Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mail mixes subject and message

Mail mixes subject and message
cold aspiration
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2009, 04:30 PM

Hey guys,

I'm having lots of trouble with Apple Mail 4.2 (latest). I have 5 different mail accounts being managed by it so it is very important to me. I have a mixture of POP and IMAP accounts. In any case, my university's mail account first started with this problem:

I receive an email from someone (let's say a professor) and the "From" and "Subject" headings are correct. Then when I click on the message, the message body it is an email from a completely different person. For example, an email from my professor about grades had a very inappropriate message from my frat brother ...

I thought the problem was because my university email account was full (which it was) so after clearing it, the problem went away.

Now I'm having the same problem with my mobile me account. Where the message subject/heading doesn't match. And I'm getting emails from years ago for the message body. The mobile me account has PLENTY of space still available.

The only way for me to see what the real email was is by going on to me.com where it is accurate.

Any ideas or things I can do to help narrow this problem?

Cold Warrior
Dec 20, 2009, 09:49 PM

Try Mailbox menu > Rebuild for all your mailboxes.

cold aspiration  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2009, 11:32 PM

Success!! Thanks for the tip! What exactly does "rebuilding" my mailbox do?

Forum Links
Forum Rules