Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Shipping / tracking for UK-bound C2D Macbook Pros (sigh)

Shipping / tracking for UK-bound C2D Macbook Pros (sigh)
pjosborne
Nov 1, 2006, 06:36 AM

Congrats to all you stateside residents who have already received your C2D machines - they sound sweet! Amazing to see some are being delivered within 24-48 hours after shipping. Which leads me on to:

Why is shipping to the UK so rubbish?

According to the guy I spoke to at Apple I was one of the first (if not the first) to order a C2D Macbook Pro in the UK (CTO 2.16 / 2GB /160 / Glossy). It shipped on the 27th (so far so good). Unfortunately, because I ordered Applecare (they threw me a GBP50 discount) it's being shipped via 'GB merge in Transit'. This is some bizarre arrangement whereby the MBP and the Applecare box meet at some UK warehouse and continue their journey together (why they couldn't send them separately is beyond me). My estimated delivery is 8 November and there's no online tracking available! I rang Apple and they told me that have no ability to track merge in transit shipments.

I wouldn't mind so much if there was an expedited shipping option and I had chosen not to pay for it, but we don't have any options here.

I kind of feel like a kid the night before the night before the night before Xmas. Oh well, let's just hope (a) Apple is being pessimistic with their estimated dates and (b) it's not DOA (I'd hate to go through this twice)
Peter Osborne
Small Fry Web Hosting

GraphicLounge.co.uk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2006, 06:59 AM

Yeah it does seem a bit rubbish that...

I also had a query and am hoping someone might know....

I ordered my 17" MBP on the 29th Oct and when I went online to check my order status, it says that my estimated shipping date is 11th November and estimated delivered by date is 20th november...but anyway I read somwhere that Apple only charge your card after they have despatched your item.

I check my online bank account and it seems that Apple have already taken payment? Does anyoneonw know what this means? Does this means they have actually shipped my item?

Cheers.

pjosborne  (op)
Nov 1, 2006, 08:42 AM

FWIW I wasn't charged until the day my MBP shipped. Hope it means yours is on its way too.
Peter Osborne
Small Fry Web Hosting

mism
Nov 1, 2006, 09:54 AM

At last, someone who understands I ordered a MBP 2.33, 3Gb, 160Gb, Matt on 24th. I made the mistake of also ordering a sleeve, spare power adaptor and keyboard so am in 'Merge in Transit' limbo as well.

Ordered 24th
Shipped 28th (nice one I thought)
ETA Nov 9th!

For the love of god is this not the 21st century? I would have happily paid extra for faster shipping but like you say, there is no option for this.
Hopefully Apple are being pessimistic, but I'm resigned to the 9th.

I know I'm just being an impatient (33 year old) kid and a week isn't going to kill be. But isn't this passion for Mac's what makes us Mac users? I'm writing this on a 12" Powerbook G4 867mhz 1Gb so you can imagine how excited I am.

Let us know how things progress. (sorry not sure about the charging vs shipping date).

viruscool
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2006, 11:00 AM

I'm in the same boat, ordered a BTO 2.33 with 160GB harddrive with a 20" cinema display, so I've got the merge in transit delivery as well.
My delivery dates estimated at 9th November, although I'm really hoping that it will come sooner.
(The dark lord has risen again......Beware)

smw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2006, 11:29 AM

I am also in the same position. According to apecode.com on the 27th October the flight was full and on the 30th October the truck and/or plane broke down.

My delivery date has slipped from the 8th to the 9th November!

This is really, really annoying.

pjosborne  (op)
Nov 1, 2006, 11:43 AM

[QUOTE=smw;3188506]I am also in the same position. According to apecode.com on the 27th October the flight was full and on the 30th October the truck and/or plane broke down.

Thanks for the link - I didn't know about this one

Tried it with great hopes, only find that my MBP was on the same broken down plane / truck as yours (probably a 1968 Bedford shipped out specially to 'expedite' UK orders)
Peter Osborne
Small Fry Web Hosting

mism
Nov 1, 2006, 12:09 PM

Its good to know that I'm not the only one who's delivery is in the lap of the gods. I'll post as soon as I know anything.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2006, 12:42 PM

My MacBook was delayed, but it was because of a manufacturing delay (or so the rumor went). In my expirience shipping dates are pessimistic. But then, I live in the Unuted States and I regard shipping times as amazing.

Perhaps when something is shipped to the UK, they drive it in from China, eh?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2006, 12:43 PM

I hear you guys. Mine shipped on the 29th and was supposed to be in Europe by now. Unfortunately it was supposed to be on that plane on the 30th too. Now all I get is
"31 Oct 2006 19:00 Pudong International Airport Potential Connection Delay"

And of course neither Apple nor the shipping people have given me an updated delivery date.

