Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > switcher's review: Pbook 12"

switcher's review: Pbook 12"
tie
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2005, 11:55 AM

My review of my new Mac Powerbook G4 12":

First impressions

This is a review of my new Mac. I've used Apples since the IIe, and was on OS X starting with the public beta. Nonetheless, I switched most of my work to an IBM laptop a few years ago. It seemed like now was a good time to switch back, so I did so.

How I chose the computer: It didn't seem very competitive to PC offerings out there. Pricewise, it was quite cheap, but price wasn't a factor for me. I really wish Apple would come out with lighter, faster laptops, like e.g. the Fujitsu 7000 (14" screen, 3.8 pounds), the IBM T43 (14" screen, 4.5 pounds), or the Sony Vaio 380 (13" widescreen, 4.7 pounds). All these computers I was considering came with build-in DVD writers. The Mac G4 12" was the heaviest, and yet also had the smallest screen, and also the lowest resolution screen (the IBM and Fujitsu are both 1400x1000, the Sony 1300x800, the Mac 1000x800). In terms of performance, the most noticeable stat is the bus speed. PCs are running at 533 MHz, the Mac at 167 MHz. The Mac was however cheaper than the PC alternatives, but again price wasn't an issue. So why did I still buy the Mac? For one thing, I thought the OS would make up for some of the other cons. This is partly true -- for example, Expose does make the 1024x768 screen slightly more bearable.

About the computer itself:
The display: I didn't notice this in the store, perhaps partly because I couldn't move the computers around to compare screens. But the 12" screen is very dim. The viewing angle is also awful. Even though the screen is only 12" diagonal, there are still very noticeable shifts towards the edge of the screen (with my head at a reasonable viewing position). Very precisely setting the angle of the screen helps slightly, but not enough. (If the angle isn't exactly right, though, the entire screen will look too dim.) Apple's hingeless design may look cool, but since the screen opens up so its bottom is actually beneath the keyboard level, this makes it a little difficult to use the computer with good posture (without hunching over). Perhaps other smaller notebooks have similar problems, I don't know, but just looking at the case, it seems that using a hinge would push the screen up by maybe 3/4". Maybe the first thing I did after turning the computer on was to change the desktop background. I chose one of Apple's backgrounds with I think a blue sky. And I was very surprised to see visible dithering. It shouldn't be dithering -- I think this means that the screen is only 18 bit, not true 24 bit capable. Apple's specifications don't say, so I am suspicious.
The noise: This computer is very noisy. The hard drive never sleeps and there is always a noise from it. Before the computer sleeps, there is a blessed moment of silence with the LCD screen still on but the hard drive asleep. Worse, the fans are quite noisy, too, and they come on quite frequently. I recently downloaded Temperature Monitor, and the graphics card might be the culprit. In any case, once the fans come on, I can't figure out how to get them to turn off. Leaving the computer on with nothing running, the fans will stay on indefinitely. I have to put the computer to sleep then wake it up for the fans to turn off.
The keyboard: I am not quite used to it, and am missing keypresses still. Probably just me.

The switching process: It took me a bit of time to figure out how to connect my old PC laptop to this one. Eventually, though, I figured out how to share Windows folders, and then how to get the Ethernet connection working. Apple's documentation wasn't very helpful, since it basically told me to look at the Windows documentation to figure out how to set up the PC. The Windows documentation isn't very good at all, and it would have saved me some hassle if Apple had included its own documentation. Eventually, though, things started to work, even with just a standard Ethernet cable. If anyone else has questions on how to do this, I think I can probably help. Actually, I was transferring files from three sources: the PC laptop, my old Mac, and the network. The PC laptop transfer was the easiest. When transferring from the old Mac, I repeatedly ran into issues with the Finder. It would often lock up (with a beach ball) when copying even just moderate numbers of files (a few hundred or thousand, a few hundred or thousand megabytes). Worse, when the Finder became unresponsive, so did the whole computer. For example, I sometimes had to wait at least a minute before the force-quit dialog would show up so I could relaunch the finder. Then the Finder wouldn't actually relaunch. This was hell. Since then I have learned that the Finder can't copy more than one group of items at a time. It consistently gives beachballs, and effectively freezes, when trying to copy more than one group at a time. This is very worrisome, because I don't like file-handling routines to crash, and potentially corrupt my data. It is such a basic bug, too.

The operating system: This is very unstable, worse than Windows XP but perhaps similar to WIn2k. I've had only one or two true operating system crashes in the few weeks I've been using this computer, but I've had many more Finder crashes and from my perspective the Finder is part of the OS. Generally, the OS is very unpolished. I have been used to Windows, which after a while one begins to feel was designed by the proverbial monkeys at typewriters. But the Mac is surprisingly frequently even worse. This was a big letdown. Besides the Finder, which has dozens of bugs, another random example is the Airport menu which often shows full bars when it means no bars.
The application switching method is just terrible. I cannot figure out the order applications show up when I command-tab. It stays consistent for a while, then seems to randomize. After it randomizes, I have to tab through all the applications to find what icon is associated with what name, and then shift tab back (because I'll have gone too far). Windows is more consistent and more efficient. While expose is frequently nice, there really needs to be a place where applications/windows are consistently organized, with text visible not just random icons.
Spotlight is surprisingly useful. Dashboard is hardly anything, but is better than I expected. (But it is quite slow -- why for example does it take a second for the clock to show its hands?)

The single-button mouse: It is very surprising to me that I am using modifier keys much more frequently than on a PC. For example, I have to command-click all the time. In Firefox, I have to control-click. To page-down, I have to press function-down arrow. To forward-delete, I have to function-delete. And yet I am less efficient than on a PC. For example, in Windows, one can always tab through the choices in a dialog box (Okay, Cancel, etc.). What is the equivalent key combo on a Mac? I just figured out that tabbing to cancel can be enabled in the Keyboard control panel, but I am still not sure how to hit cancel -- pressing return after selecting cancel still sends Okay. Why is Windows more intuitive than Mac?

Applications:
Powerpoint 2004 is not as good as the equivalent PC Powerpoint, I noticed very soon. For example, the animation controls are significantly worse (more complicated to use, fewer controls). It is also much slower opening files with meta inserts. I had thought that Keynote came with the Powerbook, but apparently, only a trial version. Anyway, it didn't do a good job importing a Powerpoint presentation (for example, losing arrowheads on line segments, changing transparent images to a solid color, and losing the animations). The arrows can be quickly fixed -- but Apple should have fixed this -- and I don't know how to fix the other things.
LaTeX installed easily, though I prefer the simpler directory structure and GUI interface of the Windows miktex. I struggled a bit with this yesterday.
For surfing the web, Firefox doesn't work as well on the Mac as it does on the PC. The key problem, which has forced me to switch to Safari, is that dragging URLs to the Finder creates a file with the URL as its name, instead of the web page title (as with PC Firefox, or Safari). Also, some of the commands seem to be messed up in Firefox. For example, Delete and Shift-Delete don't go forward and backward (as on the PC, or with Safari). Interestingly, two-finger mousepad scrolling works quite differently than in Safari -- up and down is fine, but left and right seems to go back two pages and forward two pages respectively (can't get it to go forward or back just one page). The Safari implementation is better. For now, I have to use both Firefox and Safari, because Firefox has better web archiving with the Scrapbook extension, and also it saves the tab bar state on quitting. I also don't know how to switch between tabs in Safari -- control-tab doesn't work. On a PC, FIrefox sufficed.
GraphicConverter is a nice powerful application, with a learning curve. iPhoto is just awful compared to Picasa -- no lossless editing and it forces you to use its directory structure, it also saves every image before letting you go on to the next one (meaning it is glacially slow) -- but I have been able to work out a photo workflow using GraphicConverter. Still, the PC workflow was superior, since Picasa is substantially faster with a much better interface and more controls than GraphicConverter. I had intended to pick up Photoshop CS 2 right away, but the Intel announcement has put software purchases on hold.
I am using VirtualPC to run a few applications, for example s7raw to convert RAW files from my Fuji camera.
I had assumed X11 would be either installed by default or downloadable from Apple. So I left the install CD at home and went on a trip. But in fact, the only way to get Apple's X11 is off the install CD. I had to compile and install X11 myself; this was a huge pain.

Random: The computer doesn't warn me before it goes to sleep because of low battery power.
Here is a bug which I assume must be an operating system bug, because the same thing happens in all sorts of different applications: A line of text just disappears, or is duplicated, in a text box. There are lots of bugs like this -- but I remembered this one because it just now occurred here. Clicking around, and scrolling up and down, then more clicking, and the text appeared again.

This is largely a negative review, and, yes, I am considering switching back. The noisiness of this powerbook is unacceptable -- as I sit here even just typing, the fan is cycling louder/quieter/louder/quieter -- and the poor screen is very annoying. Connecting to an external monitor makes it even more noisy, since the graphics card really struggles. And yet another forced incompatibility with the Intel switch? It's good news that Mac hardware will finally catch up to PCs (a year from now, at least), but I don't want to have to rebuy all my software. The bugginess of OS X has really annoyed me. Why can't Apple stop and fix the current bugs before adding on tons of new features which make it even buggier? The current Finder deserves the adjective "Microsoftian" more than Windows XP.

That all said, I'd certainly appreciate any advice as to how to improve things.

Second impressions (added 6/28)

Here are some second impressions a few weeks later. It's mostly a list of bugs I've run into, although there are some nuggets hidden there if you care to dig through it (Quicksilver!).

Short summary: OS X is great. I love the interface, and the screen space with dual monitors. Spotlight is fantastic — on Windows I had missed a decent search function (never tried the google desktop search, though). For me, Dashboard is very practical; I use it for conversions, calendar, weather, google maps, dictionary, stickies, and two photo albums for inspiration. Little tips I found in this thread like using the space bar to select a button have made navigation so much easier (but it doesn't work in Photoshop 7!). Another key combo: ctrl-cmd-D looks up the word under the mouse in the dictionary. I have no idea where these come from — couldn't find anything in the Help topics — but they are great to know.

