Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Pixelpalooza 2004 Winners Announced

Pixelpalooza 2004 Winners Announced
div
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2004, 12:47 PM

Sorry if this has been mentioned already (I searched first, but didn't find anything), but the 2004 Pixelpalooza winners have been announced. Check 'em out here.

idle
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2004, 01:20 PM

congrats to the winners - even if i do not really agree with the jury's choices on some of them... what the heck, it should be about the fun, right?

cheerz, [ idle. ]

Komisar
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2004, 04:38 PM

Worst choices i have ever seen wow i don't know wtf iconfactory has been smokin, but i want some too

div  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2004, 04:57 PM

Here's a better link that shows not only the winners, but the other entries as well. This is good for comparing who won vs. what was entered.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2004, 05:48 PM

is it just me, or do most of the winnners have a 'cartoony' feel to their icons?

then again I guess most of the entries had the same feel.

Chris

Komisar
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2004, 06:23 PM

Yes, but there are much better ones, these are pathetic i don't mean to be rude to the designer, but these didn't deserve to win thought they are ok

benign
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2004, 07:18 PM

The Yenz - Moccu icons were without a doubt the most deserving winner.
For once I agree with the IF team.

Some of you couldn't see 'sublime design' if it were painted on your barn door.

Yenz is one of the best virtuoso designers of an entire generation.

Simple Empire...

k.mo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2004, 07:25 PM

What happened to Translucent icons, Mr. IF editors? Bezel? H30? Rokey's Smooth Metal?
( Last edited by k.mo; Apr 21, 2004 at 08:41 PM. )

Komisar
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2004, 08:13 PM

Yeah wtf are you talking bout sublime, they are pathetic it looks like an eight year old who is color blind, there are much more deserving ones, like k.mo said, rockey's smooth metal, bezel, h30 and tell me somthing wtf underwater winner for candy bar this is the most pathetic calaboration of icons i have seen in my entire life, the judges deserve to be shot, survivors shot again, and if your still alive after that you deserve to be hit over the head with a 23 inch cinema display till i can play pool with your eyes!

k.mo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2004, 08:44 PM

Komisar, try to give the artists some credit for what they've made. No one deserve to be flamed for "pathetic icons" or "poor judgement"

wreks
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2004, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by Komisar:
this is the most pathetic calaboration of icons i have seen in my entire life, the judges deserve to be shot, survivors shot again, and if your still alive after that you deserve to be hit over the head with a 23 inch cinema display till i can play pool with your eyes!
[senses Komisar's set wasn't among the winners]

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 21, 2004, 09:03 PM

I wouldn't go as far as to ask for a violent protest, like Komissar But i still think these were poor choices. Benign, those icons are certainly well made - but so are many others. And not many people have a use for these, whereas loads of people are raving about bezel icons or h30 ... maybe we are not artistic enough for you, but then again maybe you artsy types should have your own icons contest
Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they
come at you rapidly

Komisar
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2004, 09:27 PM

I have never made an icon before im just a fanatic, and i do give credit to the artist and the time they put in, but they just don't deserve some of the awards they got tahts all and i still stand by the killing of the survivors lol

huggeebear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2004, 10:33 PM

the judges deserve to be shot, survivors shot again, and if your still alive after that you deserve to be hit over the head with a 23 inch cinema display till i can play pool with your eyes!

lol and yet so true, the choices here are a travesty, a tragedy, i cannot belive it. Among the Mac OS X category, Bezels should have have walked away with the title by a mile and a half, easily the most fucntional and stylish Icons in that category, the others are just unusable cutesy gimmicks

as for candybar, what about Translucent Icons ( a clear winner *boom boom* ) Smooth Icons, radiisys or milk

sheesh, what a shame...

Keifer
Apr 21, 2004, 10:53 PM

I want to know is: what were the people thinking when they voted for kids in the popular choice catagory?!? I respect everaldo alot, and I'm a linux user (and most gnome & kde people veiw him as a design god), but I didn't vote for his entry. I would have entered 'outlines' if I was him.

outline

ok, done expressing my feelings...
"keyfur"

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2004, 08:48 AM

I'm dismayed and underwhelmed by the selections this year. IF is usually so on the ball, it's like they handed voting over to a bunch of crack addicts.

Komisar
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2004, 08:55 AM

See someone finally agrees with me on this issue, and no they weren't crack addicts, they found em in rehab ; )

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2004, 11:13 AM

Totally. I mean, look at the CandyBar winner. WTF. How on earth is that set supposed to be useable, concise system icons replacements, like Milk or even MurderMystery are? A fish is the documents folder? The icons have almost NO reasonable visual cue to make them practical.

Meanwhile you have a set like Bezel Icons, which convey *everything* icons are SUPPOSED to be- Simplicity, clarity, visual appeal. Bezel Icons wuz robbed, I tell ya.

Again--nothing against the winning designer(s). They are well executed, just not appropriate. All these cartoony, candy-colored Illustrator derived icons are getting tiresome. I take it back- crack addicts didn't judge Pixelpalooza, the staff's KIDS did!

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2004, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by Komisar:
Worst choices i have ever seen wow i don't know wtf iconfactory has been smokin, but i want some too
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2004, 09:04 PM

i have to agree... i was quite disappointed also. nice work, just not too usable.
blueverticalstudio_ boston new york los angeles
www.blueverticalstudio.com
www.theblogproject.com

miloszwl
Apr 23, 2004, 04:58 PM

thanks for all nice comments about my H3O.

Of course I am sad about loosing but speaking honestly I was sure it will be like that. Iconfactory just love some crazy or let's say extremly original icons. It's their contest and they rules so no comments here.

Anyway, my congratulations to winners!

chezpaul
Senior User
Apr 24, 2004, 03:14 AM

Ya iconfactory winners have always been earthy lovingly wacked icons... We had rabbits and trees. Lots of color earthy cortoony winners... go wonder...
those guys must all have young kids or something.
Dual 1 Gig DDR & 15' Powerbook 867 MHz, Sony Ericsson T637 phone

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2004, 03:25 AM

Originally posted by benign:

The Yenz - Moccu icons were without a doubt the most deserving winner.
For once I agree with the IF team.

Some of you couldn't see 'sublime design' if it were painted on your barn door.

Yenz is one of the best virtuoso designers of an entire generation.
Agreed here. I really liked these icons. Impressive stuff.

Forum Links
Forum Rules