Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > NBC denies ever having television streaming discussions with Apple

NBC denies ever having television streaming discussions with Apple
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Mar 27, 2015, 05:10 PM

Throwing some doubt on the veracity of earlier reports by the Wall Street Journal NBCUniversal has said in a letter to the US Federal Communications Commission that not only is it not keeping back content from any prospective Apple television network, it has not even been launched discussions with Apple in the first place. The revelation was made as part of an information request fulfilled by the programmer, answering questions about the prospective Time Warner Cable and NBCUniversal parent company Comcast's merger.

A filing by opposition group Stop Mega Comcast, declaring that "Comcast may be withholding affiliated NBCUniversal ('NBCU') content in an effort to thwart the entry of potential new video competitors" and postulating that a "falling-out between Apple and NBCUniversal parent company Comcast" may be to blame induced the response from the mega-corporation.

The original report from the Wall Street Journal claimed that the supposed streaming service would offer around 25 channels from major broadcasters including ABC, CBS, and Fox to subscribers. NBC programming was said to be not participating in talks because of issues between Apple and Comcast over a previous effort collapsing under its own weight.

Comcast attorney Francis Buono responded to the claim and guesswork, saying that "not only has NBCUniversal not 'withheld' programming from Apple's new venture, Apple has not even approached NBCUniversal with such a request."

While the revelation doesn't immediately torpedo the original report, the difference between the initial "knowledgeable sources" and the truth is jarring. While Apple in all likelihood has a live video streaming project in the works, the inconsistency suggests that the Wall Street Journal doesn't have as much of the latest version of the situation as they think they do.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Mar 27, 2015 at 06:05 PM. )

Arty50
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2015, 05:40 PM

Or Comcast is lying like it's done sooooo many times in the past.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Mar 27, 2015, 05:48 PM

Its possible, but I think that lying to the feds might be a bit more severe with an upcoming merger being considered than simply lying to customers.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2015, 01:02 PM

Totally agree, but their TWC merger filing and public statements also emphasize that the merger won't have any effect on competition. Clearly, a larger Comcast would have even more clout when it comes to negotiations like the one the WSJ reported on. This whole merger is full of bs spin.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

pairof9s
Senior User
Mar 29, 2015, 10:23 AM

Oh, so the whole premise that Comcast could lose it's merger approval and/or be in violation of anticompetitive practices has nothing to do with them denying they refused to negotiate with Apple? Ok, then I got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you!

Forum Links
Forum Rules