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2006, 10:06 PM

I ordered on the 30th, have a shipping date of the 2nd and deliver of the 14th!!! What sort of shipping is that. I wish I hadn't ordered the apple care now, I can't believe it's going to take 12 days to ship a damn laptop to me. That sucks. I wish I'd not gone with the 160Gb now and just gone into the apple store and bought the 120 instead, could've just collected it over the counter.

Damn. Why don't they just send the two boxes seperately, it's not like you need the applecare box there and then.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

mism
Nov 2, 2006, 06:16 AM

I know we must sound like we're just moaning but its so frustrating when you've spent this much money. The amount of things you can buy with overnight delivery these days is amazing. Of course I don't expect overnight, not when I have custom options and I assume its shipping from China. But is delivery within 5 days of shipping too much to ask for?
I keep reminding myself that A) I am lucky to be able to have ordered a MBP and B) another week won't hurt but [stamps feet] I want my MBP [/stamps feet]

smw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2006, 07:37 AM

Still no update as of the morning.

The aircraft / truck is still knackered and my shiny new MBP is still stuck in Shanghai!

This is really unacceptable and I don't recall this sort of delay for previous orders from Apple.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2006, 08:26 AM

a guy at work ordered his about an hour after they were announced.
his "on or before" date is the 9th
we don't have time to stop for gas

pjosborne  (op)
Nov 2, 2006, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by smw View Post

The aircraft / truck is still knackered and my shiny new MBP is still stuck in Shanghai!
Apple UK weren't able to tell me anything other than that my 'estimated delivery' was now the 7th or 8th. However, a couple of other guys with the same tracking message (aircraft / truck failure) were told by Apple that their MBPs have got as far as Luxemburg. Who knows? Like you say it's pretty crappy service for the 21st century.
Peter Osborne
Small Fry Web Hosting

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2006, 03:17 PM

Yeah ive got the "Pudong International Airport Potential Connection Delay" too!

Good news is that someone from Luxembourg said that the plane has made it to Europe, and that the tracking page just hasnt been updated. hmmm I was told on or before the 8th... so we shall see.
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

FozzieUK
Nov 2, 2006, 04:03 PM

Well I am getting married on Saturday. My Fiance has just given me my wedding present... A macbook pro C2D, 2.33 15.4". I am overjoyed or what. She has been pestering the Apple store for weeks now and they came up with the goods yesterday. I though she was getting me an iPod!! I have to leave it now until after my honeymoon

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2006, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by FozzieUK View Post
Well I am getting married on Saturday. My Fiance has just given me my wedding present... A macbook pro C2D, 2.33 15.4". I am overjoyed or what. She has been pestering the Apple store for weeks now and they came up with the goods yesterday. I though she was getting me an iPod!! I have to leave it now until after my honeymoon
Best wife ever.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2006, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by RevEvs View Post
Yeah ive got the "Pudong International Airport Potential Connection Delay" too!

Good news is that someone from Luxembourg said that the plane has made it to Europe, and that the tracking page just hasnt been updated. hmmm I was told on or before the 8th... so we shall see.
I have received that information too. Supposedly the plane has already landed in Europe and the goods have passed the EDC. The TNT girl told me that it should arrive at the local depot today. I don't really believe that, but I guess I could indeed have it by Monday.

siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2006, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by RevEvs View Post
Best wife ever.
The more people I meet, the more I love dogs...
Women aren't stupid........................ men are ;)

mism
Nov 3, 2006, 05:44 AM

Odd, my order status page has changed very slightly. Before it had the tracking number to click on, not it has a button "track this shipment". It leads to the same place, just seems weird?
I get my hopes up every time a courier comes into reception

pjosborne  (op)
Nov 3, 2006, 12:04 PM

This is really unacceptable and I don't recall this sort of delay for previous orders from Apple.
Finally there is an update (though it's not great news). I'm now getting 'Flight departed - 03 Nov'. On the plus side it means I should get my baby sometime next week but, by the same token, it means my MBP has been sitting at Shanghai airport for over a week! Not very 21st century....
Peter Osborne
Small Fry Web Hosting

smw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2006, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by pjosborne View Post
Finally there is an update (though it's not great news). I'm now getting 'Flight departed - 03 Nov'. On the plus side it means I should get my baby sometime next week but, by the same token, it means my MBP has been sitting at Shanghai airport for over a week! Not very 21st century....
Agreed. Exactly the same update, Flight Departed - 03 Nov. The MBP should have been here by now, instead it has been gathering dust in Shanghai.

