Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What are your long-term plans?

What are your long-term plans?
Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2003, 11:24 AM

Well it's monday morning for you lot. I'm sure you're all depressed so I thought let's have another nice, happy thread.

So tell me your long-term plans, your dreams and your hopes.

Or just make **** up.

It's bedtime here so I'll post mine in the morning.

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2003, 11:27 AM

Goals:

1. Make a positive influence on the world.
2. Make a lot of money

not too much to ask

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2003, 11:27 AM

Well, this would be a good start.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2003, 11:44 AM

To have a closer realtionship with Christ. Other plans are waiting on my wife's decision about a new job!

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2003, 11:46 AM

finish my comming 4 years of bible college, find a church to associate at, and then do one of two things. Become a loud mouth psudo public figure, and eventually say the wrong thing to the wrong person and be shot.
Or work to create a network of churchs that can have a greater impact in their areas with their resoruces.
I'd even like to eventually get voulenteers from different churchs to really start helping their communities, similar to projects like Lazzerious house and such, (they buy up old condemned buidlings then renovate them as low cost housing.)
Do stuff like organize helpers for hospises for HIV pacients.

I'd actually like to partner with some gay groups, although not participate in the promoting end of it. (It really woudln't make sense for the church people to be handing otu condoms eh?)

Essentially the whole thing would have a whole group of churchs held to one specific set of principals (IE one statement of doctrin so you don't get one group saying we should support this group or this ministry when it goes contrary to what the rest of the church believes ect.) that could pool their resources to help plant new churchs, and start new community help programs, stuff like that.

IE why have 5 seperate small youth programs when you could have one healthy sized one with the resources all 5 would enjoy. Why have one church try and run a drug rehab program when you could instead use the resources of 10 to do it, and do a much better job. Why grow one church out to 1000 members that don't even know eachother, when you can split them into two groups that will reach more than 1000 faster, will still have fellowship and will do more but still be unified in cause.
Not to mention with this sorta plan you could also encourage members of the conffernece that if they can't attend their home church's prayer meeting, they might continue going to that one, but attend a prayer meeting by another church on another night or something.

Not to mention while doing a whole wack of community work, I'd really like to instill a feeling off not neccicarly pride in the church (pride in the sinful sense is wrong) but more something where, you can bring your friend to youth group, and you don't feel like you'll have to explain away the bad points.

Think of apple store churchs

(although I suspect Steve probably spends more on the decore than any pastor could get away with... or would want to.)

Face Ache  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2003, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by wdlove:
To have a closer realtionship with Christ. Other plans are waiting on my wife's decision about a new job!
You know at first I thought your optimism and good nature weren't real and I'm sorry about that.

I don't believe in Christ but you're growing on me.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 11, 2003, 12:13 PM

I think all us cynics thought the same thing. I thought WD was just someone playing at being nice as a joke, but now I truly believe he's the real deal. I have to say he's probably the nicest guy in the forums, with never a bad thing to say about anyone, and always the first to offer encouragement or condolences. Dude, your MacNN's own little ray of sunshine.

For WDLove
Nemo me impune lacesset

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2003, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by ThinkInsane:
I think all us cynics thought the same thing. I thought WD was just someone playing at being nice as a joke, but now I truly believe he's the real deal. I have to say he's probably the nicest guy in the forums, with never a bad thing to say about anyone, and always the first to offer encouragement or condolences. Dude, your MacNN's own little ray of sunshine.

For WDLove
ya. me and maxelson have had a couple little talks about our own little ray of sunshine - to the point of me or max BEGGING the man to say something sarcastic. or a little evil. or something.

maybe its just not in him. its an admirable trait.

oh wait. OT:

hm. i want to keep my wife happy.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2003, 12:24 PM

He is a nice poster... I wish I could be the positive some days... but then I remember I have so much fun being a cynic

He reminds me of my friend Jon, the guy seriously never frowns... he scares me... WD must make his wife very happy... I wonder what she's like... they could be like that really happy couple that everyone messures their marrige against haha

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2003, 12:36 PM

In a nutshell:
� To sort out my doubts, questions about God, and take my relationship with him more seriously (I seem to be in a constant state of flux in my beliefs right now, and it bothers me quite a bit).
� To be the best father and husband I can be
� To reach my potential professionally and personally

And finally, to be responsible enough with finances so that I can buy a boat and retire with my wife in the Caribbean someday.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2003, 12:51 PM

Be sure my kid stays happy and healthy and well educated.
Enjoy my family.
Get out of debt.
Do good stuff to my house.
Take our house "off the grid"
Learn as much as I can about stuff what interests me or effects my life.
Get terminally degreed (If I still feel like it when it becomes feasable to do it).
Live well and in good compass (a buck to whomever can spit out the retort line and tell me where it is from).
Become the Master of Time and Space.
Return to teaching at some point. I would weep with joy if I could spend the rest of my life teaching Shakespeare to high school students.

