Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Well has Tiger improved performance in the Finder GUI as much as 50%

Well has Tiger improved performance in the Finder GUI as much as 50%
littlegreenspud
Senior User
Apr 29, 2005, 08:50 AM

I remember seeing some performance data for PowerBooks and they benefited in the Finder by as much as 50% from Tiger.

Anyone have Tiger and a PowerBook care to comment?

skelotar
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2005, 08:53 AM

I don't think it'll be officially released until tonight @ 6:00 pm... @ least thats what it says on apple's site.

Why the hell would they release it @ 6:00 pm? Why not friday... all day...
::: r00t ::: - 15" PBook / 1.25 GB/ 1.33Ghz

littlegreenspud  (op)
Senior User
Apr 29, 2005, 09:11 AM

Yeah stupid, our local Apple store has copies but will not sell them until 6:00pm, by which time they are shut! And as Monday is a holiday they will not be open until Tuesday!

magness
Apr 29, 2005, 09:28 AM

Well our Applestore (Nextbyte australia) actually opened until about 9 PM at night. I'm installing it right now on the PB15" 1.5ghz. I'm even going to give the thing a clean since it's been with me all through india and there's still smog bits stuck to it...

azt33
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2005, 09:42 AM

It's opened from 6 PM till 8 PM here too, while it actually closes at 6 PM normally.
MacBook Pro 15.4/ i7 2.2 / 8.0/ 750/ DL SD/ APX
iPhone 4 16GB (black)

iREZ
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2005, 12:01 PM

i have it on my pb for sometime now...i really don't see tooo much of an improvement...but then again my pb isn't the fastest out there, and the gpu is pretty crap...so that could be a reason.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

skelotar
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2005, 03:12 PM

iREZ.. if you PB is crap and hasn't seen much improvement, I don't think my 333 extra ghz of processor and miniscule 528mb of ram will see much improvement either...

that will really suck if it doesn't improve as much as they'd have you believe
::: r00t ::: - 15" PBook / 1.25 GB/ 1.33Ghz

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2005, 03:55 PM

Finder performance doesn't seem much different on my latest-rev 15", but I didn't think it was particularly sluggish before. Updating is instant if that's what you mean. All in all, though, I would say the system is significantly faster. Scrolling through ~800 songs in iTunes flies now.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

osxisfun
Apr 29, 2005, 04:11 PM

> Scrolling through ~800 songs in iTunes flies now.

would you say 2 or 3 times faster? or less?

b1NARY73
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2005, 06:04 PM

I got my copy this morning, and installed it on my 15"Ti 550 with 1gig of RAM. I did a clean install, and it seems a bit more responsive, but nothing really noticeable over 10.3... But a nice update to say the least. Now I just need to get a copy for my 17".
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.5GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.16GHZ Intel Core Duo / 2GB Ram / 120GB
 Macbook Black / 2.4GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB

wilsonng
Senior User
Apr 29, 2005, 09:16 PM

Has the OS X Finder's performance improved when viewing a folder with 1,000+ files in it?

Under OS9, the Finder would quickly display a folder with 1,000+ files.

Under OS X, if I have a folder in columns view and I wanted to switch to the single column view, it would pause a bit for switching views.

Does this performance lag have something to do with OS X being UNIX-based or does it have to take more things into account like the .DS_Store files and such?

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2005, 01:21 AM

The finder has not improved (speedwise) as reported in ars and in the forums. But what has improved is the scrolling in other applications iphoto, FF (much smoother as faster), itunes etc. I wanted to try it out in a PDF in adobe professional but this application does not seem to like tiger and crashes on start up.
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

mrmister
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2005, 03:24 AM

The Finder's speed and performance have improved; sadly it's behavior has not, so it is still prone to weird display issues and wonky GUI choices.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2005, 11:19 AM

It doesn't seem any different on my 15" 1.67...

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
May 1, 2005, 03:41 AM

I can't really tell on my 1.33 12in. But you never know. It could be improving, but our minds are not quick enough to detect it.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2005, 02:27 AM

It was fast on Panther. It's amazingly fast on Tiger!
- MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.3Ghz / 256SSD (Work laptop)
- iMac 3.2Ghz 1TB

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2005, 10:28 AM

just installed tiger this morning. there is a remarkable difference in speed and smoothness. I'm really impressed!!
I gotta have more cowbell.

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2005, 11:47 AM

I did an archive and install on my 12" PB Rev B (1Ghz, 512Mb RAM), and I'm getting a lot of beach balling, dock bouncing and applications hanging going on now. My Dad installed Tiger on his 3 G5's before I'd installed on my powerbook, and when I spoke to him on the phone, he was raving about how fast spotlight was. Now fare enough my powerbook doesn't have the same grunt under the hood as even his single processing 1.8Ghz G5, but I would still have expected it to be reasonably quick.

I just timed it. I clicked on the Spotlight icon, and typed in "system preferences" it took me 6 seconds to do that, as I got part way through the word "preferences", the characters stopped appearing and I got a beach ball. Eventually the beach ball went and the rest of the "preferences" word appeared. It finally finished searching 54 seconds after I started typing. That's really not the performance that I'd hoped for. I'm playing some music in iTunes, have a Word Document open (nothing big), have iCal, Address Book, Mail, Firefox and NewsFire open. So it's not like I'm editing video or a 1 gig photoshop file or anything and expecting a lightening response.

Not sure whether to try a clean install sometime next week, or to just wait and see if 10.4.1 resolves the problem.
12" Rev B PB

JKT
Professional Poster
May 3, 2005, 10:19 AM

Be aware that Quartz 2D Extreme is not actually switched on in the 10.4 release - if you are expecting speed gains in the GUI, it is likely that it will be due to this feature and could be where the wild claims were coming from. We will have to wait for the bugs to be ironed out and the feature activated in an update before we can test that hypothesis.

FWIW, the speed of the Finder has improved greatly in some respects, such as the display of image previews on the icons in icon view etc. Scrolling is definitely better IMO, and when Q2DE was switched on (using Quartz debug from the developer tools) it was faster again although exhibiting some "tearing" defects which is probably why its off by default at present.

mrgaskell
Senior User
May 3, 2005, 11:40 AM

You also have to remember that Spotlight indexes EVERY file on your entire drive, so if you have a large drive or a lot of documents, it has to index all of those. My 12" 1.33 ghz PB took about three hours to index everything. My Cube, which has a 80GB HD and a 120GB external HD attached to it with a measly 450 mhz G4, seemed to take about 7 or 8 hours for Spotlight to stop!
BlackBook 2Ghz C2D, 2GB, 120GB HD | Black 80GB iPod 5.5 | 8GB Red iPod Nano |
Check out my personal and classroom sites!

JKT
Professional Poster
May 4, 2005, 10:53 AM

Read this. It appears that I was probably right - Q2DE will give an approx 55% boost to the Quartz Graphics scores in XBench on a PB. However, it only translates into an ~11% boost to the UI. How meaningful the XBench scores are is any one's guess, though.

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2005, 11:04 AM

Thats interesting IKT. Perhaps QE2Donly minimally boosts the UI score because it saves cpu cycles for ui rendering. I wonder how this will pan out.
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

Forum Links
Forum Rules