Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Grand Theft Auto IV

Grand Theft Auto IV (Page 7)
boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 2, 2008, 01:23 AM

Good stuff, much enjoyed.
The self proclaimed wheelman should have his license revoked IMO.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2008, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Oh, and I really wish they logged the games like bungie.
Yeah, this game is sorely missing a Halo 3 type theater.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2008, 06:43 AM

^ I hope they add that asap.
we don't have time to stop for gas

starman
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2008, 08:14 AM

Running over Dakar was fun

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2008, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
The self proclaimed wheelman should have his license revoked IMO.
That's cold man, real cold. I didn't say I was good yet. I'm notoriously slow to adapt to new controls.

And I still say killing is the weaker part of my game.

One thing is for certain, driving + shooting at the same time = ultimate fail for me. Somehow Boguesy killed me while I was on foot doing this, though.

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Running over Dakar was fun
I'm not sure you were trying to kill anyone by any conventional means.

---

So I'll go ahead and guess that no one liked Team Mafiya last night. Cops N Robbers was kinda meh-like.
( Last edited by Dakar the Fourth; May 2, 2008 at 08:29 AM. )

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2008, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Yeah, this game is sorely missing a Halo 3 type theater.
That reminds me, I wonder how Driver ever did that. Not that they included it in later games, I think.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2008, 09:30 AM

IMO, Halo multiplayer >>>>> GTA IV multiplayer.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 2, 2008, 09:34 AM

GTA IV single player >>>>>> anything to do with Halo.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2008, 09:34 AM

I disagree entirely.
GTA4 > Halo 3
we don't have time to stop for gas

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2008, 09:44 AM

I think the games are mostly incomparable. Halo is known for it's multiplayer (and has had 3 versions to perfect it). GTA is all about the story.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2008, 09:57 AM

Oh wow, Amazon actually shipped my copy of GTA this morning.

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 2, 2008, 10:48 AM

great times last night guys, although my first experience with multiplayer it was very impressive. I think cops and crooks could be an awesome gametype with the right amount of people. Also team deathmatch works well because theres so many ways to get the job done (kill people).

EDIT: although i must admit theres no better feeling than shooting someone through their windshield with you gun out the window as you drive past, probably the most satisfying kill in a video game (except a sticky grenade in halo)

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
May 2, 2008, 12:14 PM

Eh, Halo (campaign or multiplayer) never really did it for me. Yeah, I've had fun times playing Halo with friends, but...
Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
GTA IV single player >>>>>> anything to do with Halo.
That's where it's at. And even the multiplayer is more fun for me than Halo.

Had a great time playing with yall too!

starman
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2008, 01:29 PM

I'm partial to Halo.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2008, 01:31 PM

I was wondering where sek is today and then I realized he's probably baked out of his mind right now. I really hope they tried driving drunk (in-game and out) on top of that.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 2, 2008, 02:54 PM

@Dakar, I was (mostly) kidding.

Driving and shooting is kind of difficult, but I managed a triple kill doing it in one of our cops n crooks match. That is my favorite game mode. Team car jack was fun, too. Team Mafiya can be fun, but it looked like everyone just wanted to kill each other.

When you (think you) are ready, I'd love to do some races.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2008, 03:39 PM

@Dakar, I was (mostly) kidding.
Interstingly, once I had stogieman in the car, I fell into our Halo strategy of drive-by handbrake U drive-by. It would have been passable if I'd been helping shoot.

When you (think you) are ready, I'd love to do some races.
After last night I'm torn betwen playing single or multi. I think I need to advance the story some more before I go back online (alone). I'm still in the first chapter.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 2, 2008, 04:41 PM

Like I mentioned before, I bought the game for the multiplayer, I'm about 15% through the story, and that was in the first couple of hours I had the game. I'll be playing ranked matches when I am on. At $1000 a win for races, ranks come easy.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2008, 04:55 PM

Semi-off topic: kb, stogie, maroma, sek -- I'm officially back at 3 Mb Verizon! Hahahahaha

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 2, 2008, 11:39 PM

I convinced a friend of mine to buy GTA IV for his PS3 tonight. I've been waiting for this game for so long, but after a couple hours, I was ready to quit for the night. It's just...lacking, I guess. The cars all seem really slow, the handling is drastically worse than previous games, and the camera lags way behind on the turns, so every time you take a sharp turn, you're most likely going to hit a wall, pedestrian, pole, cop, etc., which is irritating when you're trying to get something done for real. The characters don't look much if any better than GTA:SA and I can't really figure out the targeting system.

