Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > mini v. iMac 24'

mini v. iMac 24'
clb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2006, 05:04 PM

I am upgrading from a 2001 400Mhz G4 Ti PB. I am in the market for more screen space, so I was considering the high-end mini w/ a 23' ACD, but looking at the prices for the iMac 24', it seems that the iMac is only marginally more expensive and has a better drive, video, and processor. A non-Apple 24' LCD might lower the cost more substantially, and I am worried about the lack of the ACD's (and iMac 24' 's) height adjustability.

Any thoughts on the performance differences for limited video-editing and nil gaming?

Thanks.

normang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2006, 05:13 PM

The iMac 24 will be faster than the Mini because of the Core 2 Duo, its also easier to add memory to the iMac, and it comes with more memory than the Mini. The iMac will probably do better for video work as well.

While adjusting the height of the screen maybe mechanically limited, there isn't anything that says you cannot place an iMac on a stand that accomodates the height you prefer to view it.

My personal iMac I can adjust the viewing angle up and down to meet my needs. though its a 17". With an external display, many do not have height adjustments, they just adjust the viewing angle up & down. / or | if you get the analogy...

houltmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2006, 05:55 PM

Overall of course you have the advantage with the iMac that everything is right there, nothing else to buy (unless you really want to). With the mini you will have cables, peripherals and so forth to buy. The iMac is the more expensive system because it's a faster system. There are a lot of small upgrades in the iMac and the 24" model seems much larger in screen size than the 23" ACD.

The mini has it's own benefits. It's price and size lend it to being a more useful, portable machine. You would feel more inclined to plug it into that TV you have been promising yourself, adding those great looking external hard drives from LaCie and so forth.

What I am saying is that both systems will do pretty much whatever you want them to do aside from the gaming differences. Each have obvious advantages and disadvantages and you should really think about how you plan on using the system to accurately asses what would work best for you. For now ignore the finances, what would be "more you"?

TheTraveller
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2006, 02:39 PM

I have an Intel Mac Mini, and a couple of my friends have recently bought iMacs. No doubt about it, the iMacs are snappier and probably in some cases totally blow my Mac Mini out of the water. However,the Mac mini does take up very little space...I recently traveled out of the country, and brought my Mac Mini with me...slipped it into my backpack with my keyboard and a mouse, and when I got here, I bought a $50 used 17" CRT monitor and I'm in business.

quiklee
Senior User
Oct 17, 2006, 02:46 PM

this isn't really a fair competition . . . both computers are directed at totally different demographics
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

grinder
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2006, 03:13 PM

iMac 24". I found the mini (mine is a PPC 1.5GHz one <3) to be not too portable. I have taken it with me to friend's places, and it's definitely more portable than their PCs, but IMHO, if you can afford it, get the iMac. If choice is an option for you, get the iMac.
2,4GHz iMac | 320GB Passport | BT Keyboard | MX Revolution | 4GB iPod nano
Blog | Flickr | deviantART

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 19, 2006, 01:17 PM

If you're into gaming and other computer intesive stuff, go with an iMac -- faster stock 7200RPM HDD, Dedicated ATi X1600 graphics card, and you get a really nice built in LCD monitor. "Merom" Core 2 is a plus too...

The mac mini's are good for a low cost desktop mac -- but to upgrade them you've gotta be comfortable with a putty knife, and you're limited by the Intel GMA integrated graphics which bum off your total system memory.

So, bottom line: performance desktop iMac. Low initial cost and portable Mac Mini.

TiDual
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2006, 04:57 AM

If you' re planning on the 23" ACD with the mini, then just get the iMac, since price diff. is then neglible (once kb, mouse, mem. are factored in). The only reason to buy the mini is if you prefer the form factor for some reason. The iMacs are fantastic.

indigoimac
Senior User
Oct 21, 2006, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by dowNNshift View Post
Dedicated ATi X1600 graphics card
Actually the 24" has a nice selection of nvidia cards, 7300gt or 7600gt
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2006, 09:52 AM

3 or 4 years down the road the mini will be much more upgradable. just buy a new mini.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2006, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by gooser View Post
3 or 4 years down the road the mini will be much more upgradable. just buy a new mini.
Err, no.

You can change the CPU in both.
You can change the hard drive and optical drive in both.
The iMac takes more RAM.
The 24" even has an upgradeable graphics card.

To the original poster:

Get a 24" iMac or a Mini with a non-Apple LCD. Don't waste your money on Cinema Displays. There are alternatives out there that use the same S-IPS panel and that are MUCH cheaper. But yeah, you don't get the shiny Apple logo.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

IllegalOperation
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2006, 12:41 PM

If you can afford a 24" iMac,,,,get one! Those things are a must see to be appreciated piece of art. I really wished I could afford one.

I will probably get flamed but I own a mini and it's been in the shop more than I've used it. i will never buy another one.

Cottonsworth
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2006, 12:57 PM

I was kind of in the same boat at one point. I wanted more real estate out of my 17" powerbook and weighed in on the 23"/mini combintation or an imac. I eventually went with the 23"/mini combintation because I still wanted to get a notebook and wanted the flexability of using either my notebook or my desktop, in this case my mini, on a larger monitor. If you need portability, you can get yourself a MacBook, used 23" Apple LCD, and a used mini, and you would be hovering around the same cost for a 24" iMac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules