Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Crip Walking (Breakdancing)

Crip Walking (Breakdancing)
rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2005, 11:31 PM

For MLK day we used to get 40s of malt liquor and watch Menace II Society. Since they don't sell 40s in Florida, this year I decided to go a different route. I opened acquisition and searched for some breakdancing movies and stumbled across the Crip Walk. (If you don't know what it is, I recommend you d/l this video to see it in action)
The C-walk, a tiptoe dance that some people joke looks like skipping "hopscotch on crack," has caught on among teenagers nationwide.
I just think this video is so entertaining that it's worth sharing. Pretty funny looking, but still cool at the same time. I'd learn how to do it, but I would never put myself in a situation to do it in public.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2005, 11:35 PM

Yeah, I saw hip ganster wannabe's back in high school doing it. Only difference really is that there really are crips in LA.
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2005, 11:44 PM

I like it. I'll make it my new house-cleaning dance! No, really, I will. You think I'm kiddin? I downloaded the video to practice!!!

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2005, 11:47 PM

On a side note- don't you think your former MLK ritual is a little bit defeating the purpose/meaning of the day and / or the man?

Or was this on purpose? Am I being naive?

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2005, 11:49 PM

C-Walking has been around for a good long while but in the past only folks from Cali would do it.

What's funny about rap/hip-hop music culture is that you can often tell where someone is from by the way they dress and dance. And a lot of times each city has its own dance. Like here in Atlanta, there's the One-Two-Step, Throwing Bows, and the older Bankhead Bounce and Rag-Top. All four of those dances were done in clubs. Then rappers would make a song out of them and they would get national exposure. Actually, some go world wide. I was really surprised when I saw this cat in London Rag-Topping.

*edited to make more sense
( Last edited by MallyMal; Jan 18, 2005 at 11:56 PM. )

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2005, 01:02 AM

Originally posted by rozwado1:
For MLK day we used to get 40s of malt liquor and watch Menace II Society. Since they don't sell 40s in Florida, this year I decided to go a different route.
you're an idiot.

Uriel
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2005, 09:34 AM

There's a big difference between c-walking and breakdancing. Most breakdancers will get mad if you use the crip walk in a a dance.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2005, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by Uriel:
There's a big difference between c-walking and breakdancing. Most breakdancers will get mad if you use the crip walk in a a dance.
With good reason too.
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Jan 19, 2005, 10:43 AM

Have just download the video out of sheer curiosity - haven't yet seen it on the streets of Edinburgh yet. Have to express concern at the long-term detrimental affect it may have on your joints (knees in particular) and a future predisposition to arthritis, etc...

brapper
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2005, 10:51 AM

that's the best thing I've sen in awhile. I was entranced.
Is there a Bloods walk?

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2005, 10:59 AM

I think I still have the cassette tapes for "Breakin'" and "Breakin 2: Electric Boogaloo" back home. Don't have a tape player though.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2005, 12:01 PM

Link no functioning, got AOL.temp.html. If it's like the dancing baby, great stuff.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2005, 12:05 PM

anyone here breakdance?

me and some friends started a few years ago. we never got all that far. i can pull off a few turtles and some "stalls." one day i will pull off a windmill. one day, one day.

Ratm
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2005, 12:26 PM

Since they don't sell 40s in Florida
Oh you're from the South... that explains it. Don't you have better things to do like beat your wife, collect welfare checks, get drunk off moonshine or maybe, dare I say it, maybe you should clean up the trailer for once!?!

For Martin luthar Kind day, we here in Miami burn Rebel flags all day. In tribute to the man who single handedly conquered the South.

historylme
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2005, 12:55 PM

Why relegate 40's to one day out of the year? Have'm every day!

dialo
Senior User
Jan 19, 2005, 01:14 PM

[B]For MLK day we used to get 40s of malt liquor and watch Menace II Society.
Originally posted by ThisGuy:
you're an idiot.
And that goes double for calling crip walking 'breakdancing.'

Forum Links
Forum Rules