In the "because I wanna" category:
Climb all 4000 footers in the White Mountains.
Perform something in all of Shakespeare's plays at least once.
Sail somewhere far away.
Spend a long time in some country of my choosing. I'd like to do this several times.

As for WD- I am convinced he is the real deal. Just a nice guy. We need more of those. Although, I'd STILL like to see a little teeny mote of WD produced sarcasm. Just a little one. Teeny. Mote- like.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2003, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
In a nutshell:
� To sort out my doubts, questions about God, and take my relationship with him more seriously
Honestly I've found if you faithfully read your bible with an open mind and ask God to show you what He wants you to know you'll find wht awnsers you need.

you might also want to look into a bible study.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2003, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by maxelson:

Live well and in good compass (a buck to whomever can spit out the retort line and tell me where it is from).

The First Part of King Henry the Fourth
Act III, scene III

"Why, you are so fat, Sir John, that you must needs be out of all compass, out of all reasonable compass, Sir John."

Next

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2003, 01:11 PM

1. Raise 3 happy children up to be happy adults.
2. Live long enough to become an encumbrance to them.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

X-Ray
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2003, 01:25 PM

Retire in the next 2 years, sell my house and get the hell out of Southern California.

digimage
Banned
Aug 11, 2003, 01:41 PM

I took a drug 3 years ago that gave me diabetes.

I'm managing it well. My lifespan has been shortened and I have kidney damage that will eventually require me to die or get a transplant. Kicker: My sister knows all about this and went out and found a "friend" that needs a transplant, volunteered to do it and rubs it in my face.

My mother thinks it is better for her to do this because her friend is wealthier than I am. And therefore worthy.

Needless to say, you guys, 2 other friends and my GF, TiGirl are all I have.

My goals?

Try to get a full education including a masters.

Stay with my job at AOL until I can't work anymore.

Sue the living s#it out of Eli Lilly. Win, set my GF/Fiancee up for the rest of her life and give her a child if she wants one.

Try to be positive about everything, no matter what.

Die with dignity instead of crippling my GF with long term life support.

Keep reading the news with all you fine people.

Get a G5.

:-D

alpha rays max
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2003, 01:46 PM

1. Finish my undergraduate work, finally.
2. Get my EMT-Paramedic cert.
3. Move to Portland, Oregon around 2005.
4. Get a job in EMS out there.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2003, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by digimage:
I took a drug 3 years ago that gave me diabetes.

I'm managing it well. My lifespan has been shortened and I have kidney damage that will eventually require me to die or get a transplant. Kicker: My sister knows all about this and went out and found a "friend" that needs a transplant, volunteered to do it and rubs it in my face.

My mother thinks it is better for her to do this because her friend is wealthier than I am. And therefore worthy.

Needless to say, you guys, 2 other friends and my GF, TiGirl are all I have.

My goals?

Try to get a full education including a masters.

Stay with my job at AOL until I can't work anymore.

Sue the living s#it out of Eli Lilly. Win, set my GF/Fiancee up for the rest of her life and give her a child if she wants one.

Try to be positive about everything, no matter what.

Die with dignity instead of crippling my GF with long term life support.

Keep reading the news with all you fine people.

Get a G5.

:-D
Wow I don't know if even my sister is that heartless... how old are you right now? What kind of drug was it? My mom's a diabetic, she actually just went on the atkins plan and hasn't had to give herself insulin to control her blood sugar because she's not taking in any sugar.
Diabities really sucks, and you never really find that out until someone close to you becomes one.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2003, 01:53 PM

1) To live.
2) To die.

Whatever else happens is just icing on the cake.

digimage
Banned
Aug 11, 2003, 01:58 PM

I'm 34.

My blood sugar is under control with oral medication, but that's not the issue.

The issue is I had diabetes and blood sugars 0f 400-600 for a year without knowing. It really messed me up.

My body was really strong and I showed no symptoms other than wieght loss and massive ketones in my blood. A year later, I finally got the classic symptoms and saw a doctor.

