Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Grand Theft Auto IV

Grand Theft Auto IV (Page 9)
::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2008, 02:55 PM

Its quiet in here today.

I finally found my first pigeon last night. I actually didn't technically find it, as it was shown to me by a cleverly placed camera angle at the end of a Little Jacob job. 99 more flying rats to go!

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2008, 03:01 PM

I didn't get a chance to play last night. Judging from my friends list, a few others didn't either.

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 7, 2008, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Its quiet in here today.

I finally found my first pigeon last night. I actually didn't technically find it, as it was shown to me by a cleverly placed camera angle at the end of a Little Jacob job. 99 more flying rats to go!
If only it was that easy... more like 199 more flying rats to go.
The 3 i've found have been on complete accident too, if your near one you can hear it too.

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 7, 2008, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
I didn't get a chance to play last night. Judging from my friends list, a few others didn't either.
Yea i haven't played in a few days, tomorrow morning marks the official end of this semester with my last final so once i arrive home it should be GTA filled (anyone else still on for some multi tomorrow night?)

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2008, 03:03 PM

I've shot 4 or something, I'm happy about the 5 stunt jumps I've completed though.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2008, 03:04 PM

I've shot somewhere around 4, and 3 of them were found thanks to missions.

I do have like 8 or 9 stunt jumps completed.

Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2008, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
If only it was that easy... more like 199 more flying rats to go.
The 3 i've found have been on complete accident too, if your near one you can hear it too.
Oh yeah, there are 200 total. Damn!

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2008, 03:08 PM

If your near one you can hear it too.
The range isn't good enough though (nor the volume)... With all the ambient sounds of the city, you could be a car length from one and not hear it.

And as far as I can tell, if you run by it quickly, you won't hear it either.

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 7, 2008, 03:08 PM

i think i'm right around 11 stunt jumps. Correct me if i'm wrong but there's 50? I plan on take a story break for a while and finishing off some side stuff before i move along, i'm right at 52.xx% right now.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2008, 03:17 PM

Yep, 50 jumps.

I miss the GTA 3 way of stunts jumps. You get paid for every jump and the amount increases by 5Gs at first and then eventually 10 extra Gs per jump. Vice City did this too, but the amount of money you made from stunt jumps was negligible.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2008, 03:20 PM

Chalk that up to the realism they're trying to portray.

So, how far are you guys willing to before resorting to guides for doing the jumps and pigeons, if at all?

Oh, and biggest change I'd like to see: Mark whenever you find something on your map. Pigeons, weapons, jumps. Hell, with the jumps they should mark it if you find it, then cross it off once its completed.

And it wouldn't hurt if they told you how many jumps and pigeons there were per island. I just don't see how they expect people to do this without cheating eventually.

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 7, 2008, 03:23 PM

Chalk that up to the realism they're trying to portray.

So, how far are you guys willing to before resorting to guides for doing the jumps and pigeons, if at all?

Oh, and biggest change I'd like to see: Mark whenever you find something on your map. Pigeons, weapons, jumps. Hell, with the jumps they should mark it if you find it, then cross it off once its completed.

And it wouldn't hurt if they told you how many jumps and pigeons there were per island. I just don't see how they expect people to do this without cheating eventually.
I think the jumps i'll try to handle on my own, its always been a favorite 'extra' in the games for me but the pigeons are just going to be close to impossible to find, i know eventually when i'm trying to find them all i'll be using a guide at some point, I think this will be the first time in a GTA game i'm trying for 100% the closest i ever got was in GTA III i had 92 or so.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2008, 03:26 PM

I have an urge to load up my other games to see both my % and time played
I imagine Vice CIty is probably near the top for %, III for time.

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 7, 2008, 03:33 PM

i booted up GTAIII a few days after getting IV and wow was it a shock, You don't realize how far the series has come until you drive around in III (or VC/SA)

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 7, 2008, 03:59 PM

I don't really see finding these things as any great accomplishment, since to find all of them it'd be so tedious and boring. I've already looked up stunt jump locations just for fun, and if I do get the urge to go on a pigeon killing spree I'll look those up too.

I did find a stunt jump on accident the other day, while fleeing a 3 star rating from the cops. I took a couple of them down and got away with their car. Started heading down the road and noticed a ramp. Took off and the slo-mo was awesome, I had a trail of 4 cop cars doing the same jump with me!