Quicksilver works a treat and has eased navigation a bit. The developer's web site makes it sound like huge bloatware (talking about automating emails and the like — why do I need to automatically send out tons of emails from the Desktop?), but in practice it just works. I also downloaded Witch for app/window switching with text labels, but it was too ugly.

I've basically figured out a photography workflow. I convert RAW files in VirtualPC, then use GraphicConverter to edit IPTC and to finish conversion for my Jalbum website. Occasionally, I use Photoshop 7, but I don't trust that it saves the EXIF properly, so I only use it through GraphicConverter. GraphicConverter is dog slow even at trivial things like making a selection and I have considered using Picasa in VirtualPC, but for now I'll just wait.

About the interface, there are a few little things that I wish Apple would fix, but now know they never will. For example, dragging selected text doesn't work like I think it should. Back with OS 9, for example, I drag-and-dropped all the time. When I switched to Windows, I had to switch to using copy-paste, because drag-and-drop behavior just wasn't consistent. On OS X, drag-and-dropping is much like Windows, and I'm becoming resigned to using copy-paste. Another example: Menus occasionally open then immediately close, instead of staying open. So I have to open them again. Mac (pre OS X) used to have the best menus around, but nowadays little things like this have broken them.

Here come the promised bugs. I feel the software is all buggy, even more than most of the big Windows apps. I'm a bit afraid that we're doomed to buggy software for a while now, especially because of the Intel transition. I have taken to quitting applications when possible to try to keep them "fresh."

The "Open with.." is completely broken. OS X insists on opening my TeX files with Script Editor even though I have several times told it to "Always open" with TeXShop (another very buggy program).

Preview has crashed several times. Finder has crashed: At one point, while scrolling through a window, the Finder blurred all the icons down the window. It didn't freeze and I was able to take a screenshot and close the window. Once, after waking the computer up, the Dock would not appear (I typically have it hidden to the side, but nothing would get it to pull out). I could see the Dock if I went to the Apple menu and turned hiding off, but if I turned hiding back on again nothing would trigger it to show itself. When I tried to restart the Dock wouldn't go away. Apple's force-quit dialog is useless (Microsoft, from long experience I suppose, has a much better force quit dialog), but fortunately I have the Activity Monitor in my Dock (which was still responsive and was visible since I had turned off hiding) so I quit the Dock with that. After restarting, it seemed to work fine again.

I tried Keynote for a presentation last week. I did so because Mac Powerpoint has a worse interface than Windows Powerpoint. Keynote is missing a lot of features (e.g., an arc tool) and its LaTeX interface (via EquationEditor, the only option for what I do since I sometimes need tex->dvi->ps->pdf compiling) is inferior to Powerpoint's. But I decided I'd give it a fair shot anyway, and converted over a presentation I was working on. After Keynote crashed and I lost 30 minutes of work, I'll never use it again. Keynote doesn't do automatic incremental saves, and is quite slow at saving files (the same presentation, maybe 30MB, Powerpoint saves in ~5 seconds, and Keynote in ~45 seconds), so there is no practical way to protect my work. I've opened up both NeoOffice and OpenOffice, but they were too ugly to contemplate using. Maybe I'll give them a fairer shot next time.

Mail just crashed and I almost lost an email. Fortunately, I'm relearning the old habits of saving all the time, and I'd saved a draft. It crashed because I lost the wireless connection while I was sending the email, because the wireless connectivity stinks. </rant> (I haven't made any controlled tests on wireless connectivity, but it sure hasn't amazed me.)

Safari is buggy. For example, a few days ago it couldn't be hidden. Hide Safari didn't work, Hide others from another app didn't work. Restarting Safari fixed it. Perhaps this is a window manager bug.

I had a similar problem actually with X11. All of a sudden the windows all maximized (even though their hidden icons were still there), and I had to minimize them back one by one. X11 on a Mac laptop, by the way, is awesome.

The problem with disappearing lines of text seems to be limited to TeXShop.
Sleep is fairly nice. I wouldn't mind if it went to sleep faster, also if it gave some feedback that it was putting itself to sleep, but it wakes up quite quickly.

Fan just came on. I guess I'm typing too fast.

I'd like to upgrade to Photoshop CS 2 (still on 7), but I'm worried about this whole Intel switch thing. I'd like my software to last.. But I'll have to give in eventually, since converting 12 megapixel RAW files in VirtualPC, even with batches, is a lesson in patience, and I'm going on vacation soon (lots of photos!). This whole Intel switch caught me by surprise.
( Last edited by tie; Jun 28, 2005 at 12:28 AM. )

glhart
Jun 12, 2005, 12:11 PM

A few weeks ago, I almost bought a 12" powerbook, as I need a small machine. I had one when they first came out and did not like the screen, but I assumed Apple had improved it. I went to the Apple store and discovered they had not -- same screen, which for me makies the computer almost unusable. So I bought a 15" 1.5 gig, and am quite happy with it. The screen seems much brighter than my older 15" and it is a joy to work with. Apparently, Apple will not have any first-rate very small laptops until the Intel chips. I certainly hope they improve the screen.

ender2002
Senior User
Jun 12, 2005, 12:38 PM

go back to windowz!

seriously. you arent needed

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2005, 01:01 PM

Why 12-inch? 15 and 17 inch PowerBooks have clearly superior, brighter displays than the 12-inch PowerBook. I am pretty sure that Apple is aware of the major issues right now with PowerBook & iBook specifications relative to PCs, and that major revisions to correct these problems will be forthcoming with Intel processors.
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

f1000
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2005, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by tie
Apple's hingeless design may look cool, but since the screen opens up so its bottom is actually beneath the keyboard level, this makes it a little difficult to use the computer with good posture (without hunching over). Perhaps other smaller notebooks have similar problems, I don't know, but just looking at the case, it seems that using a hinge would push the screen up by maybe 3/4".
That's your opinion. I for one am a big fan of the current hinge design with its rear firing speakers. It helps make it easier to use the laptop in a cramped seat. Besides, have you ever had to read a book or write on a sheet of paper? You usually have to look straight down at your desk to do these things.

Maybe the first thing I did after turning the computer on was to change the desktop background. I chose one of Apple's backgrounds with I think a blue sky. And I was very surprised to see visible dithering. It shouldn't be dithering -- I think this means that the screen is only 18 bit, not true 24 bit capable. Apple's specifications don't say, so I am suspicious.
First off, calibrate your screen. Secondly, Apple's backgrounds may not be 24-bit. The dithering or posterizing that you see may also be due to JPEG compression artifacts.

The noise: This computer is very noisy. The hard drive never sleeps and there is always a noise from it. Before the computer sleeps, there is a blessed moment of silence with the LCD screen still on but the hard drive asleep. Worse, the fans are quite noisy, too, and they come on quite frequently. I recently downloaded Temperature Monitor, and the graphics card might be the culprit. In any case, once the fans come on, I can't figure out how to get them to turn off. Leaving the computer on with nothing running, the fans will stay on indefinitely. I have to put the computer to sleep then wake it up for the fans to turn off.
Sadly, this is true. My PB runs its fan like an HVAC unit.

The keyboard: I am not quite used to it, and am missing keypresses still. Probably just me.
Get an external.

The switching process: It took me a bit of time to figure out how to connect my old PC laptop to this one. Eventually, though, I figured out how to share Windows folders, and then how to get the Ethernet connection working. Apple's documentation wasn't very helpful, since it basically told me to look at the Windows documentation to figure out how to set up the PC. The Windows documentation isn't very good at all, and it would have saved me some hassle if Apple had included its own documentation. Eventually, though, things started to work, even with just a standard Ethernet cable. If anyone else has questions on how to do this, I think I can probably help.
Luckily, you only have to switch once. Besides, there are a lot of threads on this board on how to migrate files over.

Actually, I was transferring files from three sources: the PC laptop, my old Mac, and the network. The PC laptop transfer was the easiest. When transferring from the old Mac, I repeatedly ran into issues with the Finder. It would often lock up (with a beach ball) when copying even just moderate numbers of files (a few hundred or thousand, a few hundred or thousand megabytes). Worse, when the Finder became unresponsive, so did the whole computer. For example, I sometimes had to wait at least a minute before the force-quit dialog would show up so I could relaunch the finder. Then the Finder wouldn't actually relaunch. This was hell. Since then I have learned that the Finder can't copy more than one group of items at a time. It consistently gives beachballs, and effectively freezes, when trying to copy more than one group at a time. This is very worrisome, because I don't like file-handling routines to crash, and potentially corrupt my data. It is such a basic bug, too.
I don't see this problem. Maybe you're trying to copy files with unusual characters in their names?

The operating system: This is very unstable, worse than Windows XP but perhaps similar to WIn2k. I've had only one or two true operating system crashes in the few weeks I've been using this computer, but I've had many more Finder crashes and from my perspective the Finder is part of the OS. Generally, the OS is very unpolished. I have been used to Windows, which after a while one begins to feel was designed by the proverbial monkeys at typewriters. But the Mac is surprisingly frequently even worse. This was a big letdown. Besides the Finder, which has dozens of bugs, another random example is the Airport menu which often shows full bars when it means no bars.
I'd say this has more to do with your particular system than with OS X in general. Watch out for shareware and hacks.

The application switching method is just terrible. I cannot figure out the order applications show up when I command-tab. It stays consistent for a while, then seems to randomize. After it randomizes, I have to tab through all the applications to find what icon is associated with what name, and then shift tab back (because I'll have gone too far). Windows is more consistent and more efficient. While expose is frequently nice, there really needs to be a place where applications/windows are consistently organized, with text visible not just random icons.
Use the dock?

The single-button mouse: It is very surprising to me that I am using modifier keys much more frequently than on a PC. For example, I have to command-click all the time. In Firefox, I have to control-click. To page-down, I have to press function-down arrow. To forward-delete, I have to function-delete. And yet I am less efficient than on a PC. For example, in Windows, one can always tab through the choices in a dialog box (Okay, Cancel, etc.). What is the equivalent key combo on a Mac? I just figured out that tabbing to cancel can be enabled in the Keyboard control panel, but I am still not sure how to hit cancel -- pressing return after selecting cancel still sends Okay.
Hitting escape, 'C', or command '.' often works for me.

Why is Windows more intuitive than Mac?
Because you're used to it.

Random: The computer doesn't warn me before it goes to sleep because of low battery power.
Sure it does. It says that you have very little battery power left and to plug in your computer. If you ignore the dialog, the PB eventually sleeps by itself. What's the point of throwing up another dialog? The PB HAS to sleep by that point.

Here is a bug which I assume must be an operating system bug, because the same thing happens in all sorts of different applications: A line of text just disappears, or is duplicated, in a text box. There are lots of bugs like this -- but I remembered this one because it just now occurred here. Clicking around, and scrolling up and down, then more clicking, and the text appeared again.

Post threads asking specific questions in the appropriate forums. You'll get answers faster that way.

tie  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2005, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by f1000
That's your opinion. I for one am a big fan of the current hinge design with its rear firing speakers. It helps make it easier to use the laptop in a cramped seat. Besides, have you ever had to read a book or write on a sheet of paper? You usually have to look straight down at your desk to do these things.
You may be right, certainly for use in a cramped seat. This is just a small thing anyway.

First off, calibrate your screen. Secondly, Apple's backgrounds may not be 24-bit. The dithering or posterizing that you see may also be due to JPEG compression artifacts.
I ran Apple's calibration tool, but still need to really calibrate it. Unfortunately I'm travelling at the moment. You may be right about the backgrounds. I was just surprised because I use the same backgrounds on my old desktop Mac, and had never noticed this. It's easy to check, and I'll do so when I plug into an external monitor again.

Luckily, you only have to switch once. Besides, there are a lot of threads on this board on how to migrate files over.
Yup. And of course I can't fault Apple that Microsoft's documentation is poor. I did like that I could use a standard Ethernet cable. If I had to do it again, though, it would be trivial, and a little documentation from Apple should be easy.

I don't see this problem. Maybe you're trying to copy files with unusual characters in their names?
I don't think so. I see this all the time. If I'm copying a large number of files, and am too impatient to wait for it to finish before starting the next copy, then I'm beachballed. If I let the first copy finish, then things work fine (so I don't see why unusual characters could be the problem).

I'd say this has more to do with your particular system than with OS X in general. Watch out for shareware and hacks.
The major instability is the Finder copy command. This bug was present in the fresh system, since I first noticed it as I was transferring over my files. I think my other crashes can be linked to having to restart the finder (which can't be good!).

Use the dock?
This is what I am starting to do. I had been keeping only my most frequently used applications in the dock. But then some apps show up at the middle of the dock (if they are permanently in it) and some open in the side. So I have to look in two places, still. And I still need to navigate based on icons, without any text help. (I actually have the dock on the side of my screen, and would find it very helpful if the names for all apps showed when I moused over there, not just the one. Also all names should show when command-tabbing.) I think I might drag every app I have into the dock, and put them in alphabetical order there.

I am also going to have to change my habits. For example, I have gotten used to hiding applications in the background, because I don't like clutter. But then they don't show up in exposé.

Hitting escape, 'C', or command '.' often works for me.
Because you're used to it.
Thanks for the tip. After I've fn-tabbed to a button, though, do you know how to "click" that button? Yes, it should certainly get easier in the future. But: I never had to ask how to switch between buttons on Windows, I just tried what seemed natural and it basically worked (at least for buttons, I never figured out lists). Right now, I'm stumped on how to do this on a Mac, despite trying things and also looking through the documentation.

You've never seen disappearing lines of text? Maybe it is me, but I've seen the same thing happen in 10.2 on a different computer. But I've also seen the same kind of bug occasionally in windows text editors, so this seems to be a common problem.

I was a bit stingy with the praise in my first post. The computer is small and handy. The power cord management is great, though the adapter takes two plug spots. The computer wakes from sleep to a useable state very quickly.

Originally Posted by Dave Hagan
Why 12-inch? 15 and 17 inch PowerBooks have clearly superior, brighter displays than the 12-inch PowerBook.
I've worked on the 15 inch. You are right, the screen is definitely much better, and people say it is quieter. But my first impression is that it is just too large and bulky. That might be okay, but it is also too heavy. 5 pounds is really my upper limit for a laptop. I had been using a 5.5 pound, 14" PC laptop, and really wanted something lighter and no larger.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2005, 04:11 PM

I'm a little concerned with your finder copying crashes. I don't recall ever experiencing those since I switched to OS X over 2 years ago, and I've been duplicating files all the time. (and it sure would be annoying when you're trying to get set up!) One of our PB12" models had a defective HD from the beginning, and it took some time to document. In the end, the Apple hardware test CD showed a defect, while most other tools did not see the problem. New HD, works great now.

I really cannot emphasize this enough -- my experience with OSX is that it is VERY stable, certainly more so than our XP machines (which have a significantly simplified set of apps to minimize conflicts). Your finder should NOT crash. The main issues I have are the apps that just are not as stable as they should be - mainly office.

As for Office for the Mac vs Office for Windows, the mac version normally has more features (and tends to come out a year later). I am surprised you found such a difference in powerpoint; are you comparing comparable versions (Office 2003 for Windows with Office 2004 for the Mac?) Or are you comparing Office for Mac OSX with Office 2003?

We've had PB12" models since they were first shipped; the HD is the only significant issue we experienced (and it WAS hard to diagnose because the HD worked at first test; not Apple's fault the HD was defective). For example, the text problem you are experiencing is unusual in my experience. And I cannot say anything about your screen except that our PB12 models' screens are all bright enough for everyday use.

And please ignore the forum critics -- you are certainly allowed to express your opinion. But suggesting OS X is less stable than XP is really a sign something is not right with your computer, that is not normal.

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 12, 2005, 08:43 PM

Thanks for the detailed critique. Sorry you're having some problems. I'm not going to claim Apple is perfect, but I haven't seen the same problems. I have a 12" Powerbook (rev. D) used with a DVI 17" display and the fan seldom comes on, either with or without the display hooked up. When it does come on, I can barely hear it. I use mostly word processing, safari, mail, and a few other low intensity apps. To be fair, you're not the only one who's reported constant fanning in these forums, but it's not my experience.

I've had maybe 3 crashes in almost a year of use. Do you have enough memory? I didn't notice how much RAM you got -- I have 768 and it makes a big difference over the included 256. Have you tried repairing permissions (via Disk Utility) and running Apple's disk repair app?

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2005, 11:07 PM

my finder hardly ever crashes on me...you ever think that the reason mac os x is a lil unstable for you is that you dont know the ropes yet? this is more of a bash than a critique and some of your points are pretty lame. you complain about the keyboard, when others here have thoroughly stated how much they love it (me included), you complain about how the screen opens??? whats the difference if the screen is open an extra inch higher? if you have bad posture you have bad posture. i do agree that some stuff needs fixing but to me a critique is supposed to be non biased and all i hear from reading all this is that windows and windows boxes are better...
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2005, 12:57 AM

iREZ, the poster had high expectations from his mac, and he has had lots of problems. His posting is largely full of frustration. I'm not sure how he could use his mac improperly and get a bunch of finder crashes.

I agree that the comments about crashing and the fan always on sounds like a major problem with the machine; none of our powerbooks have that problem.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2005, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by ender2002
go back to windowz!

seriously. you arent needed
People like you give Mac users a bad name. The majority of us realize that Apple is far from perfect, and that Apple isn't a religion - just a company that makes great products. Most PC people assume we are all like you, close minded and ignorant.

Steve Jobs cited laptops as one of the key reasons he jumped to Intel. The PowerBooks are great, I just bought a 17" 1.67 myself. However, I am fully aware of the flaws in the current lineup. I want to run OS X, so I'm willing to live with the flaws.

Feedback like this is what Apple needs to continue to push forward and start innovating again. They have innovated on the software side, but the hardware side has been lacking for a few years now. The Intel move will help to correct that.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

rocky2
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2005, 02:53 AM

I have a 1.33 GHz PB with 768 MB of RAM and have not experienced any of the problems you have.
I did have the HDD die within 4 months of purchase though. I suggest you add RAM if you only have the stock 256 MB (now 512 MB in rev 2 12" PBs), run some disk check utilities like Disk Warrior 3.03 and if that does not fix the problems, format the disk to zeroes and reinstall 10.4 over. If that does not fix the problems with Finder crashes, I would be calling in at your local AS before too long in case it is a developing H/W fault.
I have heard some comments from rev 2 owners that the screen is not as good as the rev 1 but have never had the two side by side for comparison. Mine seems fine and holds up well with the XP machines I have to work on most days.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2005, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by tie
Thanks for the tip. After I've fn-tabbed to a button, though, do you know how to "click" that button? Yes, it should certainly get easier in the future. But: I never had to ask how to switch between buttons on Windows, I just tried what seemed natural and it basically worked (at least for buttons, I never figured out lists). Right now, I'm stumped on how to do this on a Mac, despite trying things and also looking through the documentation.
Space.

Hitting return clicks the default (blue) button (and on Windows, the button with the thick border).

If you tabbed through objects and suddenly the Return key should change its functionality from hitting the default to hitting the currently selected button, that could be considered seriously broken interface design.

IIRC, space works the same way on Windows.