Like I said, I have my goals. I also have a lawyer.
You wanna talk more, PM me. Let's keep this thread on topic. It's interesting.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2003, 02:49 PM

digimage, hang in there. I'm in the DC area. If you need someone to talk to in person, PM me.

As for my little life, my goals are below.

1) Finish my Master degree
2) Join the NYC Teaching Fellows program and get my teaching certification
3) Do my three-year teacing "residency" in NYC and decide if I want to stay in the City
4) Move to Nova Scotia
5) Live a long life and die sometime after 2061--I want to see the return of Halley's comet

**Somewhere in there between #'s 2 and 4 I would like to meet someone and get married, have kids, etc. But definitely not until after I have finished my Master's: One of the reason's I broke up with my current girlfriend is I was not willing to make my relationship with her a higher priority than my graduate studies.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2003, 02:51 PM

dp
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2003, 04:09 PM

Getting marry and start a family.

Lerkfish
Aug 11, 2003, 04:20 PM

Be the best dad for my son that I possibly can be,in order to equip him to grow to be a good, decent man who contributes to society and is confident in himself while being compassionate of others.

I figure that should take all my waking hours for the next 14 years.

and, i can't think of any other goal more worthwhile.

I do have smaller goals:

1. to get some of my writing published
2. to illustrate a science fiction novel cover
3. to get my G5
4. to animate a short film
5. To direct a film

of that list: the only sure thing is #3.

heh..

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Aug 11, 2003, 04:30 PM

in real life: carry on being a peaceful individual, who doesn't cause harm to a single living thing, and just lets others get on with their life. same as i have done for years. oh, and listen to Slayer.

online life: be offline more.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Nai no Kami
Senior User
Aug 11, 2003, 04:35 PM

I live in Argentina. I cannot have long-term plans. You get accustomed to that.

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2003, 06:18 PM

Well, I hope to get the script of my second movie ready before I turn 19 . And I also want to buy A Landy Series II . And for later... maybe a kid. Well who cares ? I'll see, and accept and deal with everything that comes to me in the coming years.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2003, 06:22 PM

Plans? What, you mean like, actual plans? Isn't that a bit like making decision? People actually do those things?!

Too Artificial
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2003, 12:41 AM

Getting married next year (2nd time, never thought I'd do it again)

Watch my 10 year old son develop into a great young adult

Get out of my current line of work (technology)

Open a fitness/wellness center in my town and actually do some good in the world

that's a start...

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2003, 12:52 AM

I already have a house, wife and 3 children. I suppose my next goal would be to catch that elusive trophy Bass.

simonjames
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2003, 01:05 AM

1. be better to myself health wise
2. a 6 weeks overseas vacation every 2 years
3. keep up with my new hobby as a glass artist (kiln forming and blowing)
4. do more charity work
5. learn a new language - maybe Cantonese this time
6. get a convertible (mid-life crisis time)

ambush
Banned
Aug 12, 2003, 01:10 AM

1. Sell a lot of apps.
2. Pay my parents' debts as a way of thanking them
3. Go to University in Politic Sci.
4. Invent the next big thing in p2p networks that will hurt capitalism as much as possible
5. Invent the best alternative to capitalism
6. Get a good GF

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2003, 01:24 AM

Oh I should also mention I intend to have a family

Find a woman who amazes me every day I talk to her (in a good way) and raise an addopted child togeather

Face Ache  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2003, 02:31 AM

My wife and I are planning on opting out of the rat race with five or ten acres in the hills. A (modest) dream home. Permaculture. Chickens. Olives. Mangoes. An acre's worth of veggie patch. Solar power. Wind power. Water tanks.

We'll still need an income but the idea is to be as self-sufficient as possible. We'll still be only 40 minutes out of town.

I can't wait to put some distance between me and the neighbours. It's a five year plan, paid for by some fancy real estate juggling.

I can wait that long.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2003, 02:40 AM

Originally posted by X-Ray:
Retire in the next 2 years, sell my house and get the hell out of Southern California.
Me too!

...er...

Produce happiness for other people, without selling myself short in that area, too.

Grad-ee-ate college.

Get an interesting job, and then continue building my own company.

...and getting to spend more time with a nice girl I know. Never has a month and a half seemed so long!

Cipher13
Aug 12, 2003, 09:11 AM

Short term?