I know I'll be playing more of this later, and maybe I'll like it more then, but I was expecting to spend most of the night playing this, but after a couple hours I'd had enough.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 2, 2008, 11:42 PM

No one is joining ranked races... WTF!

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 3, 2008, 01:52 AM

Semi-off topic: kb, stogie, maroma, sek -- I'm officially back at 3 Mb Verizon! Hahahahaha
oh no, goodbye people pc online?

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2008, 03:42 AM

I was wondering where sek is today and then I realized he's probably baked out of his mind right now. I really hope they tried driving drunk (in-game and out) on top of that.
No comment.

The 360 was on for a whopping 12 hours today, from 3:30 when I got out of work, till......now!

Really sank my teeth into multiplayer....and just about everything else. The game was a big hit with everyone who played it tonight, particularly the excellent character reactions and physics.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 3, 2008, 04:37 AM

So... I was rank 3, now I'm back down to 1... WTF?? The money I had has diminished as well.

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 3, 2008, 07:27 AM

Played some more lastnight, and got the warm coffee . Also froze on me (360 version), I was doing this

Also watched some TV, Republican Space Rangers is brilliant! .

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2008, 11:37 AM

I'm watching X Play on G4. What is the "Hot Coffee Mod"?
45/47

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2008, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I convinced a friend of mine to buy GTA IV for his PS3 tonight. I've been waiting for this game for so long, but after a couple hours, I was ready to quit for the night. It's just...lacking, I guess. The cars all seem really slow, the handling is drastically worse than previous games, and the camera lags way behind on the turns, so every time you take a sharp turn, you're most likely going to hit a wall, pedestrian, pole, cop, etc., which is irritating when you're trying to get something done for real. The characters don't look much if any better than GTA:SA and I can't really figure out the targeting system.
The accelerating has been slowed, since it was pretty much full bore or nothing, I always thought driver had it right with the second button for flooring it. The handling is probably more realistic. The cars in III were really slidey, and they reduced that each game, but now it seems impossible to get them to slide much unless you hit the handbrake, at which time, you do a 270º. All I can say is turn planning is key here.

The camera lag isn't annoying as its constant need to recenter itself as soon as you let go of the stick. That should be option. Another, better option, that I've seen in other games, is the ability to choose between a tight and loose camera, modifying how much it lags while you turn.

I agree the people aren't amazing as some of the reviews made it out to be (perhaps they were comparing it to old gen GTAs?), but there is a lot of detail, less pop-in, no draw-in that I've really noticed, and it's huge. I'm still impressed.

Oh, and I think the targeting is dramatically improved from the old games.

(Next convince Legend 02 to pick it up as well)

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2008, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
oh no, goodbye people pc online?
Nope, but it was still more stable then your PSU connection, boy. When was the last time you remember me dropping?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2008, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
I'm watching X Play on G4. What is the "Hot Coffee Mod"?
Google "Hot Coffee" and it's all of the top results. It was a crack to access the sex scene in GTA: San Andreas.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 3, 2008, 03:55 PM

So I have been hearing how some people are having the game not load on them and I was lucky that after 21 hours of play I didn't have a single hiccup.

Then yesterday when I went to resume my game my 60 gig PS3 would just hang on when it was loading the level. Choosing quit game would restart the system.

I started to panic as I can't imagine losing 20 hours so I back up my profile and game save to a memory stick and deleted them and then the game launched fine. So I tried moving my saves back and then the game hung again.

I deleted the 3.3 gigs cashe that GTA installs and tried it again. No dice.

Spook too soon, problem came back. Turing off my internet connection fixed it, seems tons of people are having this problem.

Then I tried it again and after a longer than usual loading screen it worked thank the lord.

So the lesson is back up your games every few hours just in case.