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2005, 07:22 AM

the command tab sorts the apps left to right in the order of what you're using most recently. As to OS X crashing - not something I'm familiar with maybe you should look into the hard disk thing as mentioned above, or check the RAM. Bad RAM tends to be the culprit for OS X crashes.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2005, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by tie

[snip]

This is largely a negative review, and, yes, I am considering switching back. The noisiness of this powerbook is unacceptable -- as I sit here even just typing, the fan is cycling louder/quieter/louder/quieter -- and the poor screen is very annoying. Connecting to an external monitor makes it even more noisy, since the graphics card really struggles. And yet another forced incompatibility with the Intel switch? It's good news that Mac hardware will finally catch up to PCs (a year from now, at least), but I don't want to have to rebuy all my software. The bugginess of OS X has really annoyed me. Why can't Apple stop and fix the current bugs before adding on tons of new features which make it even buggier? The current Finder deserves the adjective "Microsoftian" more than Windows XP.

Yep, this is largely a negative review. I agree with some of the things you've mentioned, but all in all there are things that weights up for the negative ones. I assume you are using the latest Apple OS, 10.4.0/10.4.1 and I have to agree it's buggy. Finder is buggy. Apple rushed it out a bit early. I've been on OS X since 10.0, and 10.3.9 alias Panther is probably the most polished 10.x version to this date. You just happen to get the bleeding edge offer from Apple, and thus there are more bugs in it. When Apple shipped 10.3 I thought it had its share of indisputable bugs, but they soon got ironed out. The same thing will happen in 10.4.x, and 10.4.2 is probably not to far away. OS updates for X is more than just "security updates" to put it that way, they usually fix some flaws and add features as well. So I would perhaps waited a little before I put a "final verdict" on this OS. If it's how you say, the OS doesn't warn you about little battery power, that certainly must be flaw (with the installation or whatever). I've owned a couple of Apple portables, and the procedure when the battery is draining up is a pop-up warning when you have about ten minutes left. If you ignore the message, the computer just goes to sleep. When you find a power-outlet, you can wake the machine up again and keep on working on your documents from where you left it. It's quite simple. When it comes to the hardware, I guess no-one will dispute you on the LCD quality. It's not on pair with those machines you are comparing it with. My biggest complaint about the 12" is the weak screen and bad 802.11b/g reception. Other than that, I find it interesting that you find the sound of a spinning hard-drive disturbing. Still, for me the winner was the software bundle, price, portability and build quality that made the 12" the right choice for me. I might understand that your perspective is different if you don't think the OS makes a difference, or the price tag for that matter.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

tie  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2005, 02:59 PM

I really appreciate everyone's comments. There was some frustration in my post, and I was a little worried that it would be interpreted as trolling/flamebait, but I'm glad for the positive help. I really don't want to hear that my hard disk or RAM might be defective -- I'd rather hear 10.4.2 will fix everything -- but I'll follow people's suggestions for looking into it.

By the way, I should have mentioned that I have 1.25 GB RAM installed.

Originally Posted by moodymonster
the command tab sorts the apps left to right in the order of what you're using most recently.
This is basically right. I did a little experimenting and it seems that when you hide an application it is reordered to be just in front of the last application which was hidden. This may be part of the reason why I was seeing applications moved into seemingly random locations in the middle of the list -- I have a habit of hiding apps frequently.

There is also a bug in the ordering algorithm. For example, just now the first three applications in the list are Firefox, then the printer application, then the rest (all hidden apps). If I tab over to TextEditor and call Hide Others, then the order becomes TextEditor, printer application, Firefox, the rest. It should be TextEditor, Firefox, printer app. That is, Hide Others reorders the applications being hidden (for no reason I can think of). Calling Hide Others to hide more than two applications reorders them in an even worse way, I can't figure it out but it is worse than just a single swap or a cyclic permutation. I had found this really confusing, thinking that Apple must be using some odd interface logic, but now I think it must just be a bug.

Originally Posted by analogika
Space.
If you tabbed through objects and suddenly the Return key should change its functionality from hitting the default to hitting the currently selected button, that could be considered seriously broken interface design.
Wow. Thanks. I disagree on interface design, but that's for another thread.

As I pick up on little things like this, I am enjoying this computer more and more. I think I will be able to keep fixing most of my OS and Applications issues, while avoiding the Finder Copy bug. The Airport menu is also buggy. Perhaps application switching will become easier as my icon recognition improves, but I am just much faster at finding patterns in text than images and hopefully Apple will show more text in the future.

f1000
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2005, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by tie
I don't think so. I see this all the time. If I'm copying a large number of files, and am too impatient to wait for it to finish before starting the next copy, then I'm beachballed. If I let the first copy finish, then things work fine (so I don't see why unusual characters could be the problem).
I've seen this before, but not recently.

You've never seen disappearing lines of text? Maybe it is me, but I've seen the same thing happen in 10.2 on a different computer. But I've also seen the same kind of bug occasionally in windows text editors, so this seems to be a common problem.
I haven't experienced it enough to remember it happening.

The computer wakes from sleep to a useable state very quickly.
I used to shock PC users when I'd just close the lid on my iBook and get up and go. They'd ask, "Don't you have to wait for it to shutdown?" Hehe, such poor lost souls.

jokarak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2005, 05:49 PM

Believe or not, most modern Windows laptops (post 2003) go to sleep pretty well. Granted, they are definitely not as fast as the PBs, either to go to sleep or to wake up, but they do it w/o crashing. Of course, as opposed to PBs, Windows laptops have to re-initialize lots of software, even after coming out of hibernation, so I would say that the total time to wake up is about 30~40 seconds depending on what you have on the machine, which although is a long time, is much better than a fresh reboot. Going to sleep is similar to the PB, because you don't really pay attention once the lid has been closed.

I really don't have experience w/ desktops, my last windows desktop being from about 2002, but those suckers really didn't go to sleep mode very well, basically a coin-flip as to whether it would go to sleep/wake up properly.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2005, 09:17 PM

I had found this really confusing, thinking that Apple must be using some odd interface logic, but now I think it must just be a bug.
I am not sure if this is a bug or not, but in either way, you could tip Apple about it. Your friend:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/

Sniffer gone old-school sig

takai
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2005, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by tie
There is also a bug in the ordering algorithm. For example, just now the first three applications in the list are Firefox, then the printer application, then the rest (all hidden apps). If I tab over to TextEditor and call Hide Others, then the order becomes TextEditor, printer application, Firefox, the rest. It should be TextEditor, Firefox, printer app. That is, Hide Others reorders the applications being hidden (for no reason I can think of). Calling Hide Others to hide more than two applications reorders them in an even worse way, I can't figure it out but it is worse than just a single swap or a cyclic permutation. I had found this really confusing, thinking that Apple must be using some odd interface logic, but now I think it must just be a bug.

I looked into this a year or so ago, and the only reason i can think of is that when you call "Hide Others" it invisibly shows everything and then hides everything again. This is quite likely to put applications out of order as you could guess. Note that when you do it its not always the same order, which seems to support that hypothesis.

As for the fan, that does seem quite weird. I have a PB 12" RevA which is probably the hottest and noisiest of the lot and i find that the fan rarely spins up, and when it does i can only just hear it.

As for the Finder issues copying from Windows, I have had similar issues in the past. The only thing i can find which would cause it is that Finder is waiting for SMB (windows filesharing) commands and isnt getting them. Quite often my Win2k box will just refuse to send SMB commands to either of my Macs or my Linux boxes. Once this has caused Finder to beachball.

My biggest advice is that if you are familiar with *nix at all is to leave a Console open so that you can terminate the SMB process or Finder if the Windows machine stalls up. For that matter, just leave Console open all the time.
takai
------

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 14, 2005, 02:43 AM

I also don't know how to switch between tabs in Safari -- control-tab doesn't work
command+shift+left/right arrow

when tabbing through the applications, the text should come up under the application on the mini-exposé window that pops up (and unless they changed it in tiger, after you command+tab to start switching apps, isn't it command+~ to go back)?
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2005, 03:02 AM

Your review sucks. I can't believe you used your ignorance of hotkeys as a negative point, and almost everything else seems contrary to what I've noted. Windows 2k being more "polished" than 10.4? Come on man, everyone in the windows community accepts 2k's fastness as such BECAUSE it's such a boring OS.
Aloha

madking
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2005, 10:48 PM

The only time my finder ever crashed was when I did a "rm -rf /" in the terminal on my iBook a few years ago. My current PowerBook has been running flawlessly since I got it last August. Perhaps you have faulty RAM or some hardware problems? OS X (10.3.9 for me) has been one of the most stable OS I've used so far. If not for the software updates that requires a restart, my uptime can go for months. My computer just goes to sleep when I am not using it.

As for using cmd+tab to switch between apps, it should be very intuitive once you're familiar with the icons, which I feel represents the apps much better than icons in Windows XP. Or you can use Expose to go quickly to the window you want. I also use the dock often for apps switching.

There's plenty of UI for latex on OS X. I use TeXShop occasionally, but I perfer to just use the terminal with X11.
--madking
rev C 12" PowerBook, 80G, 1.25GB, SD, 10.3.9

ideasculptor
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2005, 11:47 PM

Forget the dock. It is worthless to a power user. Personally, I use a shareware app called DragThing which allows me MUCH more control over various 'docks' that I can enable. I can't remember the last time I used my dock. I just made it as small as possible, turned on auto-hide, and stuck it on the left side of the screen. My drag thing docks are on the bottom where I have easy access. I have one dock which shows running apps (and the order never changes). I have another dock with one tab containing icons for running apps and another tab which shows documents I am currently using and has some applescript I use frequently, included some that are just drop targets, so I can drag files onto them and have things happen to them. Finally, on the bottom right, I have another dock in which I store things I cut and paste frequently, since DragThing allows you to store 'copied' text in a dock. I've got some newspaper website passwords and some command line commands that I use frequently for work stored there. I click to open the dock and then right click to copy the content of an entry.

I can't recommend DragThing highly enough. It changed the way I use the computer, and I don't think I spent even $20 on it. Use google to find it.

--sam

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2005, 02:25 AM

I will agree with your review on one point, the screen is lacking in brightness and overall goodness. There are a lot of nice, bright, super crisp LCDs out there and the 12in appear to have gotten the shaft. This is not really a major problem for me, its just a bit annoying at times. Thank goodness I have good eyesight.

