Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Where to find RAM for these things??

Where to find RAM for these things??
chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 21, 2006, 07:48 PM

We want to max out our new iMac at the office with (2) 1GB SODIMMs, but as far as I can tell nobody has these things. We tried Crucial, Kingston, Chip Merchant, all the Mac sites and our local Apple Store.

I was hoping we could use this thread to tip each other off until the chips are less scarce.

This is what we're looking for... in the 1GB variety: DDR2 PC2-5300 200-PIN SODIMM
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Jan 21, 2006, 07:58 PM

www.outpost.com has Mushkin sticks for 67.99 I called friday and they said the ETA on those was the 25th of this month.

Crucial has them for considerably more, but I still think they're not there yet. You can phone in an order w/ them even though you cannot place it online.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2006, 08:12 PM

People have reported success calling Crucial instead of going through the website.

MORT A POTTY: I don't see any 1GB DDR2-667 SO-DIMMs at outpost.com.

MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Jan 21, 2006, 08:25 PM

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4700769

sure you do.

btw, they raised the price to 99.99 since I ordered mine.

Spartan24
Jan 22, 2006, 09:40 PM

Thanks Mort

I just got my new 20" iMac Duo today and seems like everyone is out.. Not familiar with the Mushkin ram.. have you used this brand before? Quite a price difference between them and Crucial.

MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Jan 22, 2006, 10:02 PM

Mushkin is a fine brand of RAM. I've not personally used them before, but they have a pretty damn good rep.

jwoods
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2006, 10:12 PM

I've used Mushkin for years (in intel based PC's) and have NEVER had a problem. I think you will be very satisfied. Service and support are fantastic.

Spartan24
Jan 22, 2006, 10:12 PM

Thanks for the quick response Mort... looks like there's and $80 difference for 2 gigs between Crucial and Mushkin.. This darn iMac Duo is practically begging for more ram! My local Apple store was out too.

chrisutley  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2006, 04:23 PM

memory2go.com claims to have 1GB sticks in stock for $106 ea.. I just orderded 2 of them, I'll let you know what my experience is like.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

Forum Links
Forum Rules