Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Server sleeps - hard crash

Server sleeps - hard crash
pjosborne
Jun 2, 2003, 01:06 PM

Am I missing something here or does OS X really lock up every time a 'server' is unavailable?

I have a two computer home network over Airport - my main computer (G4) and an iBook. When I'm working on one and need a file from the other I use OS X's 'connect to server' to mount the volume I need to access).

Subsequently, if 'the server' I'm connected to (which can be either the G4 or the laptop depending which machine I am currently working on) goes to sleep, then the next time I try to save any file on 'the client' I get a continual rainbow wheel while (I presume) the OS goes looking for the missing server before bringing up a 'save' dialog box.

If I'm unable to wake the server (or if I've taken the laptop to another office with one of the G4's disks still mounted on the desktop), I have to reboot to escape the rainbow cursor.

Surely it's not meant to be like this - even OS9 gave a more graceful error message. If I am missing something here, I'd be grateful for any hints.

Peter (UK)
Peter Osborne
Small Fry Web Hosting

Macola
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2003, 03:46 PM

It's not just you...see this thread:
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=160271
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

pjosborne  (op)
Jun 2, 2003, 05:09 PM

Originally posted by Macola:
It's not just you...see this thread:
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=160271
Thanks Macola - not sure how I missed the thread. Unbelievable that Apple haven't sorted this out.....

Peter
Peter Osborne
Small Fry Web Hosting

Forum Links
Forum Rules