Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Installing Panther on 2nd HD but using current users

Installing Panther on 2nd HD but using current users
littlegreenspud
Senior User
Oct 25, 2003, 05:06 PM

I want to install Panther on my new (2nd) HD but I would like to have all my users on my 1st HD as users in Panther.

That's not to clear...

I have 10.2 on an internal HD with several users.

I would like to install Panther on my new 2nd HD and transfer all the users to this new HD.

Is this (easily) possible?

thanks

everyplace
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2003, 06:40 PM

You need to use the same technique that you use to move a home folder elsewhere. For example, on my old bondi iMac, I had a 40 gig drive in there, but you have to partition the drive so that the first partition is smaller than 8 gigs. So I had a 6 gig partition and a 32 gig partition (smaller due to formatting). But I wanted my home folder to be on the larger drive.

open up your terminal window and type "man ln" to learn about the symbolic link command. ln is a command to make an alias that the command-line programs can understand as an alias, and that the finder recognizes as well. Normal finder-created aliases don't work with command-line programs.

Boot into 10.2 on your first drive, in the terminal window, go to your second drive's root folder by typing

cd /volume/second_drive_name/

Then type

ln -s /volumes/first_drive_name/Users/ /Users

You have to put the first drive's name (the one with 10.2 on it) because it'll yell at you otherwise. When you boot into 10.3, the drive with 10.2 on it won't be referred to as the root drive, that's why

-everyplace

CatOne
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 07:04 PM

Originally posted by littlegreenspud:
I want to install Panther on my new (2nd) HD but I would like to have all my users on my 1st HD as users in Panther.

That's not to clear...

I have 10.2 on an internal HD with several users.

I would like to install Panther on my new 2nd HD and transfer all the users to this new HD.

Is this (easily) possible?

thanks
Well, there are two issues.

1) Copying the user info to the 2nd HD
2) Copying the user's home folders to the 2nd HD (or pointing the users at their home folders on the 1st HD).

For the first item, you need to replicate the NetInfo database... you could do this via an export and an import. This is a 1 or 2 minute operation, once you know what you're doing. I haven't done it personally so I can't tell you the steps. Basically it's going to be 'nidump' from the first HD, and 'niload' from Panther.

For the second item, it's probably easiest of you just create symbolic links on the external HD to the home directories on the internal HD. This keeps them in synch, and it works fine. Basically for user john it would be, in the "users" folder, ln -s john /volumes/internal HD/Users/john

You of course need to blow away the original directory first.

This stuff is pretty straightforward, but it's tough to coach someone through this on a BB.

littlegreenspud  (op)
Senior User
Oct 26, 2003, 05:52 AM

Thanks for the help guys, I will be trying it out later today.

Forum Links
Forum Rules