Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > iPhone 5S production reportedly starting later in July

iPhone 5S production reportedly starting later in July
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jul 15, 2013, 11:11 AM

Partners in Apple's supply chain are gearing up for mass production of the iPhone 5S later this month, claims Jefferies & Company analyst Peter Misek. He forecasts shipments of 25 to 30 million units by the end of the September quarter, when the device is expected to launch. December-quarter shipments are meanwhile expected to shoot up to between 50 and 55 million.

Like the iPhone 4S, the 5S is generally anticipated to be a refinement of its predecessor instead of a major overhaul. That includes upgrades to a faster processor, and a better camera paired with a dual-LED flash. One question mark is whether the 5S will be the first Apple device to incorporate the fingerprint scanning technology it acquired through AuthenTec.

bonaccij
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2013, 01:59 PM

I, unfortunately, think this will actually be the very first iPhone I don't upgrade to. Even the fingerprint scanning and a higher resolution camera just aren't reasons to upgrade. I think if Apple really wants people to upgrade every year, they need to start upping their game. I think they need to start being more competitive with what is out there. Don't get me wrong. I have had every iDevice since 2007, I just don't think I can justify a leap from the iP5 to the 5S this year. Not enough advancement.
In the end, it�s all about the composition.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2013, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by bonaccij View Post
I, unfortunately, think this will actually be the very first iPhone I don't upgrade to. Even the fingerprint scanning and a higher resolution camera just aren't reasons to upgrade. I think if Apple really wants people to upgrade every year, they need to start upping their game.
They don't.

They have NEVER built their iPhones to appeal to yearly upgraders. For those who upgrade semi-annually, such as most of those on subsidized contract-phones, every other phone has been a very compelling upgrade for the past five years.

It's also rather odd to keep reading how people claim before every iPhone launch that they won't be upgrading because what they've heard so far about a device nobody knows anything about doesn't give them a hard-on.

wrenchy
Forum Regular
Jul 15, 2013, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
It's also rather odd to keep reading how people claim before every iPhone launch that they won't be upgrading because what they've heard so far about a device nobody knows anything about ...
I won't be upgrading to the iPhone 5S.

johnpford
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2013, 07:47 PM

I have upgraded every year because the economics of it allow me to. I am typically able to sell my phone for at least the subsidized price every year. So I either make a little cash or at least break even. It's a no brainer for me. if it wasn't for some of the problems we have had with the Galaxy S3 I might consider the S4 just as a change up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules