Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Question about MB Hard Drive to MBP

Question about MB Hard Drive to MBP
tmk_id
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2007, 08:16 PM

I plan or purchasing a MBP in a few weeks and was wondering if it is possible to just remove the hard drive from my Black MB straight to the new MBP and vice versa. Thanks.

ibook_steve
May 16, 2007, 08:22 PM

Sure, but it's a lot easier to add or remove the hard drive from the MB than it is on the MBP. Just use Migration Assistant or CCC or something instead.

Steve

RogueSqdn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2007, 08:44 PM

Migration assistant and a FireWire cable ($19.00 from the Apple Store). Worked for me.

Last Saturday I got the 2.33GHz 15.4" MBP, upgraded from the original CD 1.83GHz MB. Just turn on the new MBP, and when it asks you if you want to transfer information, choose "from another Mac," and follow the directions.
Rogue
-------

MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo w/2GB DDR2 RAM & Logitech BT MX1000.
"I can feel your anger... it gives you focus, makes you stronger!" -- Emperor Palpatine, Revenge of the Sith

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2007, 09:13 PM

The migration cable can really be used everyday to keep your computers in sync. Just restart the computer you want to access and hold T down until the firewire symbol pops up and plug one end in both computers, the disk just mounts right on your desktop alongside your internal, you can use it just like an external HD. You don't really need to use migration assistant at all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules