Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Question about Duo Docks (don't throw paper wad at ME!)

Question about Duo Docks (don't throw paper wad at ME!)
cwashii
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2002, 04:26 PM

yeah, yeah.. I STIL LUSE A POWERBOOK DUO, Okay?!?

And I use the dock too; several, in fact.. just for U to gauge how much of a backward MacNerd I am....

Anyway, as most know, the power supplies in these things have always SUCKED, with the life expectancy of a male Praying Mantis after mating...

What I would like to know is, short of stocking up on power suppies and replacing them ever 1/2 year like light bulbs, OR rigging up a on/off power switch off the AC cord to deprive the Dock electrical power when not in use (what I did), IS THERE ANY FIX TO THE DOCK'S POWER SUPPLY?

A more stable power supply perhaps? Or an alternate power source?

Thanks!
-------
Craig W.
Mac Proud (1985-) in Houston Texas
Current Toys: Performa 578 & 6115/G3, PowerMac 6100/G3, 7300/200, 7600/200, 7300/200, 7600/233, 7500/132 ... 4 Duo Docks, Three Powerbook Duo 280c's, two Turtle Doves.... AND I still use my Newton 120 daily !!)

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Jun 20, 2002, 04:46 PM

Are you talking about the laptop's power supply or the docks. We have a DuoDock (2!), and the power in it is still going fine, I could sell it to you.

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 20, 2002, 06:49 PM

If you do a search on google for 'duo dock power supply fix' you'll get plenty of hits on how to easily repair the power supply (if you are any good at soldering).

I used this technique once myself for a friend's DuoDock. Replaced the capactior mentioned in the above articles and it worked. I replaced the capacitor with a high temperature higher voltage rated one and it never went bad again.

Also, while I was in there, I gave the power supply a good air cleaning.

Andrew

Forum Links
Forum Rules