Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook transparency graphics glitches

Powerbook transparency graphics glitches
SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2005, 01:22 PM

I have a newish Powerbook (1 rev before the current revision) that is giving me some graphics problems. Here is a screenshot of Safari showing what I'm talking about. It also seems to appear in Dashboard's transparent backdrop, and in some of Expose's transparency effects. Strangely, it appears in the transparent border in Expose's F11 function, but not in the transparent backdrop of the F9 and F10 functions. I definitely did not notice it until very recently, but it also looks very similar to graphics glitches that started appearing for me in Oni sometime after the Powerbook graphics card software update earlier this year.

Is this a software issue, or a problem with my hardware? I ran the Apple Hardware Extended Test and it reported no problems.

I'm running 10.4.3, with all updates installed, and Safari 2.0.2. Hardware specs are in my sig.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2005, 01:44 PM

If the hardware test reported no problems, it's most likely a software issue. Try repairing permissions etc. then install the 10.4.3 combo updater again.

SpaceMonkey  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2005, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by jamil5454
If the hardware test reported no problems, it's most likely a software issue. Try repairing permissions etc. then install the 10.4.3 combo updater again.
If I download the combo updater, I can just install it right over my current 10.4.3 system? Or do I somehow have to uninstall 10.4.3?

mrmister
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2005, 05:09 PM

You can install right over.

SpaceMonkey  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2005, 05:39 PM

I have downloaded the combo update twice, and each time I try to mount the disk image, it fails to load and gives me an "invalid checksum" error.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2005, 05:52 PM

this might be stupid, but how many colors are you displaying in system preferences > displays

SpaceMonkey  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2005, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by mdc
this might be stupid, but how many colors are you displaying in system preferences > displays
Millions. I've tested it with Thousands, and it displays the same.

SpaceMonkey  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2005, 06:39 PM

Update: the disk image mounted after I re-downloaded it using Camino instead of Safari. Reinstalling the update didn't fix it, however.

ibook_steve
Nov 9, 2005, 07:06 PM

Hate to tell you, but that looks like a graphics chip problem, possibly bad VRAM. The hardware test would not catch it. A logic board replacement most probably is necessary to fix it.

Steve

pete
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2005, 07:33 PM

I hate to concur but I had a problem similar to that with a powerbook G3 lombard and Apple had to replace the logic board to fix it.

SpaceMonkey  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2005, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve
Hate to tell you, but that looks like a graphics chip problem, possibly bad VRAM. The hardware test would not catch it. A logic board replacement most probably is necessary to fix it.

Steve
I guess you're right. I just booted from my old G4 Power Mac using target disk mode and the problem persisted. I guess I'll call Apple. It seems like such a minor problem, but since it seems to have gotten worse over time (at first it was only in Oni, and now it's in Safari, Expose, etc.) I should probably just take advantage of my warranty.

SpaceMonkey  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2005, 06:07 PM

Update, and another opportunity to be neurotic: so I called Apple and they said to send it in. The confirmation email that I got listed it as a "video issue," which is accurate, whereas the "problem description" on the airbill from the DHL box says "defective pixel(s)." As I've never sent anything in to Apple before, I don't know if I should be worried about this. Basically, I'm just worried that they'll run some kind of pixel test, find no dead pixels, and just ship it back to me without doing anything.

pete
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2005, 06:33 PM

I would call them just to make sure their notes are accurate. Ask them first what it says and then clarify anything that doesn't seem clear. This way you'll know that they at least have the right information from which to troubleshoot.

Good luck!

Forum Links
Forum Rules