Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Thing

The Thing
subego
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2017, 11:06 PM

The Carpenter one.

Anyone seen it recently? How does it hold up?

The blood test scene (which I imagine does hold up) was a recent topic and got me thinking about the rest.

Speaking of which... enjoy. NSFW.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2017, 11:09 PM

Also feel free to present a comparative analysis to Alien.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2017, 03:23 AM

It actually didn't occur to me until yesterday how directly the lineage of The Thing can be traced to Alien. I think it was seeing the flamethrowers which did it.

I wanna say the problems I had with Alien on my last viewing are fixed in The Thing. In Alien, I preferred the world building to the jump scares, and felt the movie lost steam once everything was established.

The Thing really didn't have any world building. They're in an arctic outpost. World's built. The jump scares aren't pulling me out of something superior.

Buuuut it's been 30+ years since I've seen The Thing, so my glasses may be highly rose-tinted.

It's probably Carpenter's best IMO. Prince of Darkness could have been the best, but it's held back by parts which are almost parody-like in their awfulness.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2017, 05:00 AM

Dark Star forever

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2017, 06:05 AM

You have to remember that the jump scares in Alien were a lot more original when it was released. As ground-breaking as it was as a sci-fi, it was also ground breaking as a horror movie. An unholy shit-ton of movies owe more than people tend to notice to Alien.

Also, its arguably the greatest original monster since the classics as well. By which I mean Vampires, Mummies, Zombies and werewolves. Its a wonderful blend of new and borrowed biology that makes it potentially the most realistic too. No magic required, the insectoid qualities lend it huge believability.

Sorry, I'm thread-jacking here.

The Thing can also get a shout for original monster creation. There have been a number of homages paid from the Polymorph in Red Dwarf to an episode of The X-Files which is dangerously close to the movie.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2017, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Dark Star forever
"The Captain always was the lucky one."

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2017, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
You have to remember that the jump scares in Alien were a lot more original when it was released. As ground-breaking as it was as a sci-fi, it was also ground breaking as a horror movie. An unholy shit-ton of movies owe more than people tend to notice to Alien.

Also, its arguably the greatest original monster since the classics as well. By which I mean Vampires, Mummies, Zombies and werewolves. Its a wonderful blend of new and borrowed biology that makes it potentially the most realistic too. No magic required, the insectoid qualities lend it huge believability.
Well, and as I've mentioned before, I'm not really what you'd call a fan of horror.

And I have no complaints about the world building whatsoever, which is the category I'd put the Alien design in. That all still holds up. The only competitors I can think of are Blade Runner and 2001.

Now, The Thing, at least as I remember it, is ****ing tight. You can kinda say The Thing is to Reservoir Dogs as Alien is to Pulp Fiction.

Pulp Fiction is generally more popular, but it lacked the laser focus of Reservoir Dogs.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2017, 07:52 AM

Thing 2011 is a pretty good prequel with many practical effects instead of CGI. I watched BOTH of them last weekend.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2017, 08:12 AM

There's also a short story which covers events from the 80s movie from the perspective of the alien.

I haven't read it, but I hear it's very clever.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2017, 09:26 AM

Here's the story, "The Things".

http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 4, 2017, 08:05 AM

Great movie. It's been a while for me, too. Great idea to compare to Alien.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2017, 11:56 AM

iTunes has a bunch of movies on sale right now for $5. The Thing is one of them. It is listed under 80's essentials.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2017, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Shortcut View Post
Great movie. It's been a while for me, too. Great idea to compare to Alien.
I'm really mad at myself for not noticing the similarities until now.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2017, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
iTunes has a bunch of movies on sale right now for $5. The Thing is one of them. It is listed under 80's essentials.
Every time I think I should watch it, I go back to "you should really get Guardians of the Galaxy out of the way first".

Forum Links
Forum Rules