini? cause my rev a dual 2ghz is waaaaaaaaayyyyy louder than the mac minis i have been around, so if these new quads were that much quieter, it would just be crazy. but crazy in a good way. i assume you have the stock 6600 video card?

turk.o  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2005, 06:16 AM

ha! start a thread like this and then don't check your gmail account for a few days and then you get home to find a fedex note about how you need to sign for your quad g5! hooray. you can bet i'll be here to sign for it tomorrow. and i'll let you know about how loud it is myself.

for the record, ordered on 10/25, completely stock, shipping date of 11/23 until it shipped, on 11/12.

orangelego
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2005, 01:36 PM

ordered on Oct 27...Estimated Shipped By Dec 26 ... heres to waiting woot! damn me for asking for the 7800 GT

Jason Bourne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2005, 03:49 PM

Damn it, I'm the latest.

Ordered Oct 29th, estimated ship date DECEMBER 28th!

2.5GHz Quad-core PowerPC G5
1GB DDR533 NON ECC 2X512
250GB Serial ATA-7200rpm
16x SD DL(DVD-R/CD-RW)
NVIDIA GF 7800 GT 256 SDRAM
AirPort Extreme + Bluetooth
Apple WrlsKybd & Mouse
Mac OS X-Multilingual
Country Kit

Just got 4GB of RAM for it this morning, I guess it will just sit here on my desk for the next month and a half.

This sucks.

I'm tempted to order a 30" ACD as well, but can't imagine the torture of having that screen and not being able to use it (my current G4 can drive my 23" ACP but not the 30")

Jason Bourne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2005, 03:51 PM

Quick question:

When one orders the "Apple WrlsKybd & Mouse" does one get a Bluetooth KB + Apple's one-button bluetooth mouse or a Bluetooth KB + Apple's new multi-button USB mouse? I understand there is no bluetooth multibutton mouse (yet).

sboultbee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2005, 04:18 PM

I've got you beat on ship date... I ordered on Nov. 8, estimated ship date of January 6, 2006.

512 MB DDR533 NON ECC 2X256
500GB Serial ATA-7200rpm
16x SD DL(DVD-R/CD-RW)
Apple Keyboard & Mighty Mse
Mac OS X-Multilingual
Country Kit

Originally Posted by Jason Bourne
Damn it, I'm the latest.

Ordered Oct 29th, estimated ship date DECEMBER 28th!

1GB DDR533 NON ECC 2X512
250GB Serial ATA-7200rpm
16x SD DL(DVD-R/CD-RW)
Apple WrlsKybd & Mouse
Mac OS X-Multilingual
Country Kit

Just got 4GB of RAM for it this morning, I guess it will just sit here on my desk for the next month and a half.

This sucks.

I'm tempted to order a 30" ACD as well, but can't imagine the torture of having that screen and not being able to use it (my current G4 can drive my 23" ACP but not the 30")

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2005, 05:48 PM

FYI, mine shipped today (is it normal to hear 'Ode to Joy' playing in my head?)

I ordered on 10/20 and the est. ship date was 11/18, so they are shipping a little early. Mine is stock except for the wireless packet and 1GB of ECC RAM.

Jason Bourne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2005, 05:57 PM

FYI, mine shipped today (is it normal to hear 'Ode to Joy' playing in my head?)

I ordered on 10/20 and the est. ship date was 11/18, so they are shipping a little early. Mine is stock except for the wireless packet and 1GB of ECC RAM.
Nice! It is encouraging that they seem to be shipping out a bit sooner than estimated. I think the big question for me (and many others) is when will the quads with 7800GT ship? I could see that going either way, either the testing completes quickly and we get in line close to where we would have been had we ordered stock configs or the testing could go on forever and we may not see our Quads until much later.

Let's hope this is our christmas present to ourselves (or better) rather than our valentine's day gift to ourselves.

sboultbee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2005, 12:52 PM

Looks like for those of us who ordered our quads with the 7800 GT, Apple just added 8 weeks to the ordering date to get the estimated ship date. Hopefully, they will arrive earlier...

orangelego
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2005, 03:25 PM

i hope

Thinine
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2005, 06:23 PM

Apple charged my card today. So those of you who've had yours shipped, how long was it between the charge and the shipment for you? US residents may be more relevant due to local laws, but all stories are welcome.

turk.o  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 2005, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Thinine
Apple charged my card today. So those of you who've had yours shipped, how long was it between the charge and the shipment for you? US residents may be more relevant due to local laws, but all stories are welcome.
mine shipped two days apple re-authorized my card (see my second post in this thread). there appears to be a direct correlation between that and shipping, despite what the nay-sayer said later in the thread.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2005, 03:22 AM

Mine has shipped! Ordered Nov. 5 with an estimated ship of Dec. 7. Not bad!

CTO with 1GB non-ECC RAM and the wireless package.

nayr x
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2005, 04:34 AM

Mine shipped too!!

Ordered Nov 2, should arrive *today* (Nov 18th) @ ~3:00!!! (My ship by date was Dec 2nd.)

Show everyone how I feel, little smileys!

bonkers
Nov 18, 2005, 07:31 PM

No, Jeeeeeebbbbbuuuussssss!

Argh! Same fate as turk.o. Credit card denied processing. But my order was with the nVidia 7800...

To make matters worse it is Friday 3:30 Pacific Time & financials are done for the weekend. I won't be able to resolve this until Monday.
Dual G4 533MHz
1.2GB RAM
GeForce3
Mac OS X 10.3

Thinine
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2005, 08:41 PM

My tracking number still isn't showing up in FedEx's database. This is annoying.

tpmchugh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2005, 06:01 PM

My order was to ship by Nov 18th, now to January 19th!!!
I had 7800 card and guess this is reason. Very frustrating...

Mike Thole
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2005, 07:08 PM

Has anyone had a quad with the 7800 GT ship yet (or had their CC authorized)? If so, what was the ship date and your estimated date? Mine is estimated at Dec 28, but I'm hoping I can get it mid-December.

Forum Links
Forum Rules