Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Audio/Video Out of Sync in Final Cut Express

Audio/Video Out of Sync in Final Cut Express
Obi Wan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2006, 04:02 PM

Sometimes when I capture video from my miniDV camera into FC Express the audio and video gets out of sync. Sometimes the video and audio is perfect but sometimes it's pretty far off and gets farther and farther off over the course of the footage. Does anyone know what causes this or how to fix it? It's a MAJOR drag to have to sync up the audio by trial and error over and over again throughout every piece of video I capture. Thanks in advance!

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 3, 2006, 05:58 AM

Typically caused by capturing over timecode breaks, 12bit vs 16 bit audio, etc.

What audio settings are you using on you camera (12bit or 16bit)? Are you using the corresponding easy setup in FCE (32kHz or 48kHz)?

Do you have any timecode breaks?

Any dropped frames?

Obi Wan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2006, 09:13 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm at work now and not at my Mac, so I can't check on everything, but my audio was set at 16 bit and there were not any time code breaks. I tried the capture again, this time having the camera set on play and paused when I began capturing the video and it captured just fine. Maybe starting the capture first and then starting to play the video to be captured is part of the problem. From now on I'll start my video first, and then start my capture instead of the other way around.

I can't remember how I had it set up at 32kHz or 48kHz. I'm not sure when to use one or the other actually. Any thoughts as to when to use one over the other?

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 3, 2006, 10:45 AM

32kHz for 12bit audio. 48 kHz for 16 bit

Forum Links
Forum Rules