Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Dashboard gadgets references needed

Dashboard gadgets references needed
miloszwl
Jul 6, 2004, 08:00 AM

Hi,

I am interested in creating gadgets for my friend who has original copy of Tiger preview from ADC and sometimes let me play on his computer.

However, I can't find any tutorials, documentation or anything. I checked developer files on Tiger preview but nothing.

Anybody know something about that?

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2004, 09:11 AM

Originally posted by miloszwl:
Hi,

I am interested in creating gadgets for my friend who has original copy of Tiger preview from ADC and sometimes let me play on his computer.

However, I can't find any tutorials, documentation or anything. I checked developer files on Tiger preview but nothing.

Just check out the gadget files that are already installed. They are just basically web pages with a few special hooks. if you're familiar with JavaScript, HTML and CSS, then it should be a pretty easy transition.

miloszwl  (op)
Jul 6, 2004, 01:18 PM

They are just basically web pages with a few special hooks.
it is very general and very popular sentence that can be seen often while talking about dashboard. it is something more than Javasript and HTML. The problem is that there is no deetailed documentation for "that few special hooks" and that is why i asked

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2004, 05:29 PM

it is very general and very popular sentence that can be seen often while talking about dashboard. it is something more than Javasript and HTML. The problem is that there is no deetailed documentation for "that few special hooks" and that is why i asked
You see it a lot because it's true It's really no more than a simple web page that can be opened in any browser. If you're wondering about anything special in particular, it uses CSS3 extensively for a lot of new things. The additions are done through standard methods of HTML and CSS. There's no special code you need to learn. Examples of earlier adoptions of CSS3 by Safari include transparent colors and text shadows. Packaging-wise, from what I remember, there's almost no special concerns. You basically have your "site" setup however you want it. HTML file, linked CSS, inline CSS etc... Basically your current knowledge with HTML and JavaScript is what would constitute 95 percent of a good widget. Theoretically, you could take a webpage you built, add ".gadget" to the folder's name nd launch it through Dashboard.

Lots of special things like animations and sliding are done with JavaScript. If you want to know what a particular Gadget does, then quite simply, open it up in TextEdit and take a look. If you already looked for Dashboard documentation and couldn't find it, then it doesn't exist. For now, you'll have to stick with effects that you know exist and anything that you can muster through HTML and JavaScript. If you really want to get as much info as possible, the best you can do right now is read Hyatt's blog. He outlines a few notable additions and extensions which make Dashboard tick. Aside from that, you're going to have to wait until either Tiger is released or documentation is made public if you desperately want to gt those "special hooks".

slava
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2004, 03:42 AM

Hi,

Tell your friend to install XCode tools and look in /Developer/Examples/Dashboard =)
// slava@unsanity

miloszwl  (op)
Jul 7, 2004, 02:37 PM

thanks Slava! I don't know how we missed it

again thx

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 7, 2004, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by slava:
Tell your friend to install XCode tools and look in /Developer/Examples/Dashboard =)
hey, slave.

an offtopic question; What purpose does the Russian Unsanity office have ? Anything new coming out of that particular office ? Like Shift&Shape1.0 ? j/k

I really want to know.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

miloszwl  (op)
Jul 7, 2004, 06:04 PM

You are too curious Fonzie

FBI, CIA, KGB - we all have our small secrets

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 7, 2004, 06:17 PM

You are too curious Fonzie

FBI, CIA, KGB - we all have our small secrets

I really AM curious about everything. Especially when I see images of something.

btw. Slava; Did you know that there's a Mac emulator available for the Amiga that is quite old also named Shapeshifter ? I used it once. hehe. Just look around www.aminet.net

My stakes are on F.B.I because Mulder and Scully are there. They solve some really tough cases. I've seen them on television. Oh wait, that was not for real? damn.

slava
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2004, 07:20 AM

Originally posted by Fonzie:
hey, slave.

an offtopic question; What purpose does the Russian Unsanity office have ? Anything new coming out of that particular office ? Like Shift&Shape1.0 ? j/k

I really want to know.
Well, we have our tester and another programmer working at the Russian office (not counting me), so vast majority of haxies get produced and tested here. As for new projects coming out from this particular office, we have stuff in the development, but as usual, you'll be first to know here on MacNN Forums when we'll be ready to announce anything.

As for the Amiga emulator, yeah, I've heard about it -- some people bring this up sometimes. I've been an Amiga user for a while, but not as much as a ZX Spectrum.
// slava@unsanity

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2004, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by slava:
Well, we have our tester and another programmer working at the Russian office (not counting me), so vast majority of haxies get produced and tested here. As for new projects coming out from this particular office, we have stuff in the development, but as usual, you'll be first to know here on MacNN Forums when we'll be ready to announce anything.

As for the Amiga emulator, yeah, I've heard about it -- some people bring this up sometimes. I've been an Amiga user for a while, but not as much as a ZX Spectrum.
Woohoo an old Amiga user. Can you please port VisualPrefs :LOL: j/k

Have you taken up on my suggestion of implementing a startup and shutdown-sound ability in Xounds ? No need to reply. Just nod.

Forum Links
Forum Rules