Finish my degree, move on to masters, then get my PhD in genetics. Continue my vertebrate zoology and move it from a minor, to a masters, at least. Same with petrology.

Find a nice girl (well, I've found one... it's just a matter of taking it somewhere more than one nighters ), and a stable job.

Long term?

Settle down, be happy. What more is there?

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2003, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
The First Part of King Henry the Fourth
Act III, scene III

"Why, you are so fat, Sir John, that you must needs be out of all compass, out of all reasonable compass, Sir John."

Next
Hrmph. Well done.
Here you go-

I folded it into a nice butterfly for you.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Aug 12, 2003, 10:43 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; Aug 17, 2004 at 04:20 PM. )

ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2003, 10:47 AM

I'm not really a "plan ahead" type of guy. I just live life day by day. I do have at least two goals I'd like to accomplish in my life, though. I'd like to find a wonderful woman to share my life with and I'd like to visit Japan.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2003, 06:50 PM

To find a piece of wooded land by slow moving black water and to--ever-so-deliberately--insert the makings of a hide-away therein

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2003, 07:03 PM

and the OT topic

Originally posted by scaught:
ya. me and maxelson have had a couple little talks about our own little ray of sunshine - to the point of me or max BEGGING the man to say something sarcastic. or a little evil. or something.

maybe its just not in him. its an admirable trait.
wdlove and gents, perhaps his second post qualifies in that ever-so-slightly something category:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=172174

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2003, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by Face Ache:
My wife and I are planning on opting out of the rat race with five or ten acres in the hills. A (modest) dream home. Permaculture. Chickens. Olives. Mangoes. An acre's worth of veggie patch. Solar power. Wind power. Water tanks.
I knew you loved me.

RiSE
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2003, 09:29 PM

two chicks at the same time man.

*not sure if anybody said that already.

ambush
Banned
Aug 12, 2003, 09:38 PM

I wanna get a little cabin in the woods and pretend to be deaf-mute.

Can anyone get the reference?

rezzi
Aug 12, 2003, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by Lerkfish:
Be the best dad for my son that I possibly can be,in order to equip him to grow to be a good, decent man who contributes to society and is confident in himself while being compassionate of others.

I figure that should take all my waking hours for the next 14 years.

and, i can't think of any other goal more worthwhile.

I do have smaller goals:

1. to get some of my writing published
2. to illustrate a science fiction novel cover
3. to get my G5
4. to animate a short film
5. To direct a film

of that list: the only sure thing is #3.

heh..
Hey Lerk, we share some of the same interests.

My goals are to finish several novels/screenplays.

Design more album covers. 1 to date.

Flesh out some cartoon characters I created.

Direct films. Starting indie & gradually working up to feature-length.

Direct/produce more music videos. 1 to date.

Kilbey
Baninated
Aug 13, 2003, 12:31 AM

In order:
1. Love God and honor Him.
B. Greet my unborn daughter into the world
3. Love my wife more
3(b). make more children (or parctice, practice, practice.)
4. More woodworking.
5. More oil painting.
6. Less reading, more doing.
7. Spend more time with family.
8. More time with friends.
9. Hunt
10. Fish
11. Build a house in the woods with no lawn to mow.
12. Buy a corvette.
12(b). Drive above mentioned corvette.
13. retire after 22 more years in my current job.
14. Enjoy God's creation more.

Anything else is just icing or obstacles in my path.

Ken Masters
Banned
Aug 13, 2003, 12:50 AM

die before the age of 40,

this way, i don't have to get fat,
go ugly,

and get floppy D*k syndrome

To achieve this you would have to live life to the fullest,
Eat what you want, drink all you can,
And smoke as much as you can afford

bstone
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2003, 02:47 PM

My long term goals:

Get out of computers. After 7 years, even tho I love it, I need to work with people. I am a social creature and relate well to people tho needs healing and help.
So I wanna..........

Complete my paramedic training.
Go back to school and do pre-med.
Get into and complete PA school.
Get my PhD in health sciences.

If I started now and did full time it'd only take me 4 years, maybe 5.

Sigh..................................the pains of having responsibility.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2003, 03:04 PM

Get my business up, running and profitable. Get married to my girlfriend. Buy or build a house. In close proximity to a lake. Raise a family.

Not terribly original, I know

Face Ache  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2003, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
Get my business up, running and profitable. Get married to my girlfriend. Buy or build a house. In close proximity to a lake. Raise a family.
Still moving to Canadia?

Forum Links
Forum Rules