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 16, 2005, 02:40 AM

I still use the Dock, but there are plenty of alternatives along with the much-praised DragThing: e.g. Quicksilver (shareware), and Devon's free XMenu, which puts an app launcher in the menu bar, and lots of others. Search the Applications threads.

tie  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2005, 12:16 AM

Here are some second impressions a few weeks later (I also copied these into the first post). It's mostly a list of bugs I've run into, although there are some nuggets hidden there if you care to dig through it (Quicksilver!).

Short summary: OS X is great. I love the interface, and the screen space with dual monitors. Spotlight is fantastic — on Windows I had missed a decent search function (never tried the google desktop search, though). For me, Dashboard is very practical; I use it for conversions, calendar, weather, google maps, dictionary, stickies, and two photo albums for inspiration. Little tips I found in this thread like using the space bar to select a button have made navigation so much easier (but it doesn't work in Photoshop 7!). Another key combo: ctrl-cmd-D looks up the word under the mouse in the dictionary. I have no idea where these come from — couldn't find anything in the Help topics — but they are great to know.

Quicksilver works a treat and has eased navigation a bit. The developer's web site makes it sound like huge bloatware (talking about automating emails and the like — why do I need to automatically send out tons of emails from the Desktop?), but in practice it just works. I also downloaded Witch for app/window switching with text labels, but it was too ugly.

I've basically figured out a photography workflow. I convert RAW files in VirtualPC, then use GraphicConverter to edit IPTC and to finish conversion for my Jalbum website. Occasionally, I use Photoshop 7, but I don't trust that it saves the EXIF properly, so I only use it through GraphicConverter. GraphicConverter is dog slow even at trivial things like making a selection and I have considered using Picasa in VirtualPC, but for now I'll just wait.

About the interface, there are a few little things that I wish Apple would fix, but now know they never will. For example, dragging selected text doesn't work like I think it should. Back with OS 9, for example, I drag-and-dropped all the time. When I switched to Windows, I had to switch to using copy-paste, because drag-and-drop behavior just wasn't consistent. On OS X, drag-and-dropping is much like Windows, and I'm becoming resigned to using copy-paste. Another example: Menus occasionally open then immediately close, instead of staying open. So I have to open them again. Mac (pre OS X) used to have the best menus around, but nowadays little things like this have broken them.

Here come the promised bugs. I feel the software is all buggy, even more than most of the big Windows apps. I'm a bit afraid that we're doomed to buggy software for a while now, especially because of the Intel transition. I have taken to quitting applications when possible to try to keep them "fresh."

The "Open with.." is completely broken. OS X insists on opening my TeX files with Script Editor even though I have several times told it to "Always open" with TeXShop (another very buggy program).

Preview has crashed several times. Finder has crashed: At one point, while scrolling through a window, the Finder blurred all the icons down the window. It didn't freeze and I was able to take a screenshot and close the window. Once, after waking the computer up, the Dock would not appear (I typically have it hidden to the side, but nothing would get it to pull out). I could see the Dock if I went to the Apple menu and turned hiding off, but if I turned hiding back on again nothing would trigger it to show itself. When I tried to restart the Dock wouldn't go away. Apple's force-quit dialog is useless (Microsoft, from long experience I suppose, has a much better force quit dialog), but fortunately I have the Activity Monitor in my Dock (which was still responsive and was visible since I had turned off hiding) so I quit the Dock with that. After restarting, it seemed to work fine again.

I tried Keynote for a presentation last week. I did so because Mac Powerpoint has a worse interface than Windows Powerpoint. Keynote is missing a lot of features (e.g., an arc tool) and its LaTeX interface (via EquationEditor, the only option for what I do since I sometimes need tex->dvi->ps->pdf compiling) is inferior to Powerpoint's. But I decided I'd give it a fair shot anyway, and converted over a presentation I was working on. After Keynote crashed and I lost 30 minutes of work, I'll never use it again. Keynote doesn't do automatic incremental saves, and is quite slow at saving files (the same presentation, maybe 30MB, Powerpoint saves in ~5 seconds, and Keynote in ~45 seconds), so there is no practical way to protect my work. I've opened up both NeoOffice and OpenOffice, but they were too ugly to contemplate using. Maybe I'll give them a fairer shot next time.

Mail just crashed and I almost lost an email. Fortunately, I'm relearning the old habits of saving all the time, and I'd saved a draft. It crashed because I lost the wireless connection while I was sending the email, because the wireless connectivity stinks. </rant> (I haven't made any controlled tests on wireless connectivity, but it sure hasn't amazed me.)

Safari is buggy. For example, a few days ago it couldn't be hidden. Hide Safari didn't work, Hide others from another app didn't work. Restarting Safari fixed it. Perhaps this is a window manager bug.

I had a similar problem actually with X11. All of a sudden the windows all maximized (even though their hidden icons were still there), and I had to minimize them back one by one. X11 on a Mac laptop, by the way, is awesome.

The problem with disappearing lines of text seems to be limited to TeXShop.
Sleep is fairly nice. I wouldn't mind if it went to sleep faster, also if it gave some feedback that it was putting itself to sleep, but it wakes up quite quickly.

Fan just came on. I guess I'm typing too fast.

I'd like to upgrade to Photoshop CS 2 (still on 7), but I'm worried about this whole Intel switch thing. I'd like my software to last.. But I'll have to give in eventually, since converting 12 megapixel RAW files in VirtualPC, even with batches, is a lesson in patience, and I'm going on vacation soon (lots of photos!). This whole Intel switch caught me by surprise.
( Last edited by tie; Jun 28, 2005 at 12:29 AM. )

threestain
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2005, 05:37 AM

I'm glad your impressions of your mac have changed so dramatically in the last two weeks - your first post was very derogatory about it, but now you have become accustomed to the difference in OSes, its a much more balanced and fair review. Sure OSX isn't perfect (especially Safari 1.3 - damn crashing with all my carefully found windows open), but at least now you've seen that some aspects of it are actually quite good.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2005, 07:05 AM

He's got a point on screen resolution.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 28, 2005, 09:38 AM

I still think you have a hardware and/or software incompatibility problem on your machine. For example, I've been using Preview, Acrobat, and Acrobat Reader to read and edit various Pdfs, and I have to say that I have not experienced the crashes you have in any of these apps (and I read a lot of scientific papers as pdfs.) The only issue I have with Preview is that for some pdfs that read fine in acrobat reader, preview gives me junk. The app stills runs, however.

CincyGamer
Jun 28, 2005, 12:46 PM

Is there an automatic setting for power on the 12" PB in Tiger? You seem more concerned with the fan noise than CPU slowness. Why do you even need to use LaTex?
I used to use that in grad school and with Word nowdays you dont need it. I wrote my engineering thesis in Word and it was fine. That was in 2000 when Latex was more popular in academia as Unix was more widespread. Now Dell has taken over Sun sparc machines. If you need to view lots of ps files, then you should dump your postscript files to a folder and run a automator script via new Tiger feature Automator.. do the ps2pdf

I am thinking that it would have been better for you to buy a 14" iBook as it is lighter and sounds like you want a larger screen. Maybe you could try Corel Photo for your file conversion needs. We are using that here at work in production.

I have a slower 1 GHZ 15" PB and have never seen any crashes in Tiger even running the unreleased 10.4.2 builds etc.. (I'm a ADC developer) You need to your Tiger disc in and reboot, hold down 'c' while rebooting and from the menu run the disk utility to repair permissions and check your disc.

run these commands in terminal to clean your cache out.. That might help with some of your problems regarding crashing..

sudo periodic weekly
sudo periodic daily
sudo periodic monthly

Let me know if you want to trade laptops..

cambro
Senior User
Jun 28, 2005, 02:14 PM

Can I ask why you use Finder Copy (which seems to be a major source of your complaints)?

Are you duplicating a file? Why not Command-D and avoid the paste step?

Are you duplicating a file and then moving it to a new location? If so, why bother navigating to the spot and then pasting? Use spring-loaded folders.

Are you adding a file to an email? Drag and drop is oh-so-easy and faster. You can even drag files into Expose.

I honestly can't see why you'd ever want to Finder copy (I even forgot it existed), but then I guess it still should work properly if it is there.

Also, your system should be stable. You say you've had 1-2 OS crashes in a few weeks. That is simply NOT NORMAL. You have a hardware issue, serious install problem and/or hack.

P.S......

KEYNOTE. I forgot about that.

Something is VERY WRONG with your system if Keynote takes 45 seconds to save a 60 MB file. I have dozens of Keynote presentations over 75 MB and containing 70+ slides, with high-res pics, movies, the whole bit.

I just opened a 77.3 MB file...took about 12 seconds on a "cold" start (first time Keynote has been launched for weeks), with 8 other Apps running, on a lowly 1 Ghz TiBook 1Gig RAM 4200 RPM HD.

I modified the file and saved it...took maybe 2 or 3 seconds to save.

When I make presentations, command-s saves the file and I do it all the time as I modify the presentation...saves are always virtually instantaneous and better than "automatic" saves since mine are sure to caputre the relevant changes.

Personally, I find Keynote to be vastly superior to any version of Powerpoint I've ever seen, not only in display quality of text/images (the rendering is just much better than Windows/Mac PPT), but in preparation ease, export to PDF etc.
( Last edited by cambro; Jun 28, 2005 at 02:57 PM. )

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2005, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by CincyGamer
Is there an automatic setting for power on the 12" PB in Tiger? You seem more concerned with the fan noise than CPU slowness. Why do you even need to use LaTex?
I used to use that in grad school and with Word nowdays you dont need it. I wrote my engineering thesis in Word and it was fine.
It pisses me off when people assume that everybody is prepared to either spend $450 on software they need maybe 15% of of the functionality from (once you figure in Excel, Powerpoint, and Entourage) or become a criminal.

And as for "Word nowadays": The last really *good* version of Microsoft Word was 5.1. And that was in, what, 1992?

It was on the border of trying to do too much and not doing any of it really well. Word 6 was an atrocity, and every subsequent version has suffered from feature bloat that made even the things it historically did very well far less effective due to the overall slothfulness of the application. And even Word 5.1 had a bunch of annoying "non-standard" implementations and UI hiccups.

btw, some interesting background on why Word 6.0 was such shite (though it seems to me that the developer whose blog that is *still* doesn't really get why everybody hated it)

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2005, 04:34 PM

My first experiences with OS X weren't the best (these were back in the 10.0 days). It is very different from even OS 9, so I can only guess what it feels like coming from the Windows world.

I've always been a Mac users and recently started a job where I use a Windows/Dell configuration. It's a nightmare.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2005, 04:43 PM

It pisses me off when people assume that everybody is prepared to either spend $450 on software they need maybe 15% of of the functionality from (once you figure in Excel, Powerpoint, and Entourage) or become a criminal.

And as for "Word nowadays": The last really *good* version of Microsoft Word was 5.1. And that was in, what, 1992?

It was on the border of trying to do too much and not doing any of it really well. Word 6 was an atrocity, and every subsequent version has suffered from feature bloat that made even the things it historically did very well far less effective due to the overall slothfulness of the application. And even Word 5.1 had a bunch of annoying "non-standard" implementations and UI hiccups.

btw, some interesting background on why Word 6.0 was such shite (though it seems to me that the developer whose blog that is *still* doesn't really get why everybody hated it)
If you only need Word, buy Word. It's $239 new and 1/2 that for the upgrade. If you don't need word, don't buy it. The current version of Word works very well on my Mac. It's a little slow at times, but it works without any issues [sure I have a crash from time to time, but no more than most programs].

I think Word is great. I use some of those things that you may never use [track changes, notes, etc. etc.] What isn't valuable to you may be the make it or break it item for me.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2005, 05:31 PM

Right on.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2005, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh
If you only need Word, buy Word. It's $239 new and 1/2 that for the upgrade. If you don't need word, don't buy it. The current version of Word works very well on my Mac. It's a little slow at times, but it works without any issues [sure I have a crash from time to time, but no more than most programs].

I think Word is great. I use some of those things that you may never use [track changes, notes, etc. etc.] What isn't valuable to you may be the make it or break it item for me.
You may note that I was responding to the suggestion to use Word instead of LaTeX.

$240 may be peanuts to you.

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2005, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh
My first experiences with OS X weren't the best (these were back in the 10.0 days). It is very different from even OS 9, so I can only guess what it feels like coming from the Windows world.

I've always been a Mac users and recently started a job where I use a Windows/Dell configuration. It's a nightmare.
you poor soul. . .not that i am one to speak as I have to use windows/hp/compaq at work and have to work with troubleshooting windows when it doesn't work/play well with the product i support.

good luck on getting used to the 'doze/dell config!

but it does help you remember why you use a mac. i grew up using a mac at home and windows at school from HS on (had apple or mac prior to that). i can use both, but the mac just makes sense and i can find what i want when i need it. it just works.
( Last edited by zanyterp; Jun 29, 2005 at 03:20 AM. Reason: forgot something)
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

wizz0bang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2005, 03:28 PM

I have to second much of the original posters opinions of the 12" PB and OSX. I also must give him a little bit of support here. Though, I don't agree with everything said.

I bought my 12" rev D in February, just after the line was refreshed (1.5GHz/512MB/Superdrive)... I went from a 1.6GHz P4 running Windows XP to my new Mac. I've been plagued by the loud fan, noisy HD and low quality screen (REALLY noticable next to even a cheap Dell laptop). The biggest problem is the dim screen with a very narrow viewing angle. Try having a friend watch a DVD with you sometime... impossible. Only one person can get their head "just right" to see the image with accurate colors and even brightness (and then only at night!).

I have encountered seveal annoying bugs in OSX... It isn't nearly as stable as my old XP system (my opinion)... I've had two major system lock ups... one incident of the keyboard being remapped to garbage and nonsense (freaked me out!). The finder has crashed several times and I've had to force quit just about every application I use regularly at least once... some things like quick time and my video player (VLC) require force quits several times a week. Don't even get me started about the beach ball. What am I doing you ask? Downloading and watching a lot of divX files of TV shows. Windows never gave me any problems playing even the lattest compression formats or very large files. But it seems OSX is behind in video playback of various codecs; there are many files I download that simply aren't playable on the Mac (yes, I have DivX, DivX doctor II, Mplayer OSX, Windows Media player, VLC, etc...). Also, the files take MUCH longer to open on my Mac than a corresponding file on my PC.. this is true of all media, types from .mp3s to photos to videos. Granted, with iTunes, the .mp3 opening time is moot once you have the file imported into the library. Also, not having good .ogg support really pissed me off initially. All media files openend nearly instentaneously on my PC... I got used to it. Now with the Mac, I must learn patience.

Applications take eons to load compared to what I was used to on XP. I don't know if it's the Intel App accelerator, Windows XP's precaching routines or what... but Opera, and Internet Explorer just launced like lightning... we're talking a small fraction of a second. Opera takes eight to ten seconds to load on OSX. Safari has come a long way with the update to Tiger, a vast improvement in both usability and robustness (less crashing).

When opening Office documents on a PC, from a cold start with no prior use of Office, if I click on an Excel or Word file, it's open before I can say "Bill"... but on my Mac, with Office 2004, I have time to say "Bill Gates is an f***ing moron, why the heck do I have to sit here and wait all day for this..." and then it popps up. Even the smallest spreadsheet. So I get to curse at Bill more, which is an unexpected bonus to owning a Mac (I thought that routine was over when I switched).

I don't like some of the window management in OSX, the maximize window bevavior is not what I like. I find myself constantly resizing windows manually, even after resizing, not getting it right (especially when I go to click on the right scroll bar of an app and annoyingly the window behind it pops up). There should be a way to make the app exactly fill the screen... The task switching is problematic. I love the feel of expose, but it's minimally productive with many open windows (more than ten) due to the limits of the screen and the fact that it doesn't consistently place applications... each time I use it, I must hunt for the window I was looking for... and if there are multiple instances of spreadsheets that look similar, it can be confusing. So I use the "Window" file menu often.

MS Office 2004 on OSX is SLOW AS SNOT compared to Office XP. My god, it takes ten plus seconds to do a cut or copy and paste operation in some instances -- of half a line of text! I know the hardware isn't THAT slow... come on guys.

I had many problems copying my files over to the Mac from the XP box using a firewire drive. I have a lot of French language files with accent marks in them... many times I'd get beach-balled, or have the copy operation halted at an unknown place in the job. If windows has a problem with a large batch copy, it gives you useful options and lets you know exactly which file had the problem. To clarify, this isn't copy and paste... this is moving (drag-and-drop) a large directory from an external drive to the Mac HD using the finder. It was a nightmare. I even tried using the terminal with mv and had problems. (this was on 10.3.7). I did a few hours searching tech forums and couldn't find similar problems... I assumed OSX had better file name suppor than XP, but I guess not. My solution was to burn about 8GB of the PC's directory structure that contained the long filenames with accent marks to DVDs, for some reason the finder then copied them correctly. I forgot the details of the situation because it was in February and I was impatient to use my Mac for a road trip at the time. But it really soured me to my initial use of OSX (at least on my own personal machine - I've used Macs since the Mac II at work/school). It could have been the NTFS partition on the drive and the translation to OSX's filesystem that caused the agrivating problem.

Further my opinion is that the 1.5GHz G4 is no match for my three year old 1.6Ghz desktop PC. But OSX isn't nearly as responsive as Windows XP (ie, the snappy), so it may not really be the hardware... but Tiger was a good step in the right direction; a noticable improvement. Unfortunately, with Tiger, my fan seems to come on even more often... with only Safari running too! I like to leave BitTorrent running all night (and just BitTorrent, not a widget more)... and the fan is too annoying to have in my room with me. My old desktop PC was silent (I installed large Zalman heatsinks on the CPU, chipset and video card with only one large, low rpm fan for the whole system), but this Mac laptop is really loud.

Unlike the Original Poster above, I wouldn't consider switching back. I wish the 12" PB had a better video card (cooler), faster CPU, longer battery life and most importantly a better screen (the size is fine)... oh and a little thinner and lighter. I think with the switch to Intel and a little aggresiveness on Apple's part, we will see those things soon. At least compete with Sony Vaio. The GPU and CPU in the current Powerbooks are temperature elevating power hogs.

I like OSX overall... even though I think M$ is way ahead in a few key areas, probably just due to their large tech-savvy user base constantly tweaking support for various things. I do like the concept of Expose, and when I find myself on a PC, I wish it were there. Spotlight is wonderful. The Dashboard is a neat concept. I will stick with Apple for quite awhile and look forward to comming innovation. But I don't think it's a magic solution "years ahead of Windows" (maybe in some areas). For the most part it works well and looks a lot cleaner. I've been a UNIX user since the 80's and what sold me was installing X11 and running shell scripts. I dual booted Linux on my PC, but now with the Mac, I feel I don't need two OSes.

Not having to scan my system for virii and constantly remove spyware is a wonderful bonus. On that alone, I would reccommend a Mac to any of my non-gamer friends and relatives over a PC.

Mac pluses:
Expose, dashboard, spotlight
No virus scourges, no spyware (yet!)
Intelligently designed and well thought out interface
Clean, crisp interface (appearance)
iLife (especially iTunes and iMovie, very nice apps)
The PB keyboard is the best I've used on a laptop (kudos!)
I love the hinge style and speaker placement
The speakers are actually usable... though I keep my Grado's near by when I'm traveling Nice sound for a laptop!
The PB sleeps and wakes up better/faster than any other laptop I've used!

