Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > PHP web-stores on OS X?

PHP web-stores on OS X?
andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 17, 2005, 06:07 PM

I did a little read-up about setting up a PHP based web-store on OS X... and after some google searches and a few other reads, I understand that I need to "activate" PHP and Apache on my Mac.

(I'm running Panther by the way.)

I came across this link which had a pretty much simple to understand guide to installing PHP.

I've done so but I can't get the web-store to work though. Am trying out osCommerce.

I'm still very new to this PHP thing.

Am I still short of any anything? Do I need those mysql apps?

Any advice would be handy.
Much appreciated
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2005, 01:56 AM

What other e-commerce stores are there that are PHP-based? I like the looks of iSell, but it's for MacDock customers. eSellerate looked good until I saw some comments made over at nsLog about it. What else is out there?

Lucidwray
Jan 18, 2005, 05:23 AM

I have used CubeCart in the past to do PHP based ecommerce stores. $59 for a full version and you get everything. The code is super clean and very easy to modify to suit your needs. It worked perfect for our needs. I have never used it on a Mac OS X server, only Redhat 9, but with a full PHP install on Mac OS X there shouldn't be any problems.

http://www.cubecart.com
nolo contendere: A legal term meaning: "I didn't do it, judge, and I'll never do it again."

genevish
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2005, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by andretan:
I did a little read-up about setting up a PHP based web-store on OS X... and after some google searches and a few other reads, I understand that I need to "activate" PHP and Apache on my Mac.

(I'm running Panther by the way.)

I came across this link which had a pretty much simple to understand guide to installing PHP.

I've done so but I can't get the web-store to work though. Am trying out osCommerce.

I'm still very new to this PHP thing.

Am I still short of any anything? Do I need those mysql apps?

Any advice would be handy.
Much appreciated
Well, the first thing would be some more information about what "doesn't work". Does PHP itself work? Try creating an index.php file with:
Code:
<?php phpinfo(); ?>
As for "those mysql apps", the front page of the osCommerce site does indicate you need the MySQL database server running to use the software. There's a Mac OS X installer pkg on the MySQL site:

http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/4.1.html

-Scott
Scott Genevish
scott AT genevish DOT org

andretan  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 22, 2005, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by genevish:
Well, the first thing would be some more information about what "doesn't work". Does PHP itself work? Try creating an index.php file with:
Code:
<?php phpinfo(); ?>
As for "those mysql apps", the front page of the osCommerce site does indicate you need the MySQL database server running to use the software. There's a Mac OS X installer pkg on the MySQL site:

http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/4.1.html

-Scott
Sorry for the late reply, PHP does work now.
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

Forum Links
Forum Rules