Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > ADB not working on 6100

ADB not working on 6100
MacAgent
Senior User
Aug 21, 2001, 07:49 PM

I was given a 6100 that someone threw away accidentally (literally threw it into the dumpster ) and I put all the parts back together. It turns on (via the button on the computer) and works, but the keyboard doesn't work (I've tried several) so I assume the ADB port is dead since it was thrown away (it worked before).

So, my question is, is there any way to fix this?

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2001, 10:07 AM

If the keyboard was plugged in when it got "thrown", the MoBo may be cracked or the ADB port's connections may have been cracked. Open the case back up and visual the MoBo around the ADB port with a reading glass for cracks. If you find any, try to solder a wire across the traces to fix it. Scrape (towards the break) the green varnish off the copper trace, tin the copper with solder, lay a tinned piece of wire over the crack and "sweat" the connection. (Add heat but no extra solder, very quickly).

If you don't find any cracks, try zapping the PRAM and/or changing the battery. Without the keyboard, you can zap the PRAM by removing the battery and pressing the power button for 3 or 4 seconds with the 6100 unplugged. Let it sit for 20 min and replace the battery.

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2001, 11:54 AM

There is also a fuse near the ADB connector that is supposed to keep static shocks from getting to the motherboard.

Check it to make sure that it is still connected as well.

drewman

MacAgent  (op)
Senior User
Aug 22, 2001, 08:30 PM

Thanks guys, I zapped the PRAM the way you said and the keyboard now works perfectly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules