Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How do you "upgrade" a retail 10.3 cd to 10.3.x

How do you "upgrade" a retail 10.3 cd to 10.3.x
AU_student_iceBook
Senior User
Oct 23, 2004, 12:40 AM

It would be very helpful to "slip-stream" the 10.3.x updates onto my 10.3 cd, so whenever I format I don't have to download the same updates over and over.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I did some searches here and on google and had no luck.

Thanks in advance.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2004, 01:15 AM

Sorry, I don't know how that could be done. May I suggest you just don't format?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2004, 02:00 AM

I just have my set of 10.3 CDs and one other CD with the latest combo updater. You only need the one combo updater to update any version of 10.3. The amount of extra time it takes to run the combo update is generally negligible.

And incidentally, I don't see why you need to reformat all the time either. I do this stuff a lot because I tech support both an office and a school computer lab. I've only reformatted my home computer once in the four years I've had it, and that was because some crappy old OS 9 software butchered my file system and I decided I'd just go ahead and make a fresh start.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

AU_student_iceBook  (op)
Senior User
Oct 23, 2004, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by Chuckit:
I just have my set of 10.3 CDs and one other CD with the latest combo updater. You only need the one combo updater to update any version of 10.3. The amount of extra time it takes to run the combo update is generally negligible.

And incidentally, I don't see why you need to reformat all the time either. I do this stuff a lot because I tech support both an office and a school computer lab. I've only reformatted my home computer once in the four years I've had it, and that was because some crappy old OS 9 software butchered my file system and I decided I'd just go ahead and make a fresh start.
Good point, it is a similar support situation for me too.
The other reason is that it would be nice to have a CD that would boot all modern macs. (new iBooks, PowerBooks,etc)

Sven G
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2004, 02:24 PM

FYI, Slipy is an interesting multi-purpose install CD/DVD slipstreaming application for Mac OS X (similar to AutoStreamer and others on Windows)...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

AU_student_iceBook  (op)
Senior User
Oct 24, 2004, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by Sven G:
FYI, Slipy is an interesting multi-purpose install CD/DVD slipstreaming application for Mac OS X (similar to AutoStreamer and others on Windows)...
Thanks, I will check it out.

ashishn
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2004, 05:17 AM

I just bought powerbook and want to upgrade to 10.3.5. I downloaded 88MB the combo update but dont know how to use that to update the OS since software update in System Preferences always look for online update site .

Ashish

Krusty
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2004, 06:49 AM

Originally posted by ashishn:
I just bought powerbook and want to upgrade to 10.3.5. I downloaded 88MB the combo update but dont know how to use that to update the OS since software update in System Preferences always look for online update site .

Ashish
Wow -- you must be very new to Macs. Double click the "Mac OS X 10.3.5 Combined update.dmg" file. A diskimage will mount on your desktop just like a CD or external drive would. Double-click the .pkg file inside and run through the update installer. Once you've done that, you will have to reboot ... next time you run software update, it will reflect that you no longer need 10.3.5. Software Update ONLY looks for online updates ... anything you download manually must be installed manually.

ashishn
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2004, 06:56 AM

yes I am 2 days old on Mac.

I thought something like that but didnt want to take any chances

Ashish

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 03:05 AM

I have a CD containing all the different updates as well, but it can be hard keeping track of which update was released when and where. Thankfully the combo updaters are there, but something the likes of slip-stream would be great.

What I do to ensure "no-mess" is to just run Software Update and let it do its thing. Granted, this is not the best solution for people on slow connections, but it does ensure the order is "correct." Only thing I can't stand is multiple reboots.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 11:03 AM

yes I am 2 days old on Mac.

Ashish
congrats
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2004, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by ginoledesma:
I have a CD containing all the different updates as well, but it can be hard keeping track of which update was released when and where. Thankfully the combo updaters are there, but something the likes of slip-stream would be great.

What I do to ensure "no-mess" is to just run Software Update and let it do its thing. Granted, this is not the best solution for people on slow connections, but it does ensure the order is "correct." Only thing I can't stand is multiple reboots.
Again, all you need is the most recent Combo updater. You don't need to go from 10.3 to 10.3.1 to 10.3.2 to 10.3.3..... The Combo updater contains everything need to go from 10.3.0 to the latest version. Then, any minor/security updates released after will then need to be downloaded.

If you use the most recent Combo updater, you don't need to worry about applying things in the correct order.

AFAIK, there is no way to slipstream updates in to the installer CD like Windows.

diamondsw
Senior User
Oct 29, 2004, 08:51 PM

I don't know if things have changed, but back in the 10.0.x and 10.1.x days you could make an image of the CD and with a lot of pain, add packages to it that would then be installed by the installer. Lots of mucking about adding packages, modifying the metapackage lists, removing "safety checks" in the added packages, etc.

You could even upgrade the OS on the CD if needed, but that was a LOT of work - upgrade the OS, recreate the kernel caches, modify some boot scripts, etc.

I'd ask CharlesS, of BootCD fame. He could probably help in detail.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 10:17 PM

Posting the link for Slipy again for the lst two posters
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2004, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by ReggieX:
Posting the link for Slipy again for the lst two posters
I've seen Slipy, and all it really does is add additional packages (updaters for our purposes here) to the install disk, which then run at the end of the standard install process. Essentially the same thing as if you installed the OS then manually ran the combo updater.

While its handy, its not really converting a 10.3.0 install disk to a 10.3.5 install disk.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2004, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
While its handy, its not really converting a 10.3.0 install disk to a 10.3.5 install disk.
D'oh! Sorry, misread what you were after there. Only way I could see is if Apple had full 10.3.5 disk sets out there to copy, or somehow merge all the changes from the updates into the original packages.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2004, 01:38 PM

Just take a freakin' chance. You'll never get anywhere if you have to come ask us at every step of the way.

proton
Senior User
Nov 1, 2004, 09:05 AM

Originally posted by ReggieX:
D'oh! Sorry, misread what you were after there. Only way I could see is if Apple had full 10.3.5 disk sets out there to copy, or somehow merge all the changes from the updates into the original packages.
If only there were such a thing hey?

- proton

diamondsw
Senior User
Nov 3, 2004, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
I've seen Slipy, and all it really does is add additional packages (updaters for our purposes here) to the install disk, which then run at the end of the standard install process. Essentially the same thing as if you installed the OS then manually ran the combo updater.

And what exactly is the difference, other than a few minutes of install time?

AU_student_iceBook  (op)
Senior User
Nov 3, 2004, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by diamondsw:
And what exactly is the difference, other than a few minutes of install time?
One will boot a brand new device (iBook, iMac, dual 2.5 G5, etc) while the other (10.3.0) will not.

diamondsw
Senior User
Nov 4, 2004, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by AU_student_iceBook:
One will boot a brand new device (iBook, iMac, dual 2.5 G5, etc) while the other (10.3.0) will not.
Okay, so we're not talking strictly about upgrading the OS that is installed, but also upgrading the boot OS - two very different things.

I don't know about tools like Slipy (whose link is broken), but what worked in the past roughly boiled down to this:

1) Make an DVD-Master image of the 10.3.0 install DVD.
2) Mount it in the Finder.
3) Install the combo updater on that disk image.
4) When done, recreate the kernel extension caches on the DVD Image (optional - see below).
5) Burn.

From a mini-guide I wrote back in the 10.1 days, you may also need to perform the following:

The boot process is controlled by various files, but at its most basic it's directed by the various "rc" files in the "/etc" directory. I compared several of these files, and discovered that when "/etc/rc.cdrom" executed "kextd" to load the kernel extensions, it was passing a "-j" argument that other files did not. While I had no idea what the "-j" argument did, I removed it on a hunch that it was causing the CD boot process to not check beyond "Extensions.mkext".
Based on the current man page that lists these options, I would recommend removing the "-j" option and adding the "-c" option, which tells kextd to ignore all kernel caches.

Forum Links
Forum Rules