Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > What DVD Recorder should I buy?

What DVD Recorder should I buy?
Chulo
Dec 4, 2003, 02:20 AM

I'm currently looking at 2 external DVD+/-R/RW drives to use with a powerbook. I'm leaning towards the new Plextor that can write at 8x speed but am also looking at the Pioneer A06 model.

The Plextor has gotten some excellent reviews but I don't know whether it is supported by Apple (especially as an external drive). I believe the Pioneer is supported and has also gotten good reviews.

I'm looking for a drive that I can use between the powerbook and the Wintel machine I use at work. Since my DVD player at home can only read the -R format and the one at work appears to only read the +R I need a reliable unit that will serve me for both personal and work related purposes. Any advice or opinion is welcome.

CIA
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2003, 11:15 AM

baglunch
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2003, 11:15 AM

On the plextor website, they say that the 708uf (external version) supports mac, so it wouldn't be out of the question to assume that the internal 708a also works with a mac. FYI, some DVD burners only work with toast.

Originally posted by Chulo:
I'm currently looking at 2 external DVD+/-R/RW drives to use with a powerbook. I'm leaning towards the new Plextor that can write at 8x speed but am also looking at the Pioneer A06 model.

The Plextor has gotten some excellent reviews but I don't know whether it is supported by Apple (especially as an external drive). I believe the Pioneer is supported and has also gotten good reviews.

I'm looking for a drive that I can use between the powerbook and the Wintel machine I use at work. Since my DVD player at home can only read the -R format and the one at work appears to only read the +R I need a reliable unit that will serve me for both personal and work related purposes. Any advice or opinion is welcome.

Chulo  (op)
Dec 5, 2003, 06:17 PM

Thanks for the info. Based on what I saw in the link, it appears the Pioneer is more stable and probably the better bet for now. The Plextor definitely has the advantage in speed but I'll take stability, ease of use and peace of mind over just speed anyday.
Thanks again!

vasu
Senior User
Dec 6, 2003, 03:29 AM

The plextor only writes DVD+R at 8x, but still only writes DVD-R at 4x. Now there's a lot of debate as to whether DVD-R or DVD+R is more compatible. Personally I've had greater luck with DVD-R, and from what i've seen so far, the companies that originally produce the media seem to be a bit more reputable among the -R suppliers than the +R suppliers.

Currently on www.dvdrhelp.com they're saying -R is more compatible in their database of users reporting back wtih results of burn reliability and play back compatability.

Pioneer did recently announce a drive, the DVR-107/A07 that'st he model) that will do 8X dvd-r and 8x dvd+r. I think that comes out in January?

After that you'll start seeing dual layer burners and dual layer discs that can burn upwards of 9 gigs (roughly) per side.

Can't wait till blue-ray drives though, 27 gigs per side, mmm

-vasu

Forum Links
Forum Rules