Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Waking from Sleep gets slower and slow and slower and slower

Waking from Sleep gets slower and slow and slower and slower
cold aspiration
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2006, 01:47 AM

I've noticed an odd behavior so far. I was used to my trusty ibook g4's waking and sleeping patterns. When I closed its lid .. it went to sleep in two seconds. When I lifted the lid, it woke up immediately. Now that I have a new MBP, I close the lid ... the light doesn't start pulsating until after 10 seconds. Okay, I can understand that, it has a lot more stuff going on... But when I open the lid, there is the problem.

When it was brand spankin new, the mbp would wake up immediately just like the ibook. Now, it takes at least 15 seconds. Which is quite a long time when you are just sitting there and a lecture is starting. Most of that time is staring a blue screen. I open the laptop and I am greeted extremely briefly with an image of my desktop and its apps, then it fades into a blue screen. After that, it stays blue for about 10 seconds. Then it fades into the normal desktop fully awake. This is extremely annoying that I have to go through this every time.

I found that if I restart the computer the first few times I put the comp to sleep, it will wake right back up immediately. Then after awhile without shutting down, the problem resurfaces. Any suggestions or thoughts? Do you guys experience this? This is obviously not a problem restricted solely to me since others have commented on it:

http://groups.google.com.gi/group/co...lnk=raot&hl=en

and here (although this thread seems to ignore me because it is a macbook thread and I have a MBP):
http://forums.macnn.com/66/ibook-and...nks-on-waking/

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2006, 02:36 AM

I get the same thing. Sometimes it wakes up rather fast, sometimes I get the desktop, then a blue screen, then my desktop again.

cold aspiration  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 10, 2006, 10:26 PM

still no changes and I get the same symptoms ...

strugatzki
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2006, 09:10 AM

i have exactly the same "problem". more exactly, it's an annoyance of the infuriating kind. i've been a mac user for many years, and what i found most disappointing about the macbooks is their poor performance regarding sleep mode.

on the powerpc platform, you could close the lid any time and the machine would go to sleep straight away, irrespective of what it was doing at the time (e.g., even during boot up or complex installation routines). i am not referring to "safe sleep" here, since i'm running my mac book pro (core duo, motherboard 1.1) on hibernatemode 0 because if found that differently from what apple is claiming going to sleep always takes longer in hibernatemode 3 with no apparent relation to the battery level. if the mbp is busy when i close the lid, it takes longer to sleep than let's say an ibook G4 (with more disk movement noticeable).

the problem were talking about appears when waking up (opening the lid), and i can rule out that it has to do anything with safe sleep.

problem description (as already described above): when i open the lid, the screen instantly becomes alive showing the state just before sleep, but only for a second or less. then, the screen goes blue (something like the basic background just like at the last stage of shutting down) for a couple of seconds (sometimes longer, sometimes shorter). stage three is a most annoying fade-in of about one second, from the blue screen to the screen it showed just before the blue screen. it then takes another two seconds or more before the mbp accepts any input.

as one guy in the google thread quoted above stated, this process is exactly the same you encounter when connecting an external display to the dvi port: blue screen on both the internal and external monitor then a fading in. however, the last time i connected an external monitor lies a couple of weeks and reboots in the past.

what is really annoying is that the behaviour is not occuring all the time. sometimes, the mbp will skip both the blue screen and the fading-in. i so far failed to isolate any special circumstances that reliably reproduce it.

--

i propose two theories :

1) there is a hardware problem with the sensor that tells the mbp whether there is an external monitor connected or not. sometimes, it says yes, sometimes no. what follows is a detection routine when waking up, with a negative result, so everything back to normal.

2) os x or the mbp (in the PRAM or wherever, i really don't know) somehow remember previous external monitors and sometimes try to find them. the problem with this theory is the "sometimes". if it is a software routine, it should occur all the time, but obviously, it doesn't.

at the moment, i am trying to find out if it is possible to disable any automatic screen detection routines and switch to some kind of manual mode. i would accept that in exchange for a fast wake up. i hope i'm gonna find something. if I don't, i'll go on and annoy apple, cause 2000 bucks on a machine that sleeps and wakes worse than my really old ibook is ... well
( Last edited by strugatzki; Nov 16, 2006 at 09:12 AM. Reason: typo hibernatemode)

cold aspiration  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 16, 2006, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by strugatzki View Post
i have exactly the same "problem". more exactly, it's an annoyance of the infuriating kind. i've been a mac user for many years, and what i found most disappointing about the macbooks is their poor performance regarding sleep mode.

on the powerpc platform, you could close the lid any time and the machine would go to sleep straight away, irrespective of what it was doing at the time (e.g., even during boot up or complex installation routines). i am not referring to "safe sleep" here, since i'm running my mac book pro (core duo, motherboard 1.1) on hibernatemode 0 because if found that differently from what apple is claiming going to sleep always takes longer in hibernatemode 3 with no apparent relation to the battery level. if the mbp is busy when i close the lid, it takes longer to sleep than let's say an ibook G4 (with more disk movement noticeable).

the problem were talking about appears when waking up (opening the lid), and i can rule out that it has to do anything with safe sleep.

problem description (as already described above): when i open the lid, the screen instantly becomes alive showing the state just before sleep, but only for a second or less. then, the screen goes blue (something like the basic background just like at the last stage of shutting down) for a couple of seconds (sometimes longer, sometimes shorter). stage three is a most annoying fade-in of about one second, from the blue screen to the screen it showed just before the blue screen. it then takes another two seconds or more before the mbp accepts any input.

as one guy in the google thread quoted above stated, this process is exactly the same you encounter when connecting an external display to the dvi port: blue screen on both the internal and external monitor then a fading in. however, the last time i connected an external monitor lies a couple of weeks and reboots in the past.

what is really annoying is that the behaviour is not occuring all the time. sometimes, the mbp will skip both the blue screen and the fading-in. i so far failed to isolate any special circumstances that reliably reproduce it.

--

i propose two theories :

1) there is a hardware problem with the sensor that tells the mbp whether there is an external monitor connected or not. sometimes, it says yes, sometimes no. what follows is a detection routine when waking up, with a negative result, so everything back to normal.

2) os x or the mbp (in the PRAM or wherever, i really don't know) somehow remember previous external monitors and sometimes try to find them. the problem with this theory is the "sometimes". if it is a software routine, it should occur all the time, but obviously, it doesn't.

at the moment, i am trying to find out if it is possible to disable any automatic screen detection routines and switch to some kind of manual mode. i would accept that in exchange for a fast wake up. i hope i'm gonna find something. if I don't, i'll go on and annoy apple, cause 2000 bucks on a machine that sleeps and wakes worse than my really old ibook is ... well
Thanks for the response (finally someone responds to my threads ), it is pretty clear by now that this blue screen is prevalent among the new laptops. I have also noted that the blue screen fade in effect is the same as when you click 'detect displays' on in the displays system preferences pane. I know I have not noticed this problem before my school year started and that was marked with a very elegant keynote presentation and I did in fact have to plug in my dvi to vga adapter in order to hook up to the projector. I used mirror screen mode. Maybe those MBPs out there who have not ever hooked up to an external display can comment on this ... Maybe once I did hook up, it trained my computer to look for this external display .

Another thing I noticed is that a simple restart is enough to fix the problem ... for a little while. Maybe for half a day the wake from sleep would be quick and reliable until the blue screen shows up. I do not want to have to restart continuously in order to avoid this problem.

Let us know how your search goes for turning of external display functions, I believe both of your theories make complete sense. Can anybody else ppleease please chime in?

nolansmaloney
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2007, 09:07 PM

Interestingly enough, I seem to have a different result every time i wake my mbp up. In addition to the problems you guys are having, my computer often has trouble detecting the display: It will finally come to with the wrong resolution and/or additional detected displays (which do not exist). I'm trying to find others with this problem, but with no luck.

Nolan

alligator
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2007, 08:46 AM

Anyone find a solution to this yet? I'm experiencing the same blue screen problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules