Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 9.2.1 Clamshell is gone!

9.2.1 Clamshell is gone!
jonathan stick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2001, 11:44 PM

So I updated to 9.2.1 and now clamshell mode deosn't seem to want to work. everytime I close the lid, the iBook goes to sleep! It's been working fine every day since I've had it, now that I installed 9.2.1 and nothing else today, it has suddenly stopped. I have the lid craked open right now..

Any suggestions?

xo
jona

todrain
Senior User
Aug 21, 2001, 11:56 PM

Hmm... I have an option for "Wake the computer when the lid is opened" in the energy saver control panel, but nothing about sleep.

It's not a good idea to run the unit with the lid closed anyway. Even the older models do generate a lot of heat, and some disipates through the vents at the top of the unit (and they are blocked with the lid closed.)

acidchicken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2001, 02:09 AM

WHOA! Jonathan Stick this is acidchicken! Ian! I knew I'd find you on here someday!!!
WWF rules

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2001, 12:11 PM

All new PowerBooks and iBooks are designed to be used closed. Heat escapes from the bottom of the machine, not the keyboard.

This has been covered many many times. Wall Street was the last PowerBook that used the keyboard to release heat.

drewman

jonathan stick  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2001, 12:55 PM

acidchicken! Hey dog!

This clamshell sh*t is weak, I wish someone could help a dog out.. I'm having to site here with damn thing half open.. or half closed to you pessimists.

HELP ME!

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Aug 22, 2001, 01:09 PM

Hey, I live in Portland, OR, and I used to live in Seattle, WA. Coincidence? I think not!

My advice is to not change to 9.2. I assume the version you have either came with a quicksilver, or you warezed it. II have found that some things don't work anymore in 9.2, like USB overdrive, and a number of 3rd party extensions. The version you have is built for the computer it shipped with, not you ibook. I highly recommend you go back to 9.1.

grimley
Aug 22, 2001, 01:22 PM

ummm.

9.2.1 was released yesterday for general use by all computers that are spec'd to run OSX. Therefore the initial post did not 'warez' it as you suggest, they merely downloaded it from the apple website.

Sorry I can't help you Jonathon, all I know is that with the dual, the a/v has to be in prior to closing the lid...

jonathan stick  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2001, 02:00 PM

Yea, I didn't "warez" it, I downloaded it from Apple.
I guess I should call them, I'm following procedure correctly, ext. monitor plugged in, then lid closed. I've been doing this all along, but after 9.2.1, I'm suddenly screwed.

Anyones else? Any clues?

Thanks!

ender2002
Senior User
Aug 22, 2001, 02:24 PM

It happened on my icebook too.

They should really make a patch or something for that.

I like to keep my ibook closed when its downloading something big or has to be one for a while. What a bummer

grimley
Aug 22, 2001, 05:31 PM

This was posted in the MacFixIt forums, I can't try it now, but if anyone can and report...

"Mac OS 9.2.1 actually solves the problem where you need to restart your iBook for it to recognize the external monitor if it was connected after the iBook was booted.

Now with 9.2.1, all I have to do is put the iBook to sleep, connect my external monitor, wake it up, and I have my monitor running."

hth.

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2001, 06:38 PM

Now with 9.2.1, all I have to do is put the iBook to sleep, connect my external monitor, wake it up, and I have my monitor running."
Nadda here... I simply plug an go... no sleep required... running 9.2.1

Mac Guru

jonathan stick  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2001, 10:59 PM

Yea, I've never had to restart, put it into sleep or anything, it's always just started the ext. monitor up right away. Not now, I've done everything i can think of..

Time to call Apple?

x user
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2001, 06:54 PM

Here is what I'd do. Go to the PB G4 forum and ask if it happens with the Ti's too. It it does than that means that Apple will probably fix it. If lid closed operation does work on the Ti's under OS 9.2.1 then that probably means Apple didn't want it to work for us lowly iTainium users and disabled it for the iBooks.

<marjamr>
Sep 1, 2001, 11:37 AM

On Apple's discussion forum, moderator Gayle has expressed Apple's intention to disable the iBook's ability to operate in a closed state while connected to an external monitor via the RGB cable with the installation of OS 9.2.1. She further states that there will be an upcoming Knowledge Base bulletin in regard to this. Such a pity. We must keep OS 9.1 if we want to close our iBook while using an external monitor. The G4 PB was not so limited by 9.2.1.

Opus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2001, 12:05 PM

Damn,....I was wondering what the deal was when watching movies on my tv after downloading 9.2... fu$%ing apple!!!!

x user
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2001, 09:46 PM

That is a pretty dumb move on their part.

Forum Links
Forum Rules