Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Wireless data options for a MacBook?

Wireless data options for a MacBook?
kman42
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2007, 10:53 PM

What the options for connecting to the net with a MacBook on the road? I'm trying to help out my father-in-law on this one. He uses Verizon with a Treo 700 running Windows Mobile. Can he connect via bluetooth with that? Or is there some sort of a USB wireless device that works with Verizon?

thanks,
kman

cwosigns
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2007, 10:59 PM

I don't think you can use the Treo. I had a Treo 700wx and it wasn't supported by Verizon...and I don't think there was a third party work-around. I am currently using a Novatel USB720 USB modem. It's EV-DO revA, which is the latest iteration of Verizon's 3G network. I use it with my MacBook and I've been very pleased.
( Last edited by cwosigns; Apr 16, 2007 at 10:59 PM. Reason: spelling error)
Chris
2011 MacBook Air, iPhone 4s, iPad 2

bluedog
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2007, 05:43 PM

Not sure if Verison has the same phones as Sprint, but I use the Samsung A900 phone and connect to their high-speed internet via bluetooth and the phone acts as a modem wirelessly.

I can keep the phone in my pocket/bag and tell the laptop to dial/connect and away we go!

Its really amazing, although the timeout for service is fairly quick. The connect time is nearly instantaneous though so if you are inactive for a minute its not bad to reconnect.

The Treo has more software features than the A900 though, so going backwards in functionality may not be the best option. If the Treo supports phone-as-modem connections and Verison has the feature you should be able to configure his phone (probably via USB) as a modem to connect.

Good luck.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2007, 07:47 PM

I've been using the Sony Ericsson k800i with UMTS high-speed internet via Bluetooth here in Europe for months with no problems whatsoever.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 17, 2007, 10:23 PM

You actually get decent speeds via BT? I'm surprised-I've been less than thrilled with the speed my RAZR transfers files to my MBP, and from what I've read most phone's BT implementations are not that fast. Please enlighten me on this.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2007, 11:09 PM

I don't know about the Treo 700, but the Treo 650 (Sprint) works well on the Mac over Bluetooth. It's only GPRS speeds, and the phone itself randomly crashes now and then, but it works well enough.

One thing to note, however, is that phone-as-modem-over-bluetooth means huge battery drain on both devices. :-/ I've run into several situations where, after long sessions online, the phone didn't have enough battery life for an important call.

I'm using the Sprint U720 right now. Great speeds in the LA area. Works perfectly with the Mac. Only complaint is that it sticks out. A lot.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2007, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
You actually get decent speeds via BT? I'm surprised-I've been less than thrilled with the speed my RAZR transfers files to my MBP, and from what I've read most phone's BT implementations are not that fast. Please enlighten me on this.
I'm seeing 55-60 kBytes per second, which I realize is way below spec at just around 0.5 Mbit (UMTS can ostensibly reach up to 3Mbit IIRC), but that has been stable and caused no problems whatsoever in daily use.

Over here, Vodafone supplies a USB UMTS modem for their customers that apparently works quite well, too. No idea what bandwidth they get, though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules