Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple Retail Cherry Creek Denver Job Discrimination

Apple Retail Cherry Creek Denver Job Discrimination (Page 2)
The Mick
Senior User
Nov 18, 2005, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rev-O
Sorry, but my daughter loves the giant breakfast food playground at the Cherry Creek Mall too much, and the only time she gets to go there when we stop by the Apple store. No boycott. Send a letter to the Aspen Grove Store requesting a similarly cool playground, and I will go to that store with more frequency.
ROFL! You + Me = Same boat

I'm not going to call an ambulance this time because then you won't learn anything.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2005, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
George Bush hates midgets.
Clinton thought they were the perfect height.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2005, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl
Clinton thought they were the perfect height.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2005, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by effgee
How does Rob fit in that scheme, then?

Hmmm... well, you don't have to be gay to be a drama queen.

at any rate, his problem isn't that he's bitchy, it's that he won't go away when he's not welcome. You'd think that being banned 100 times would get the msg across.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2005, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
George Bush hates midgets.
George Bush is Randy Newman?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 18, 2005, 01:44 PM

When they opened the Apple store nearest me, the manager was an obviously gay man. I don't think there's any such discrimination going on, and Apple has a very explicit diversity policy that expressly includes sexual orientation.

tooki

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2005, 02:56 PM

Exactly. Apple is one of the few large corporations to offer benefits to same-sex couples.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Nov 18, 2005, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by MacNStein
Hmmm... well, you don't have to be gay to be a drama queen. ...
True that. Because if that were the case, ≥99.9% of us lounge-dwellers would have to be gay - very, very gay.

Originally Posted by MacNStein
... at any rate, his problem isn't that he's bitchy, it's that he won't go away when he's not welcome. You'd think that being banned 100 times would get the msg across.
Don't loose hope just yet - some folks just need a bit more time than others until things penetrate their skull.

Gee-Man
Senior User
Nov 18, 2005, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Interesting (YMMV) sort of related story. A while back I knew a guy who owned a pretty major company around here. He put an ad out for a secretary. About 100 white girls and two black girls applied. After all the interviews he hired one of the black girls on the grounds that she was best for the job. First couple of weeks went OK. Then she started slacking off and doing her nails, phoning friends (etc.) when she should have been working.
So he fired her.
She then took him to industrial tribunal for unfair dismissal on the grounds of racism (despite the fact that he chose to employ her, a black girl, rather than any of the 100 white girls who applied for the job). She won and he got hit with something like a $10,000 fine.
Once bitten, twice shy - so it was a long, long time until he hired anyone else in a minority group.
That is an awful story. So your friend hires one bad employee who happens to be a minority, and based on that sample of one person, decides to conclude that ALL minorities are like that and therefore he won't hire any more, no matter who they are or how well-qualified they are.

How stupid is that? If he really were interested in a "level playing field", he'd have chalked up the experience to THAT PERSON and not the "race" they supposedly represent.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2005, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Gee-Man
That is an awful story. So your friend hires one bad employee who happens to be a minority, and based on that sample of one person, decides to conclude that ALL minorities are like that and therefore he won't hire any more, no matter who they are or how well-qualified they are.

How stupid is that? If he really were interested in a "level playing field", he'd have chalked up the experience to THAT PERSON and not the "race" they supposedly represent.
Yes, he's not like that though. His reasons for not hiring from a minority for a long time after that were down to the fact that it opened him up to losing money too easily. I mean, who would you hire? Someone who could possibly take you for $10,000 if you fired them or someone who couldn't? Business is all about minimising risks.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

bobwoodward  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2005, 04:27 PM

For all you lame fools that can't parse a sentence or follow an argument without ad hominem here's some more news. The note isn't anonymous to me anymore. I know who posted it. There isn't one person there's more. There's ONE MANAGER and the complaint has been taken up with Apple human resources. I didn't ask anyone of you to boycott or stop going to that Apple store. The note did. I would rather there NOT be a boycott. I would rather walk up to the manager and talk to him about it... which I likely will do.

Of this we can be sure. Those pig-headed thugs of you, and you know who you are, won't know when the issue gets answered because you will still be in your pig headed little world and I for one won't be telling to YOU about fixing it. Which, by the way, is why I approached the Mac community instead of, say, a gay legal team.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Nov 19, 2005, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by bobwoodward
For all you lame fools that can't parse a sentence or follow an argument without ad hominem here's some more news. The note isn't anonymous to me anymore (1). I know who posted it. There isn't one person there's more. There's ONE MANAGER and the complaint has been taken up with Apple human resources. I didn't ask anyone of you to boycott or stop going to that Apple store. The note did. I would rather there NOT be a boycott (2). I would rather walk up to the manager and talk to him about it... which I likely will do. (3)

Of this we can be sure. Those pig-headed thugs of you, and you know who you are, won't know when the issue gets answered because you will still be in your pig headed little world and I for one won't be telling to YOU about fixing it (4). Which, by the way, is why I approached the Mac community instead of, say, a gay legal team (5).
(1) - What happened? Did the note introduce itself to you or did somoeone else make the introduction? guy: "Bobwoodward, meet the note. Note, meet bobwoodward"

(2) - Neither would I like there to be a boycott. Those are always a pain.

(3) - Jokes aside, good thinking. Talk to the guy and send a complaint letter - ask Cody about this, she'll sort you out.

(4) - Oh, no! what are we gonna do? Don't be that way, please.

(5) - Dude, I don't even know what to say to that. A "gay legal team"? What is that? A bunch of gay guys opening a law firm? Five or six hot lesbians getting together to form a team? Priceless! And please, please let me know what it means!

Forum Links
Forum Rules