Mac minuses:
MS Office 2004 sucks compared to Office Windows
Buggy OS (maybe less so than windows for most, but not for me)
Hardware is a ways behind the PeeCee word (couple of years from my point of view)
The Snappy... come on, use a PC, you will see. They are VERY responsive to the user... making me always impatient at my Mac
my PC felt like drive a Porsche, while the Mac feels like driving a Greyhound bus! (okay, maybe not that bad)

If anyone has suggestions on how to improve my Mac experience, let me know. Don't get me wrong, I don't "hate" my Mac... I actually love the thing, and if you stole it, I'd have to kill you. I've never had an emotional attachment to any of my PCs before (well, maybe to my original 8086 and my 486). So Apple is doing something right. But I do reserve the right to be ciritcal. I am even more critical of Windows, believe it or not... even though I think XP is very stable and robust (with a few dozen caveats .

Right now I'm waiting for a 1GB SODIMM (Patriot, known Mac friendly)... and I plan to buy an external firewire drive, as I've filled up my 80gb HD and have a stack of DVDs in addition. When I do that, I'll format and install 10.4.1 (hopefully .2 by then)... this could solve some of my problems... as I'm still using the factory install of 10.3.7... updated to 10.3.8... then to Tiger. Something I'd NEVER do on a PC and would expect problems with (factory installs). But I was too impatient to do a clean install and started using my Mac on day one... everything is backed up on DVD, but I really don't want to go through a reinstall at the moment.

Thanks for the read... please don't flame... but you can criticise my usage habits and give feedback/tips/pointers all you like. I very well admit, perhaps I'm too used to the "Windows way" of doing things (like the OriginalPoster) and haven't fully delved into Apple's concepts.
Rev.D 12" PowerBook w/1.25GB RAM!!

cambro
Senior User
Jun 29, 2005, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by wizz0bang
But it seems OSX is behind in video playback of various codecs; there are many files I download that simply aren't playable on the Mac (yes, I have DivX, DivX doctor II, Mplayer OSX, Windows Media player, VLC, etc...).
If you can't play it on Quicktime, RealPlayer, Windows Media Player or Mplayer, what the heck kinda codec is it??? Whoever used it to encode content in the first place is either clinging to ancient things they love, purposefully trying to limit distribution, or is just plain clueless about what they are doing.

But OSX isn't nearly as responsive as Windows XP (ie, the snappy), so it may not really be the hardware... but Tiger was a good step in the right direction; a noticable improvement.
Um, don't forget that Windows has NONE of the graphics sophistication that Mac OS X has.

Everything you see on your mac is composited using the PDF model. Just look at how things are rendered on your mac in comparison to your PC...menus, textures, etc.

The LACK of this sophistication on your PC is what makes it seem fast. It's not doing anything! It's like trying to measure your speed by the tachometer! Sure widows revs along...but it's still in 2nd gear!

With Longhorn MS is going to attempt to bring Windows up to the level of the mac and I can PROMISE you that your Windows machine will run much, much, much slower once this happens.

You could argue that Apple shouldn't try to make a sophisticated OS, but that's pretty silly. OS X is still very much a forward-looking OS. Apple is building software for the future and the hardware will continue to rise to the performance challenges that come with this strategy. This was no small part of the shift to Intel.

I like OSX overall... even though I think M$ is way ahead in a few key areas,
Such as? I honestly can't think of any once you take the above into consideration.

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2005, 06:53 PM

This guy is about as smart as Paul Thurrott. He probably thinks because he could get a celeron with "more giga hurts" the mac stuff is eons behind in hardware terms.

Why are you blaming apple for MS' apps sucking on the mac platform anyway?
Aloha

sevendhappy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2005, 07:14 PM

I recently bought a 12" Pb. It does everything I expect of it since it's not one of the higher end 15" or 17" Pb's. From reading the first part of your review:

Originally Posted by tie

It didn't seem very competitive to PC offerings out there. Pricewise, it was quite cheap, but price wasn't a factor for me. I really wish Apple would come out with lighter, faster laptops, like e.g. the Fujitsu 7000 (14" screen, 3.8 pounds), the IBM T43 (14" screen, 4.5 pounds), or the Sony Vaio 380 (13" widescreen, 4.7 pounds). All these computers I was considering came with build-in DVD writers. The Mac G4 12" was the heaviest, and yet also had the smallest screen, and also the lowest resolution screen (the IBM and Fujitsu are both 1400x1000, the Sony 1300x800, the Mac 1000x800). In terms of performance, the most noticeable stat is the bus speed. PCs are running at 533 MHz, the Mac at 167 MHz. The Mac was however cheaper than the PC alternatives, but again price wasn't an issue.
It sounds like you were already expecting a let down with your puchase. You mention the superiority of a current line of PC laptops, while at the same time briefly noting the shortcomings of the Pb compared to the PC laptops. If you already think the Pb hardware is inferior to the offerings of PC laptops, how is an OS running this "inferior" hardware gonna make up for anything? I don't understand why you'd buy something you youself called "not very competitive to PC offerings." If price wasn't a factor like you stated, why didn't you shell out for the better equipment in your eyes? I've never seen anyone buy something they didn't consider good to begin with. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Just my .02

jokarak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2005, 07:45 PM

I don't think I can agree w/ everything wizzbang has said, but I must defend XP's stability compared to OS X. I use XP every day at work on two different computers, manipulating large databases and lots of printing, etc., and I have been impressed as to how stable it is. OS X (running Tiger and Panther), on the other hand, dishes out mytifying beachballs and random application freezes quite often.

But XP is not really as fast as OS X. If you have lots of files in a given directory, XP will take FOREVER to refresh the window, etc., whereas OS X seems to handle that better. I suppose each OS has its strengths in terms of speed, but OS X feel "snappier" to me. After decades using PCs (pre-windows on), I must say that I'm quite happy with OS X.

Cambro said

If you can't play it on Quicktime, RealPlayer, Windows Media Player or Mplayer, what the heck kinda codec is it??? Whoever used it to encode content in the first place is either clinging to ancient things they love, purposefully trying to limit distribution, or is just plain clueless about what they are doing.
I think your defense of OS X by making such remarks is not constructive. There are different codecs out there, and it is the user's prerrogative to try to have proper support for his preferred codecs..."think different", remember? I thought the whole of point of OS X was to provide an alternative plataform to do things. Unfortunately, due to Windows's much larger installed base, you end up finding more variety in problem-solving there than in OS X.

Um, don't forget that Windows has NONE of the graphics sophistication that Mac OS X has.
Well, I guess that is one way to defend OS X, but if the end result in terms of user experience, which mac prizes so much, is that OS X feels slower than XP, then the goal has failed. Just having better technology doesn't make a good argument (such as "don't stab me w/ your prehistoric spear while I recharge my atomic death-ray"). Again, I don't really agree that XP is necessarily faster than OS X, but if wizzbang's experience is as such (and I take it at his word that what he is describing is true), then he has grounds to complain. Again, I think it is due to OS X's more advanced graphics engine on the OS side that we have such incredible things as expose and the way the widgets appear and disappear, but then again, you lose some of the "oooh, wow" effect when after the widgets magically appear in your screen via a cool fade effect, they hang there for seconds waiting to refresh data (even the darned clocks!). If there are knowledgeable OS X users out there that have recommendations to address wizzbang's and tie's experiences, I'm sure we would all appreciate it.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and I hardly believe that any product can be perfect, and perfectly satisfy every customer. I'm sure that there are things that every mac, windows, linux, whatever user absolutely loves about their OS, but that there are also lots of stuff they can't stand. If on the balance, you like more things than you hate, and the things you dislike don't kill useability, then you stick w/ it. I find OS X a much better designed product than XP.

One last thing, I must echo Link's question, in that performance of MS products on the mac are not necessarily the best measurement tool for XP-to-OS X comparos. MS does have a huge vested interest in the success of Windows, so MS will spend considerable effort to optimize Office to run as well as possible under Windows. MS engineers might not have the same incentive when it comes to the OS X version.

ibook_steve
Jun 29, 2005, 08:40 PM

Oh my G_d! I have never seen such a thread in my life. I usually like to sit back and read these things, but this is ridiculous. Bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch. I've never seen so much complaining. To the original poster, wizzbang, and others complaining about OS X stability: the problems you describe are not normal or typical. There is either something wrong with your hardware or your OS and apps installations. And there is no indication that you have gone through any of the standard troubleshooting that has been discussed many times here (set up test user account, reset PRAM, reset PMU, start up in single user mode, etc.). As for apps, especially Microsoft apps taking 2 seconds longer to open on the Mac than on the PC, is this really the end of the world? As for anybody who has complained and has only 512 MB in their machine, go to http://www.dealram.com, max out your machine, and then come back to the forum. We'll wait for you. RAM requirements are only going to get bigger in the future so no more complaining about running with anything <= 512 MB. I'm sorry. I just can't sit back anymore!

Steve

wizz0bang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2005, 01:48 AM

ibook_steve: my 1GB SODIMM is on the way hopefully as of tomorrow, I'll be at 1.25GB... if this reduces page outs and general HD access, perhaps it will help some of my speed issues.

As to the other comments. Please don't be hostile. I'm half defending the original poster, half venting my frustrations about OS X/Apple. Just because you don't agree with some of the things I've said, doesn't mean we should be antagonistic.

I agree that OSX has more advanced GUI driving technology (than XP). I also think one of the areas MS is ahead of the game is with their driver support model... perhaps it's unfrair to credit MS, but rather the enormous army of developers and hardware vendors who invest HUGE resources into optimising, for instance, Nvidia graphics drivers, Intel chipset drivers, etc... all of these things make a huge performance difference.

For those of you who think my gripes about the G4 vs Intel cpus are just due to my lack of knowledge and belief in the marketing hype and MHz myth... think again... go visit anandtech.com and do some reading... intel has the PowerPC licked, IMHO. Look at the performance/power/future scalibility of just the Pentium M (ignore the celerons, everyone I know does). Heck, even Steve Jobs finally realized this. Don't get me wrong, the Power architecture is BETTER, hands down, in terms of it's overall design... as someone who has done a fair amount of x86 assembly can attest to. But Intel has the Mojo and the desire to improve and innovate, whereas IBM seems to conentrate it's efforts in non-desktop areas of interest.