Disgraceful!

mism
Nov 6, 2006, 05:59 AM

Has anyone had any news? As my MBP is coming as 'merge in transit' the tracking tells we nothing. I'm hoping if people get there's today or tomorrow mine will be a day or two behind.

mism
Nov 6, 2006, 09:10 AM

Bit of an update, the Apple tracking page has updated this morning and now gives me a KUEHNE & NAGEL tracking number. It also says estimated delivery date 3rd!
The KUEHNE & NAGEL site tells me nothing but Apple Tracking is more useful, kind of. Its somewhat confusing, read it one way and it sounds like the MBP is still in Shanghai. I think it arrived at the UK depot on Friday in Daventry? So hopefully it will be here today or tomorrow.

pjosborne  (op)
Nov 6, 2006, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by mism View Post
I think it arrived at the UK depot on Friday in Daventry? So hopefully it will be here today or tomorrow.
I rang Apple this morning and they told me the MBP is now in Daventry. I still haven't got the final UPS/TNT number showing on my Apple Tracking Page so I guess it arrived this morning and will ship tonight / tomorrow (why does no one in the supply chain to the UK work weekends?). FWIW the woman I spoke to at Apple suggested I would have it by the 8th.

BTW over the weekend I heard the Emma Maersk (largest container ship in the world) arrived in the UK from Shanghai at the weekend. It took just under two weeks- perhaps Apple can now offer 'expedited shipping' to the UK
Peter Osborne
Small Fry Web Hosting

mism
Nov 7, 2006, 06:04 AM

Mine is out for deliver with UPS I'll post later if it arrives.

pjosborne  (op)
Nov 7, 2006, 03:37 PM

Mine is out for deliver with UPS I'll post later if it arrives.
Congrats. Mine's still stuck at Daventry. I'm off for a long weekend on Thursday, so I've resigned myself to not seeing my baby till next Monday. If it's DOA after all this I'll
Peter Osborne
Small Fry Web Hosting

pjosborne  (op)
Nov 7, 2006, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by pjosborne View Post
Congrats. Mine's still stuck at Daventry. I'm off for a long weekend on Thursday, so I've resigned myself to not seeing my baby till next Monday. If it's DOA after all this I'll
Update: Actually, mine might not even be at Daventry. In the course of three calls to Apple today (not that I'm getting obsessive or anything) I've been told it is:

(a) at the gate in Daventry ready to ship
(b) in Amsterdam
(c) "in the UK" (but presumably not at Daventry)

I give up - I'm off to buy a second-hand SE/30
Peter Osborne
Small Fry Web Hosting

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2006, 06:08 PM

hmm last update i've had is that mine is at the TNT Arnhem Hub. I was hoping it would be shipped to the UK today and be delivered to me tomorrow, but it seems its sitting in Arnhem for a day or two.. gathering dust.

mism
Nov 8, 2006, 08:18 AM

Well my MBP arrived yesterday afternoon. Got everything up and running very easily. Very happy with it, no dead pixels, no funny noises, its a dream after my 867Mhz PBG4 (bless it though, it never let me down once).

FYI:

Ordered on Tues 24th:
MBP 3Gb, 160Gb 2.33Ghz
Tuscano case
Extra power supply.
Keyboard.

Shipped on Saturday 28th, merge in transit, ie the bits were coming from different places.

I think it got to the UK on Mon 6th.

Arrived at my address in London on the afternoon of Tuesday 7th.

Hope everyone gets theirs soon and are as happy as me

pjosborne  (op)
Nov 11, 2006, 04:13 PM

Well my MBP arrived yesterday afternoon.
Mine arrived Thursday a.m (I've been in deepest, darkest Norfolk since). Agreed though, it's a machine worth waiting for.

Final summary:

24th October: Ordered
27th October: Bumped off flight due to overbooking (excess cargo)
30th October: Plane broke down at Shanghai
3rd November: Plane fixed and departs for Luxembourg
4th-7th November: European tour (no tracking data)
8th November: Arrive Brighton

Elapsed time from order: 16 days
Shanghai airport to Brighton: 14 days

Positively antediluvian
Peter Osborne
Small Fry Web Hosting

smw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2006, 07:55 PM

Mine arrived on Wednesday.

Unfortunately it has a problem with the graphics chip, and after 15 minutes of use random white lines appear on the MBP screen. This only happens when my cinema display is plugged in.

Phoned Apple and it is due to be picked up by TNT on Monday. ETA for new machine 23rd November.

Superb!
( Last edited by smw; Nov 12, 2006 at 07:14 AM. )

pjosborne  (op)
Nov 12, 2006, 04:48 PM

Mine arrived on Wednesday.

Unfortunately it has a problem with the graphics chip, and after 15 minutes of use random white lines appear on the MBP screen. This only happens when my cinema display is plugged in.

Superb!
Bummer! Haven't tried my external display yet. Really sorry to hear you got this issue after such a long wait. Hope the replacement is a winner....
Peter Osborne
Small Fry Web Hosting

Forum Links
Forum Rules