On another note I unlocked the 3rd island at about 35%-40%. Nothing that exciting there, mostly just factories, some nice houses and a crappy area.

Anyway, love the game but they gotta look into that loading problem pronto.
( Last edited by analogue SPRINKLES; May 3, 2008 at 04:35 PM. )

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 3, 2008, 04:56 PM

Nope, but it was still more stable then your PSU connection, boy. When was the last time you remember me dropping?
touche, after this week i'll be back to a normal connection for summer so we'll see if i can live up to the online standards... and the boy comment? haha (straight out of a GTA cutscene)

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 3, 2008, 04:59 PM

does anyone know if you get a safehouse with a garage? i'm really missing my car collection for past games...

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2008, 05:25 PM

The funny thing about car collections is that you usually opt to steal a new beater instead of using the precious awesome cars you've ended up collecting.

At least it was that way with me.

BTW, the taxi system is awesome, I'll pay for the ability to go pick a friend up without driving for 4 minutes first.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2008, 05:28 PM

I got stuck (2 fails, and its on to something new for me) on the next to final mission for the first chapter, so I've managed ti get myself all the way up to 24% without unlocking the second island. Actually, I've finished all the side missions at this point, and I have to do the mission now. Well, I did the some multi avoiding it, but you know what I mean.

Edit: sek, yeah, totally agree on the first point. I always though they should have a regenerating car you could set (think how in VC the same car would always be spawned at the mansion). The only thing was you'd have to steal the first and bring it back to set it.

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 3, 2008, 05:52 PM

i definitely agree i would never drive my cars, haha but i'd like to have a garage of exotics to use when i call brucie for a street race or need a fast car to do some stunt jumps...
update: just got the third safehouse and still no garage...

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2008, 05:53 PM

I convinced a friend of mine to buy GTA IV for his PS3 tonight. I've been waiting for this game for so long, but after a couple hours, I was ready to quit for the night. It's just...lacking, I guess. The cars all seem really slow, the handling is drastically worse than previous games,
Far more realistic IMO. Cars don't get up to top speed in a short time anyways, not to mention taking a 90º turn at 40 MPH while jacking the ebrake usually doesn't work out. The handling is harder, but drastically improved over the other games. Give it another couple of hours and you'll master it.

and the camera lags way behind on the turns, so every time you take a sharp turn, you're most likely going to hit a wall, pedestrian, pole, cop, etc., which is irritating when you're trying to get something done for real.
I think this is more due to you not using the right thumbstick enough to look around while you're driving. Don't rely on the camera they give you, I'm fiddling with the camera almost 100% of the time when I'm driving anyways. I feel like it's meant to be purposely difficult in order to add actual difficulty to a game where driving is just about the most important part of.

The characters don't look much if any better than GTA:SA and I can't really figure out the targeting system.
Gimme some more of what you're smoking, man! The characters in SA are laughably bad compared to the models in IV. Just go by the burger hut and look at the fat biker's faces up close and then go see what kind of blocky polygons SA has and you'll see just how wrong you are. The character models are phenomenal in this game and their reactions and physics are incredible.

Auto-target IS very frustrating, sometimes I just don't understand why it targets someone across the street and behind me instead of the dude with an Uzi right in front of me.

I know I'll be playing more of this later, and maybe I'll like it more then, but I was expecting to spend most of the night playing this, but after a couple hours I'd had enough.
My advice is that you need to forget about SA. This is a whole new bag, it's not going to be anything like SA.

I predict after several more hours you'll warm up considerably to IV.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2008, 07:24 PM

I'm really getting into this game... and the weird thing about that is that I've never properly played a GTA game before. I've played hours and hours of the previous games, but always just screwing around on my friends copies, or watching them play.

I owned them on the Xbox, but only got about 2 or 3 hours in before I lost interest.

At any rate, this game has really sucked me in. There is just always so much to do. It's overwhelming. And just about all of it is fun.

I'm still in awe of this city. Say what you want about the graphics, but the level of detail in this enormous city is mind boggling.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 3, 2008, 07:25 PM

I put in 5 more hours today.

The camera lag on turns is still pissing me off.
The targeting system is still pissing me off.

I do like being able to run away from cops while they're arresting you, though.

