Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Print Center- unexpectedly quits every time

Print Center- unexpectedly quits every time
CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2002, 06:35 AM

TiBook/550, OSX 10.1.3 -incidenly, what up with the redundant naming OSX 10.x.x..... sounds like OS-20 x.x! But I digress-

What's the deal with Print Center? Anyone have this problem of it always 'unexpectedly' quitting when trying to add a printer? I've seen the problem mentioned a few times across the web, but no info I can find about what to do about it.

I open Print Center to install an Epson SC 760 printer, and when I click to add the printer to the list, it unexpectedly quits on me every time. --Incidently, I take offence to the notion it's 'unexpectedly' quitting! Nothing unexpected about it when it does it every single time! But I digress--

Anyone have a clue what to do about this? I've re-installed the system fron the System disk (OS X 10.1.2) tried to run Print Center from that... same problem...upgraded again to 10.1.3... same problem.

I know the printer works fine... it actually prints from the Epson print utility. It shows up in the system profiler.

I know the problem is with Print Center.... it does this no matter if the printer or anything else is plugged into USB or not.

Sven G
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2002, 08:37 AM

It *could* be a Print Center permissions/privileges problem: the tips in this MacAddict Forums thread solved the problem for me (see the reply from "BobSmith"):
http://www.macaddict.com/forums/Foru...ML/002691.html

(You could also check the Console log for weird messages concerning Print Center...)

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

Marienbad
Mar 2, 2002, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE:
<STRONG>TiBook/550, OSX 10.1.3 -incidenly, what up with the redundant naming OSX 10.x.x..... sounds like OS-20 x.x! But I digress-

What's the deal with Print Center? Anyone have this problem of it always 'unexpectedly' quitting when trying to add a printer? I've seen the problem mentioned a few times across the web, but no info I can find about what to do about it.

I open Print Center to install an Epson SC 760 printer, and when I click to add the printer to the list, it unexpectedly quits on me every time. --Incidently, I take offence to the notion it's 'unexpectedly' quitting! Nothing unexpected about it when it does it every single time! But I digress--

Anyone have a clue what to do about this? I've re-installed the system fron the System disk (OS X 10.1.2) tried to run Print Center from that... same problem...upgraded again to 10.1.3... same problem.

I know the printer works fine... it actually prints from the Epson print utility. It shows up in the system profiler.

I know the problem is with Print Center.... it does this no matter if the printer or anything else is plugged into USB or not.</STRONG>
Check MacFixIt.com, which had a long comment on this yesterday (Friday). Apparently it's a permissions issue -- a couple of fixes are suggested.

CRASH HARDDRIVE  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2002, 11:55 PM

Thanks much for the URLs.

Looks like I'm going to be delving deep into the terminal!

CRASH HARDDRIVE  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2002, 12:22 AM

Got it working! Problem wasn't with permissions though. I checked from the terminal and they were fine.

The Mac Fixit site set me on the right path though. I launched the Print Center from the terminal as they suggest, and it reported the error it was having:

localhostrint Center.app/Contents/MacOS] root# ./"Print Center"
*** CFLog (21): ./Print Center[346] Error loading : error code 7, error number 0 (dyld: ./Print Center Undefined symbols:
_BJUtilsCreateBJL_SetSilent
_HT2BinaryComponent
_HT2InitComponent
)
*** CFLog (22): ./Print Center[346] Cannot find function pointer BJPMPluginFactory for factory &lt;CFUUID 0x197b5e0&gt; F7A3A5BE-6EA3-11D5-83DE-003065BDFF8C in CFBundle/CFPlugIn 0x197b6b0 &lt;/Library/Printers/Canon/BJPrinter/PMs/BJS300PM.plugin&gt; (bundle, not loaded)
Bus error

So I started deleting the Canon printer plug-ins (Don't have a Canon printer anyway) one by one... got the same errors with different ones... so finally I deleted them all... success! Print Center fired up, worked fine, saw my Epson printer and added it!

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!

I'm getting an inkling how important the terminal is going to be to using OSX!

dillerX
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2002, 03:47 AM

Originally posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE:
<STRONG>

So I started deleting the Canon printer plug-ins (Don't have a Canon printer anyway) one by one... got the same errors with different ones... so finally I deleted them all... success! Print Center fired up, worked fine, saw my Epson printer and added it!

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!

I'm getting an inkling how important the terminal is going to be to using OSX!</STRONG>
That was my problem too CRASH.... Thanks for posting your problem, helped me clear up mine.
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules