Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Coloring the Apple Logo on a PB

Coloring the Apple Logo on a PB
servo
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2004, 11:13 AM

I've seen some of the colored Apple logo mods and I am going to do it myself but I cannot for the life of me find colored sheets of plastic.
I want to color my logo green or blue. It was suggested that I just take a clear transparency sheet and color it using a color laser printer. Would this work or can anyone suggest where I might find colored transparency sheets?

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2004, 12:19 PM

the screen is bright enough that you could probably just print the color you want on regular paper and tape it behind the apple logo.

servo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2004, 12:52 PM

Would you get a good vibrant color though? I would think if it were on plain paper it would be rather dull in color.

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2004, 03:53 PM

fart
( Last edited by ThisGuy; Feb 24, 2006 at 11:31 AM. )

servo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2004, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by ThisGuy:
the white logo you see right now is a white paper insert that is taped inside. it would definitely be brighter if you took that out and put in a piece of colored plastic.
Awesome. Funny thing is, I found colored transparencies today.

Now, may I ask where you got that image? I am trying to remove the case without destroying things.

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2004, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by servo:
Awesome. Funny thing is, I found colored transparencies today.

Now, may I ask where you got that image? I am trying to remove the case without destroying things.
from a service manual. if you use a hex wrench to take the 2 screws off at the bottom you can probably use a credit card to pry the back off the display assembly. the back and gray plastic piece come off in one piece. it is not as bad as it looks or sounds. once you get it going it kinda just jumps off.

servo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2004, 11:35 PM

Okay! I got it done. Here's my green apple powerbook!

off:
http://homepage.mac.com/sterling_and...n_logo_off.jpg

on:
http://homepage.mac.com/sterling_and...en_logo_on.jpg

tooki says: No Big Inline Images!

Thanks for you help ThisGuy.
( Last edited by tooki; Feb 24, 2004 at 01:47 PM. )

baglunch
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2004, 11:59 PM

nice job, did you use some type of documentation to take apart your 12" albook or did you just start unscrewing stuff til the screen came apart? i've been looking for 17" albook instructions for a while now.

servo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2004, 10:39 AM

All the info I had is in this thread. I'm not sure about the 17" but te 12" as 2 hex screws holding the screen together. Once those are out you can pop it apart. It was a little nerve racking but everything went back together just fine.

KidKit
Forum Regular
Mar 17, 2004, 01:56 AM

Originally posted by baglunch:
nice job, did you use some type of documentation to take apart your 12" albook or did you just start unscrewing stuff til the screen came apart? i've been looking for 17" albook instructions for a while now.
Try this site for downloading apple service source manuals.

Have fun

servo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2004, 11:26 AM

I recolored my logo and wrote down some notes. I also took some pictures during the process. You can view everything here.

http://ink.primate.wisc.edu/~sterling/pb_hack.php

Zoom_zoom
Senior User
Mar 21, 2004, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by servo:
Okay! I got it done. Here's my green apple powerbook!
woah, thats awesome man!, great work

http://www.paul.fuary.com.au
"You hate people!" "But I love gatherings, isn't it ironic"

El Daveo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2004, 11:26 PM

How can u have your coffee so damn close though?! Especially when its all opened up like that!

Just got an 15" PB so im still protective.

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Apr 13, 2004, 11:46 PM

i dont fell like voiding the warranty because i have had BAD experience with apple and repairs. but wen the warranty is gone... i will do every mod on this forum!
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2004, 10:32 PM

My PB.

Blue... pretty...

and in the dark.

Edit: I found color, translucent folders at CVS pharmacy with the right opacity, etc.. Cost about $1.
( Last edited by Shaddim; Apr 16, 2004 at 10:47 PM. )
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 16, 2004, 11:42 PM

Put a green stage-lighting gel in mine. Took just a minute to slide it in, no noticable entry to case, and didn't have to pull any tape. I like a clean mod.

Stage gels are crazy cheap, if anyone needs coloring and knows someone in theatre, there are hundreds of colors available (for free pretty much because full sheets of gel at theatres are usually cut down many times and there are left over scraps, perfect for powerbooks )

take care all,
dylan
yep.

OperaMan
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2004, 10:09 PM

I need a simple and final answer: Does this void the warranty? I mean if you were to take the transparency out then take it for service would they have any idea?

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 28, 2004, 06:01 AM

When I made the Apple on my old iBook purple, I used a sweet wrapper Just rubbed the ink off, and taped it in.
Just as good if not better than the other suggestions

[EDIT] Sweet = Candy to you merkins
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Person Man
Professional Poster
May 11, 2004, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by Grrr:

[EDIT] Sweet = Candy to you merkins
At least this "merkin" figured that out. But I'm Greek-American, so does that make me a "gerkin?" (gherkin) I'm a pickle!

eatinwokout
Mac Enthusiast
May 13, 2004, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by Tenacious Dyl:
Put a green stage-lighting gel in mine. Took just a minute to slide it in, no noticable entry to case, and didn't have to pull any tape. I like a clean mod.
When you say you slid the gel sheet in, are you talking about sliding it through the small gap between the screen and outer cover? No need to open the top case?

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
May 13, 2004, 08:56 PM

No, i mean between the clear plastic apple logo, and the piece of white plastic taped around it. When you open up the case, you see a piece of white plastic taped on three sides, around the apple logo. You just slide something, like lighting gel, in the opening where there is no tape. You literally cause NO mark and NO damage, you don't even have to pull up or replace tape. Its untracable, and easy.

Although, maybe if you had a tough gel, and a lot of determination, if you loosed the top of the case, you could probably slide a big gel in without actually taking it apart.
yep.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2004, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by OperaMan:
I need a simple and final answer: Does this void the warranty? I mean if you were to take the transparency out then take it for service would they have any idea?
Probably not. though if you did happen to dent/mangle something inside they might know. If not I doubt it would be a problem
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

rag on a muffin
Senior User
May 14, 2004, 06:17 PM

id say it would void the warranty. just imagine an apple rep doing a diognostic: rep1: "well the computer seems to be completely free of damage from the user." rep2 across from table looks up at the computer rep1 is working on (yours): "hey, i didnt know apple made a green appled powerbook." rep1:"they don't" at the same time takes a giant [WARRANTY VOID] stamp and smacks it on your computer.

ghetto3jon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2004, 07:17 PM

wow! for months, i've wondered why half of my apple (15" al powerbook) glows yellow. i thought that there might be some tape or something in there, but i didn't think it was worth sending it in for a repair. i just looked at servos pics (http://ink.primate.wisc.edu/~sterling/pb_hack.php), and to my suprise, THERE IS SOME YELLOW TAPE IN THERE! is it possible that there is some misplaced tape on my powerbook, and is blocking the apple making it glow half-yellow?

i'm not sure if that makes sense...but it would put an end to me confusion. has anyone else had this happen?

thanks,
jon.

mosfree
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2004, 07:54 PM

First time reader, first time poster.

Can somebody point me in the direction of a similar project but for the iBook G4 12" (2004)?

And any suggestions on where to get blue colored film/whatever in CA?

elan01
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2004, 09:06 PM

I am an AAST and honestly, if there was no damage done to the internal components, I would say there's no breach of warranty. It would be considered a cosmetics issue. Just don't take it in for LCD problems right after you've done the mod. You'll probably get laughed at.

By the way, the blue looks tight!

iBooks would be the same as the AlBooks, just four 1.5mm allen screws.

as far as the tape, yeah its possible some of the tape is mislocated and glowing through. Nothing unusual, I've seen it before.

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
May 14, 2004, 11:29 PM

mosfree : go to a local auditorium / theatre / performing arts center. Ask for "a small scrap of blue gel". Its perfect, and actually professionally meant for light to go through it (ok. so brighter light, but yeah).

If you go to a good place, they will have like 15-20 variations on most colors, and even some patterns that are pretty sweet. Scraps they will give you for free, because even if the gel is expensive, you need a certain size piece for the lights, there is usually scrap, and there is no use for it (for my theatre, we just have a box full of scrap.. great for projects like this).

So yeah, definetly don't buy a sheet of gel, some are fairly expensive. Just find someone that works tech, or go to an aud and ask nicely!

Hope it helps,
Dylan
yep.

rag on a muffin
Senior User
May 14, 2004, 11:29 PM

Originally posted by ghetto3jon:
wow! for months, i've wondered why half of my apple (15" al powerbook) glows yellow. i thought that there might be some tape or something in there, but i didn't think it was worth sending it in for a repair. i just looked at servos pics (http://ink.primate.wisc.edu/~sterling/pb_hack.php), and to my suprise, THERE IS SOME YELLOW TAPE IN THERE! is it possible that there is some misplaced tape on my powerbook, and is blocking the apple making it glow half-yellow?

i'm not sure if that makes sense...but it would put an end to me confusion. has anyone else had this happen?

thanks,
jon.
me. i had the worst experience with my old ibook g4. total trash, my speaker was broken, a ribbon cable was hanging out, and some tape was hanging out on one of the repairs. i dont feel like telling all the problems, it would be like a page literally. i did it in some of my other posts.

sumtermug
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2004, 12:07 AM

Just one thing about these mods:

I don't like being able to see the color while the computer is off. I have an iBook, and would like to keep the clean look of the white enclosure while it is off. Would it be possible to place the colored plastic/gel behind the white overlay so it only showed up when the unit is powered up and the light is showing through the back of the unit?

Has anyone tried this? If so, please let me know.

servo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2004, 12:33 AM

I would think that would not quite work. If you placed the colored cell behinf the white it would probably show through slightly when off. The amount of light the display generates is not that much really. So the color would probably be rather dim when on also.

Kesey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2004, 12:53 AM

Can someone who has done this offer some advice to getting the 2 Hex Screws out? I have tried every size/angle I can with a combo hex driver and a regular ol hex wrench and I just can't do it!!

Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
May 15, 2004, 08:17 AM

Originally posted by rag on a muffin:
id say it would void the warranty. just imagine an apple rep doing a diognostic: rep1: "well the computer seems to be completely free of damage from the user." rep2 across from table looks up at the computer rep1 is working on (yours): "hey, i didnt know apple made a green appled powerbook." rep1:"they don't" at the same time takes a giant [WARRANTY VOID] stamp and smacks it on your computer.
Haha - Great!

hybrid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2004, 10:35 AM

If you put the gel on the opposite side of the white mylar taped inside the lid (i.e. not slid between the outer logo and the white mylar, but taped over top of the mylar), would the logo appear white when it's off but then take on the colour of the gel when illuminated?

I think it'd be cool to have a white logo when the machine is off, but have it illuminate in a nice HAL9000 red when the PowerBook is on.

hybrid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2004, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by Kesey:
Can someone who has done this offer some advice to getting the 2 Hex Screws out? I have tried every size/angle I can with a combo hex driver and a regular ol hex wrench and I just can't do it!!
Hex keys come in SAE (inches) and Metric. Maybe you're using the wrong set.

Kesey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2004, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by hybrid:
Hex keys come in SAE (inches) and Metric. Maybe you're using the wrong set.

Nope. It's the angle - how can you possible get the key in there?

disectamac
Mac Elite
May 15, 2004, 12:11 PM

brilliant idea ! probably never been done......

Does anyone know exactly how much room is between the backside of the LCD and the backside surface of the LOGO?

Just about any store that sells lamps has the lamps that change color (not lava lamps) .I'm talking about those lamps with that are fiber glass strings which shoot color from a small white bulb in the base through a color sheet of plastic.

The good thing about the lamp is that the color plastic is a spining wheel that is multi colored, so as the wheel spins the lamp changes color. You guys see where I'm going with this? A color changing apple logo?

BobVB
Forum Regular
May 15, 2004, 02:43 PM

Just a suggestion:

If you are taking the top off, why not use the opportunity to put a business card with contact information inside with 'stolen from"' written on it. Just in case it ever *is* stolen and the thief takes it in for repairs. Don't know if it would help, but it surely can't hurt.

I've done that with both my iBooks.

iSmug
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2004, 11:30 PM

If you want a really good suggestion as to what you should put inside your laptop for a neat effect, try an actual Apple logo sticker. The ones that work best are the older ones that are the exact same size as the logo on your laptop.

They can be found on the sheets that have 2 large and 2 small logos on them. They stopped handing these out a few years back, but they can be had on eBay for cheap. With a little trimming and manipulation, the results are really nice.

rag on a muffin
Senior User
May 16, 2004, 12:12 AM

wouldnt it be cool to make it an LCD screen? you could have designs that flash and stuff when your doing stuff. someone could use an old palm pilot personal.

Wsman2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2004, 05:07 PM

I've been looking at these.