I'm having a lot of fun learning about OS X... I love having darwiin under the hood. I like a lot. But there is a lot that needs to be improved.

As to the video codecs.. if I could open the darn file, I'd tell you the codec ... suffice it to say that people who encode and save .avi files for distribution via bittorrent/gnutella/limewire use the latest and greatest.... I think OSX, due to it's limited user base, is always a few months behind in this area. There are many codecs... and you can easily download packages that cover them all for Windows XP. Apparantely I can't get up to date ones for the Mac (or I jsut don't know how --- if you can educate me, please you will earn my respect).

I know about repairing permissions and some of the other things mentioned. I haven't tried every single one, but I will; thank you for the advice. As I said, one pice of advice I should take is a clean install. Some day I'll get round to it... oh and the first thing I did to my PowerBook after playing around, was to boot with the Apple DVD and run the diagnostics. All passed. My ram is OK. The only problems I belive I've experienced that aren't referred to on other forums are: the weird keyboard remapping prblem (maybe due to overheating???) and the strange long file name with accent marks not copying problem. But it seems to me, many of my gripes are echoed by others. Perhaps I have a defective machine. Or perhaps those of you who do not experience these issues simply do things the Apple way, never stress your system to the point where they would arise or simply don't pay attention. There are a whole litany of MS bugs I could go into... windows users LOVE pointing them out... if you go to TechNet on MS's site you can read all about them. Other than developers, OS X users tend to stick their fingers in their ears and hum real loud rather than accept the possibility of a problem with their holy grail. Sorry fo that criticism, but I call 'em as I see 'em.

Keep up the good work Apple! You make great products and I look forward to every improvement.

durian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2005, 03:31 PM

Thanks for the honest review. I've been using macs since the mac plus and my last mac was the PB G3 (Lombard). To my surpirse, I ended up buying a Fujitsu 5010D in 2003 when I was shopping around for something light and portable that I could take for travel/business. I really wanted to get the PB 12" at the time but the Fujitsu was almost 1lb lighter (3.5lbs vs 4.4lbs), had a smaller screen but higher resolution (10.9" 1280x768 vs 12" 1024x768), longer battery life (12 hrs with dual battery in place of DVD drive vs 5 hrs), smaller physical size for airplanes, and excellent durability/build quality (made in japan vs taiwan and the dealer I bought from had a zero dead pixel policy.) And from your review, the Fujitsu is a lot quieter also. I can't hear that it's operating and the fan rarely comes on.

Although I have been extremely happy with my Fujitsu I'm still a huge Apple fan at heart. My Fujitsu is 2.5 years old now and I've been recently browsing around for an upgrade -- something full featured AND ultraportable. Been looking at the powerbook line but I'm still disappointed by Apple's offerings.

I'm glad Apple's switching over to Intel hardware and taking advantage of their tech advances in laptops because, for mobile professionals, it's tough for a PB 12" to compete with something like the Panasonic W4 -- 12" lcd, 2.7 lbs, 8 hr battery and a built-in dvd burner. Hopefully Apple will have something similar next year hardware wise running OS X.

itguy05
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2005, 04:46 PM

As to the video codecs.. if I could open the darn file, I'd tell you the codec ... suffice it to say that people who encode and save .avi files for distribution via bittorrent/gnutella/limewire use the latest and greatest....
Cough, VLC, cough, www.vodeolan.org, cough. Works for me with those files!

tie  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2005, 11:56 AM

I needed to use Finder Copy originally to copy files from an older Mac (using Appletalk). I still use it to copy files to/from my digital camera, USB flash device, etc. But now I know only to copy one group of items at a time, and am not having any problems any more. I think maybe you misunderstand what I mean by copy — it's just dragging from one volume to another, or dragging with command or one of those keys pressed.

Since your experience with Keynote is so different, I opened it up again, and it indeed saved very quickly. It isn't the exact same presentation as before, since I've changed things around a lot; I'm not sure what was going on. I had really wanted Keynote to work, since I agree the rendering is very nice. Powerpoint can also export to pdf by printing to a file, but I agree also that Keynote does it better.

Thanks for the tip, CincyGamer on sudo periodic maintenance. Don't get me started on LaTeX versus Word — in any case, nearly everybody in my community uses LaTeX and so do I. I'd be a fool to lock up my work in a proprietary format that even Microsoft can't always open correctly.

Fujitsu computers are very difficult to get in the US. I ordered from PortableOne and contacted Fujitsu directly, but both orders were going to take several weeks, so I cancelled them.

To everyone saying my experiences aren't representative or are caused by hardware faults, I think I disagree. The physical aspects of the computer are indisputable. The screen is quite poor, the computer is heavy, it doesn't have video out (requiring a dongle), etc. The software problems mostly seem like bugs and poor coding. Not all can be blamed on Apple (although Apple's constant transitions, including this next one to Intel, can't help). And some are just as bad on Windows -- Photoshop stability isn't perfect on either platform, and I have seen the Windows Finder equivalent crash. But for example, icon placement has been broken since X pb and is still not entirely working. For example, I try to set .tex files to be opened by anything but Script Editor and X automatically switches them back to Script Editor. I'm sure there are similar bugs in Windows, but I haven't encountered them in my work. The Airport menu is ridiculously inaccurate and unresponsive, comparable to Windows XP before the service packs. Resetting the PRAM isn't going to change this.

Anyway, I love working on OS X. The computer is usually fast enough, only slow for editing my digital camera images (Photoshop is fast, GraphicConverter is slow, I really miss Picasa).

itguy05
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2005, 12:15 PM

I still think you have either an OS or a hardware issue. I have the 15" PB and the thing just runs and runs and runs. Bought it the day Tiger came out and it's been running perfect ever since. Uptime of 35 days that was shattered when I did updates.

I leave Mail, Word, Enterouge, PSE 3.0, Safari, FireFox, and a bunch others open all the time and they go for weeks without crashing or quitting. I can't remember the last time the Finder died. It's supposed to be this way.

I'd try a fresh install of the OS and see if that helps. Or have the machine checked by Apple. This is not how a Mac should behave!

wizz0bang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2005, 02:24 AM

Hi everyone!

Just a followup... Thanks for sticking with this thread to those who can't stand our bitching

I've been running 1.25GB ram for over a week now. Before I installed, I ran the complete set of diagnostics found on the Mac install DVD. Then I installed my new 1GB SODIMM and ran them twice. No problems found. I could loop it overnight to be sure... but I'm always downloading stuff. So I doubt any of my experiences are due to faulty hardware.

Ok, the 1GB upgrade was nice... but not nearly as good as I had hoped. It helps when many apps are open, but only to a certain point. For most things, I notice no improvement whatsoever. For instance, after booting this morning, doing normal morning stuff, going to work, then coming home and doing normal evening stuff (ie web browsing, e-mail, MS Office, BitTorrent, Cabos, VLC, Quicktime)... Activity monitor reports that only 14MB of my 1280MB are free, but 803MB is "inactive" There are currently 46730/3364 Page Ins/Outs. My fan is spinning like a jet engine and the biggest CPU hog is Safari at 16%. I'm running iTunes, two widgets in Dashboard, one instance each of Cabos and BitTorrent (downloading one file each), Temperature monitor, Activity monitor and that's it! Running 54.8C on the graphics chip, 53.0C on the proc.

In the last week I've only had video related Force-Quit issues with QuickTime, VLC and Mplayer OSX; nothing else has crashed (yet). I did experience a wierd glich when trying to run software update, the menubar text overwrote the Finder menu text from the apple icon all the way over... it was real ugly. When I swiched away from Software Update, the GUI refreshed that part of the screen and cleaned it up. I hope not to see that again.

I tried to install Homeworld 2... it ran like snot running down a mirror and sent my graphics temp up to 69C in a hurry. Yikes! This is an old game that runs good on a 1GHz Pentium (though probably with a better video card than the Go5200). Dissapointing... but I was mainly curious and didn't expect much. I'll have to go dig my PC out of storage if I want to do anymore gaming.

Oh, and to the comment about me not bothering anyone about my slow Mac experiences until I've maxed out the RAM. If you are reviewing a 12" PowerBook, why not review the stock config from Apple?

As to MS Office 2004 being an unfair comparison of the Mac and PC... Office is a staple application... it really defines what many (not all) people want to do on their computer. If you simply write it off, you are telling users "don't buy a Mac to run Office," which I think is silly. Therefore, I think it is quite valid and pertinant to compare Office on the Mac and PC. PC wins hands down. This may not be a fair representation of the Mac's capabilities, but it is as real world as you can get.

Some positives I forgot to mention. Most of my PC friends yawn when I show them my PowerBook and OSX. However, one thing that runs very well on OSX and gets "wow" responses from the PC crowd is iMovie. It is very easy to use, well thought out and responsive; it applies transitions and effects extremely quickly. iMovie hands down blows away anything on Windows in the same price catagory. I was using ULead on the PC and love iMovie... if I had to go back to video editing (home videos from a miniDV, nothing fancy) on my PC, I'd REALLY miss iMovie.

Like I said, I like OSX and recommend Macs to most people now... but I will continute to complain and be realistic. I miss my PC for a lot of reasons... but the only two I can think of that make me want to setup my old machine are: MythTV on Linux and video games on XP. I also would like to hack into my neighbors WiFi just for kicks... (128wep)... KisMac can do it, but unfortunately Apple's Airport Extreme cards won't work with it in passive mode (necessary to sniff packets) :0 Wish I still had my Linux setup Muhahaha.... So I guess that's three reasons.

Take care and keep an open mind. I love my Mac and enjoy reading the posts on this forum. Please don't hate (or flame) me for my opinions.

Forum Links
Forum Rules