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2008, 04:00 PM

I have already decided to do as much as I possibly can before resorting to walkthroughs/cheats. But I do imagine that the whole pigeon thing is going to drive me crazy. Unless there are some places where there are a bunch of pigeons in one area, like in a park being fed by a kind old lady. In which case I would then throw a molitov cocktail and take em all out, kind old lady be damned.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 7, 2008, 04:02 PM

Oh just to add, that's all I've looked up in guides so far. I'm trying to get through the story without any kind of help.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2008, 04:58 PM

I've got to say, stunt jumps are real helpful way to evade stars.

But I find the pigeons are really lame this time round, especially with the new subtle glow.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2008, 06:29 PM

I'll cheat for pigeons, but I think I can manage to find all the jumps myself.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2008, 07:05 PM

I've turned my cell off and am just free roaming, I've located 4 more pigeons, and I accidentally killed one that I never saw while nading some cars.

Oh, and 12 jumps found, 11 completed.

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 7, 2008, 07:25 PM

i completely forgot you could turn off your cell phone, that would of been very helpful instead of turning everyone that called me down...F***

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2008, 07:45 PM

KB, how do you get in contact with that dude? I need the money and I love stealing cars and delivering them in pristine condition.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2008, 07:47 PM

Also, can you still do missions for the regulars with your phone off? Or is it just free-roam stuff?

Jacob and Roman always call me at the most inappropriate times.

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 7, 2008, 08:03 PM

i really don't know how i go into contact with him but i looked it up for you on the GTA IV Wiki
You get this option after the Mission "NO. 1" for Brucie has been completed as well as the "Smackdown" Mission for Derrick McReary. Stevie will send you a text message.
In that message he will send you a short description where it is and a picture of it
There's 30 cars in total, and you can do more after your done for extra cash, sometimes their quite difficult because his description is go vague but its fun and worth it for the money/2% completion/achievements

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 7, 2008, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Also, can you still do missions for the regulars with your phone off? Or is it just free-roam stuff?

Jacob and Roman always call me at the most inappropriate times.
Just free-roam. As soon as you start a mission sleep mode is turned off.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
May 7, 2008, 09:45 PM

Yeah, Stevie comes right after you do Derrick's (Packie's brother) first mission. Actually haven't done a mission for Stevie yet; I tried doing the second Derrick mission (on the boat) and I kept dying, so I turned off the xbox because I need to study for my last exam in the morning too (god knows why I'm posting on here right now!).

I agree about eventually putting the story on hold to do some side missions; I've been ignoring the friend duties (bowling, eating, drinking, etc.) and Kate, and have only found around 5 stunt jumps and 0 pigeons.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2008, 09:54 PM

Just over 30 Hrs now.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2008, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
Yeah, Stevie comes right after you do Derrick's (Packie's brother) first mission.
i really don't know how i go into contact with him but i looked it up for you on the GTA IV Wiki
Bingo, thanks guys!

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 7, 2008, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post

Just over 30 Hrs now.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
May 7, 2008, 10:25 PM

Oh, and regarding the bank robbery:

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 7, 2008, 11:33 PM

Oh, and regarding the bank robbery:

That mission taught me a very big lesson in GTA IV, never go into a mission (at least after that) without body armor, it seems like every mission i've played ive needed it, i feel like all the other GTA's i could get away without it but now its almost a necessity

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 8, 2008, 01:37 AM

That mission taught me a very big lesson in GTA IV, never go into a mission (at least after that) without body armor, it seems like every mission i've played ive needed it, i feel like all the other GTA's i could get away without it but now its almost a necessity
You suck. I have almost never used any.

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 8, 2008, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
You suck. I have almost never used any.
Thanks! Congrats...

EDIT: Biting my tongue
( Last edited by klb5090; May 8, 2008 at 02:07 AM. )

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 8, 2008, 03:40 AM

I've shot one pigeon, I found one early on in the game but I didn't have a gun.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2008, 08:14 AM

I found a ton more stunts last night. I'm up to 15 - 18 now.

I didn't spend much time actually progressing the story last night. I did my first three races, and got first pretty handily in each. I even managed to clip a cop and get into a chase during one, but the normal course was enough to shake them.

Here's the odd thing: After 23 hours + of gameplay, my favorite car is listed as Roman's Cab.... and I probably haven't even touched (or seen) one in the last 10 - 15 hours of gameplay. If there's a car I drive with any regularity, it's probably the Feltzer. Pisses me off.