Colored iBooks & Powerbooks

They also do iPods.

digires
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2004, 05:31 PM

but I wouldn't try removing a titanium G4 lid, unless you are fearless. I spent an hour painstakingly creating the original color stripe patterns for the apple logo out of transparency material, and then realized that disassembling a Tibook screen is a much more involved process, and might not look good when done. If you don't believe me:

http://www.powerbooktech.com/knowled...ing,type-4.htm

John

ajbaker
May 16, 2004, 06:58 PM

Just a thought; has anyone done this with a multi-coloured logo? I can imagine it would look horrid, but for the posterity...

younkin3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2004, 08:46 PM

Inspired my this forum I did a multi-color classic apple logo on my 12". Here is a few pics

My website for this includes more photos and explanations. The link is here:http://homepage.mac.com/jimyounkin/PhotoAlbum6.html

If you own a 12" Powerbook join our 12InchPowerBooks Group. He currently have 320 members and growng daily.

Replying to the post above.. I think the colored logo looks great.

Also after doing this mod I realized that the backlight is huge and if someone had the skills and machinery they could machine designs into the aluminum lid and make custom plastic inserts and make a whole design or picture using the backlight as well..a backlight. Like a techno stained glass window. Maybe with a laser cutter or water cutter would work. Sound ambitious and would look dang cool. Just a thought. Might be a nice little business to get into.. custom lid mods..

Cheers,
-Jim Younkin
( Last edited by younkin3; May 16, 2004 at 08:54 PM. )
It takes a tremendous amount of effort to
create something that looks effortless.

digires
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2004, 10:14 PM

...the logo looks great! And when I said it "might not look good" in my post, I was referring to what the bezel/casing of the tibook would look like after attempting to disassemble/reassemble it, not to the coloring of the logo itself. No doubt that the logo would look good, as evidenced by your example...

John

younkin3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2004, 03:52 AM

I see, so you weren't slamming the colored logo. After completeing the mod though I realized I might get some interesting comments about the logo. It seems the "rainbow" tends to mean something completly different nowadays as compared to them the Apple Logo was created. I am sure that's not why they changed it though. I single color logo is always preferable I feel (being a graphic design student). I am not too worried about the logo being misconstrued, it will give me a chance to educate others on the history of Apple. And perhaps create a little Mac tolerance in some PC users.

Cheers
-Jim

schuss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2004, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by hybrid:
If you put the gel on the opposite side of the white mylar taped inside the lid (i.e. not slid between the outer logo and the white mylar, but taped over top of the mylar), would the logo appear white when it's off but then take on the colour of the gel when illuminated?

I think it'd be cool to have a white logo when the machine is off, but have it illuminate in a nice HAL9000 red when the PowerBook is on.
i think the only way to do this perfectly would be to keep the white plastic and change the color on the led.

i did this with a pbg3 wallstreet, where the white plastic was a permanent fixture, and a blue led lit up nicely but maintained the white look while off.
"It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl Crow

9mm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2004, 03:10 PM

anyone have any information on modding the sleep LED light... i want mine orange to match the keyboard underlighting and the logo... once i get the LED orange... i am complete.

-9mm (ouT)

younkin3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2004, 01:06 AM

I wish there was a way to rig the kayboard on my 12" G4 Powerbook to light up. We have the right keys but not the backilighting. When I was modding the logo on my machine I wondered if there was a way to run some sort of fiber optics orplatsic thread from the backlight area under the lid to under the keyboard. Just dreams but if we could di it.. my other thought was to use a USB powered light and some sort of flat glowing wire or something and run it under the KB.. just a few thoughts.

-Jim

cal6n
May 19, 2004, 06:26 PM

Originally posted by younkin3:
It seems the "rainbow" tends to mean something completly different nowadays as compared to them the Apple Logo was created. I am sure that's not why they changed it though.
There is a theory that the rainbow apple logo is a deliberate homage to Alan Turing, the pioneer of modern computing, who was hounded to a premature suicide, in 1954, by the British establishment for his homosexuality. His chosen method of departure? A bite from a cyanide - laced apple.
G5LC, 6 GB 1.07 TB 6800 GT & 30" (Workhorse)
1.4 GHz Cube 512 MB 60 GB (headless folding)
15" 1.67 GHz Ali G4 PB, 1.5 GB 100 GB (VJ rig 1 & Uni)
15" 1 GHz Ali G4 PB, 1.5 GB 60 GB (VJ rig 2)
G4 800 MHz Ti PB, 512 MB 60 GB (Lounge)

Komisar
Mac Elite
May 19, 2004, 07:28 PM

Wow i never new that... i want to do the same on my apple ibook but is there a way i can change the color without vioding the warrenty?

Forum Links
Forum Rules