Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Will loud music hurt my CRT? Ive always wondered...

Will loud music hurt my CRT? Ive always wondered...
Lucidwray
Jan 6, 2003, 07:17 PM

Ok,
Ive always wondered this. My desk is just a hollow core door (like a bedroom door) on a frame of 4x4's and 2x4's.. So when I crank up my stere in my room the it makes just about everything vibrate...(gotta love AudioSlave)... including everything on it (my 2 20" Mitsubishi Monitors).

If the stereo is loud enough you can auctually see the audio (not just the bass) causing the picture to distort. You can see ripples moving across the screen like the electron gun is being vibrated and causing the image to wave slightly..

Will this cause damage to the monitor eventually.. or does it take more to hurt a monitor (like strong magnetic fields).

Anyone who knows about the innerworking of a monitor care to take a shot at this?

Thanks
nolo contendere: A legal term meaning: "I didn't do it, judge, and I'll never do it again."

hayesk
Jan 6, 2003, 07:44 PM

Are your speakers on your desk too? If not, and it's vibrating your monitor's display, I'd be more worried about your ears.

If your desk is very shaky, fix your desk first. If it still vibrates the screen - turn it down for your hearing's sake!

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2003, 07:55 PM

Vibration could be the cause, but also consider that if they're unshielded speakers then the magnetic field can screw with the colors and alignment of the CRT.

Here's a good test: Play some loud music out of one speaker and lift it above its resting surface a bit. If your monitor is still going nuts then the magnetic field is the problem.

After that, get your signature within guidelines.

Lucidwray  (op)
Jan 7, 2003, 12:52 AM

I dont think you two read the post very well. I know whats causing the distortion. It's the vibrations from the speakers (through both the desk and air)

What I want to know is will it hurt my monitors?

Also, wataru, would you be so kind as to point me to the sig guidelines?

Thanks all
nolo contendere: A legal term meaning: "I didn't do it, judge, and I'll never do it again."

Cipher13
Jan 7, 2003, 02:35 AM

Originally posted by Lucidwray:
I dont think you two read the post very well. I know whats causing the distortion. It's the vibrations from the speakers (through both the desk and air)

What I want to know is will it hurt my monitors?

Also, wataru, would you be so kind as to point me to the sig guidelines?

Thanks all
I don't think it is the vibrations.

How close are the speakers to the monitor?

Even shielded speakers can do this to a CRT if they're cranked loud enough...

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2003, 03:41 AM

yup I think Chiper is right with that, i have some great CSW Newton M80s, 8 inch woofer, they are magneticly sheilded, i actually took the driver out and checked and theres a huge zinc surround around the magnet. But when i do listen to music pretty loud, My monitor has the shakes, and the speaker is a good 2 feet away,

One thing that you might do is change the cross over on your mains, i am guessing they are close to your monitor, so they don't reach as low of frequency, and kick up the sub, if you got one , because the lower the notes the more of a magnetic feild there is around the driver, resulting in the frigged up screen. also try using a higher refresh rate, mine is set to 75hz and it flickers with the music but when i turn it up to 99hz its barly noticable.

As for damaging the CRT, i belive short term isn't bad, but if you are cranking that music for a long time you might run into problems.

BTW AudioSlave Sux ballz,

Long Live the Rage !!!

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Lucidwray  (op)
Jan 7, 2003, 04:47 AM

G4ME, the suggestion about cranking up the refresh rate is a good idea. It seems to help.

Long live Rage!.. I totaly agree, but whadda ya gonna do

FWIW, My speakers are a good 10 feet away from my machine.

thanks for the replys!

Forum Links
Forum Rules