Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > How to view source on page w/frames?

How to view source on page w/frames?
Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2005, 08:56 PM

I've tried clicking in different parts of a page (Safari 2.01) but still all the Safari's "View Source" option shows me is the code of one small frame.

Is there a trick to seeing all (or selecting among) the frames' source codes?

(I was trying to look at a spammer's site for clues about them, but the only source viewable had about 5 lines of code.)
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Love Calm Quiet  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2005, 08:57 PM

(I know this could be considered an App Forum question, but I think it has a lot of relevance for helping us newbie designers look at how different sites are built)
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

sboultbee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2005, 09:31 PM

You're going to need to right-click (or control-click with a single-button mouse) in the frame whose source you wish to view. This will bring up the context menu and one of the options will be 'View Frame Source'.

And, if you're going to be viewing source, consider installing SafariSource (http://www.tildesoft.com/Misc.html#SafariSource), it'll add syntax coloring to Safari's source view.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 28, 2005, 09:43 PM

You want to view the source of the 'main' page, the one that specifies the frameset?

I can't actually check that this works in Safari as well, 'cause I can't think of any frameset-driven sites to check it on; but, assuming it works the same as how I recall it working in IE on Windows, just go to View -> View source, instead of right-/option-clicking on the page.

That will only get you a short page, though, with a frameset defined in it. You can always just right-/option-click anywhere on any of the frames on the page and view the source that way, that gives you the source of the individual frame you're right-/option-clicking in.

skalie
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2005, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Love Calm Quiet
I've tried clicking in different parts of a page (Safari 2.01) but still all the Safari's "View Source" option shows me is the code of one small frame.

Is there a trick to seeing all (or selecting among) the frames' source codes?

(I was trying to look at a spammer's site for clues about them, but the only source viewable had about 5 lines of code.)
Another method.

If you look at the source of a frameset from, say, www.spammer.com , you'll more than likely see something like.........

Code:
<frame src="main.html">
Throw www.spammer.com/main.html into your browser, and there you are.

Forum Links
Forum Rules