Is it true that there are no more flyable planes? I've broken into the airport a few times but it doesn't seem they're flyable. I thought that was one of the best parts of SA.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2008, 07:35 PM

I've finally got the targeting system down. I struggled with it as well, but I'm really getting the hang of it. I've also mastered driving, which was also giving me fits.

I have to imagine that every other game developer is in panic mode now. I look at a game like Dead Rising, which really impressed me when it came out... well GTA makes Dead Rising look like complete garbage. Especially when you consider that Dead Rising had to load all the time. Long long load times as well. Everything in GTA is just so seamless. The graphics themselves might not be so impressive compared to shooters and other more focused games, but when you look at the scope of what they attempted and the amount of detail and life the were able to put into such an enormous and seamless environment, well, it's an amazing accomplishment.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2008, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I think this is more due to you not using the right thumbstick enough to look around while you're driving. Don't rely on the camera they give you, I'm fiddling with the camera almost 100% of the time when I'm driving anyways. I feel like it's meant to be purposely difficult in order to add actual difficulty to a game where driving is just about the most important part of.
Gotta disagree, it requires too much use of the thumbstick, especially with its constant recentering. That was the one 'improvement' from San Andreas I despised.

I wonder if its there to add difficulty on purpose too, but if so, it's not more realistic. It's much easier to look around in real life.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2008, 09:25 PM

I played a couple rounds of deathmatch online, and I have to say that close combat sucks BALLS. As soon as I get within a couple feet of someone my screen goes all crazy and zooms who knows where, and then I typically die. I still managed to get 2nd and 1st on my 1st and 2nd games, respectively.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2008, 12:37 PM

I wish the driving camera angle was 5º higher and I agree that deathmatch is best played from a distance with an assault rifle.

GTA Race is my favorite scenario so far, I came in 1st yesterday after somebody blew me up with an RPG as I ran them over. I then walked it in to the last checkpoint FTW!

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 4, 2008, 01:59 PM

Here are lots of cool cell phone numbers that spawn cars/weapons/weather etc.
Grand Theft Auto IV Cheats - Grand Theft Auto IV Codes - Grand Theft Auto IV Secrets
Submit Your Grand Theft Auto IV Easter Egg Finds | Game | Life from Wired.com
And to answer the question about planes... no there are no planes but the chopper is cooler anyway. It is on the south side of the second island at the heli-tours. There is also one in the north of the 3rd island.
dial fly-555-0100

Anyone manage to get into the Statue of liberty so see the heart yet?

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2008, 02:04 PM

Christ, I actually am stuck.

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 4, 2008, 02:59 PM

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2008, 03:44 PM

I played GTA IV for the first time last night at my mates, and my gosh - its amazing! I especially love driving, I got used to it within 5 minutes. I'm going to buy it after my exams, along with a console to play it on!
Macbook mid 2007: 2Gb Ram, Intel core 2 duo, 2.16GHz, 500Gb HDD, Snow Leopard 10.6.6
HTC HD7 (Windows Phone 7!)
iPod 5G 80GB
iPod Mini 4GB (Blue)

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 4, 2008, 03:52 PM

Either console you get it for will be a good choice, although everyone will give you the reasons for both but its a amazying game for either PS3 or X360
SUBLIMINAL MESSAGE
Xbox 360
Xbox 360
Xbox 360
Xbox 360

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2008, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
And to answer the question about planes... no there are no planes but the chopper is cooler anyway. It is on the south side of the second island at the heli-tours. There is also one in the north of the 3rd island.?
But SA had both planes and choppers. I don't know why we can't have both. Also, is there any way to have two people playing at the same time on the same console? That was loads of fun in SA.

I beat that one on the first try the PS3 version must be way easier.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 4, 2008, 05:22 PM

. Also, is there any way to have two people playing at the same time on the same console? That was loads of fun in SA.
Nope.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 4, 2008, 05:54 PM

But SA had both planes and choppers. I don't know why we can't have both. Also, is there any way to have two people playing at the same time on the same console? That was loads of fun in SA.

I beat that one on the first try the PS3 version must be way easier.
As did I (on the 360). I took my time taking down the guys and he never got away.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Forum Links
Forum Rules