And as far as I can tell, my Marathon stats haven't updated.

admo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2008, 08:54 AM

I've been playing this a bunch lately, just got to the second safehouse. I had stopped playing, and even returned my ps3 because I was having horrible video problems, thick light colored bands that scroll up the screen. This is on a Standard Definition TV, with composite and s-video making no difference. So I exchanged my ps3, after doing some research that seemed to indicate others had the problem, and that it is just a faulty connector. But when the problem persisted with the new ps3, I did further research. Turns out that all the componants (ps3, receiver, tv, vcr, subwoofer) are grounded on the house ground, and the coax tv cable in the tv is grounded elsewhere, causing a condition called a "ground loop". Unplugged the cable tv coax, and problem solved! So now I shall be exploring Liberty City again, with a much improved picture (that is until I get my HDTV this summer.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 8, 2008, 09:01 AM

Just want to say thanks you guys for using the spoiler tags. Some of you are definitely way ahead of me (I just got to the second island on my first mission with Playboy).

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
May 8, 2008, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Just want to say thanks you guys for using the spoiler tags. Some of you are definitely way ahead of me (I just got to the second island on my first mission with Playboy).
You're welcome.

P.S. - Niko dies on the second mission with playboy

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 8, 2008, 10:03 AM

You're welcome.

P.S. - Niko dies on the second mission with playboy
Yeah, but I already read that you get to continue playing as a zombie, so it's all good.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2008, 10:07 AM

At which point it opens up the Cloverfield monster storyline.

Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2008, 11:51 AM

How do you get LJ to allow you to buy weapons from him? Do you need to get him to a certain "like" or "respect" level?

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2008, 11:52 AM

Go down on him.

Err, I mean take him out a few times. Drinking worked for me.

Edit: I believe it's like. Which reminds me, Brucie owes me something.

Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2008, 12:11 PM

Go down on him.

Err, I mean take him out a few times. Drinking worked for me.

Edit: I believe it's like. Which reminds me, Brucie owes me something.
Already tried makin' "Little" Little Jacob happy. I'll try the drinks next.

Here's a pretty cool link. Shows the difference (graphically) between the various GTA games (GTA 3 and up):

Then & Now: Grand Theft Auto IV - Features at GameSpot

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2008, 12:26 PM

It's 60% approval rating for weapons. I'm having a hell of a time getting there. I must have pissed him off quite a bit early on, because when I checked he had me at 40%. Now I keep bugging him to go out and I have yet to get it back up. I was trying to do his missions, but there is one I just can't get, and everytime I fail, it bumps me back down. I tried it about 5 times before I realized it was killing my rating. Also, if you call him before 2pm he bumps you down for calling too early. That's happened twice. It's annoying as hell.

When I unlock his service... does he sell body armor? Because if I'm doing all this and he doesn't sell armor, I'm going to be annoyed.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2008, 12:31 PM

I've been waiting for something like that. San Andreas holds up surprisingly well. Must be the XBOX version.

Which reminds me, for those of you that played III, I have to say this game has given me moments where certain spots in LIberty City feel very familiar, even though it's a completely new map. I think this just goes to show what a good job they did in giving III's Liberty City a quality NY feel.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2008, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
When I unlock his service... does he sell body armor? Because if I'm doing all this and he doesn't sell armor, I'm going to be annoyed.
Yep, at a $200 discount.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2008, 02:49 PM

Which reminds me, for those of you that played III, I have to say this game has given me moments where certain spots in LIberty City feel very familiar, even though it's a completely new map. I think this just goes to show what a good job they did in giving III's Liberty City a quality NY feel.
IV is my favorite GTA since III. VC was to crowded and the graphics blur was way overdone, SA didn't really interest me in location, storyline, or main character.

IV seems like a spiritual recreation of GTA III, I love the dingy city feel.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2008, 03:09 PM

Sballa2 points out that calling 911 on your cell phone can give you help if you need. When your car dies if you call 911 they'll restart the car, if you're almost dead and call 911 they heal you, or even if you need help and call 911 police will come.
My buddy found this on gamefaqs.

---

While I'm giving my buddy props, He told me that he did a stunt jump last night, landed nose first into the street, flew out the windshield, then had the car do a mid-air flip and a rear corner landed on him, ending his life.

The physics system is awesome.

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 8, 2008, 04:09 PM

i call 911 all the time, every time i need a police car for a mission or want to look someone up in the computer i just call 911 press 1 for police and a cop shows up a few seconds later and i steal there car. Awesome.

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 8, 2008, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
It's 60% approval rating for weapons.
You may be correct but i know for a fact that Brucie requires a 75% like rating and i thought Roman and Little Jacob were the same.

Forum Links
Forum Rules