Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > All AT&T iPhones getting cellular FaceTime, users say

All AT&T iPhones getting cellular FaceTime, users say
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Nov 21, 2012, 06:22 AM

In spite of earlier statements by the carrier, AT&T appears to be extending cellular FaceTime to all compatible devices on its network, note forum posters at MacRumors. It had been announced that while cellular FaceTime would no longer be restricted to Mobile Share plans, the option would still require a tiered data plan and a device with LTE. By definition that would block the iPhone 4S and/or anyone on a grandfathered unlimited plan; anything earlier than the 4S is unsupported because of Apple's own restrictions in iOS 6.

Some of the forum posters say, though, that they have been able to turn on FaceTime both on the 4S and on iPhone 5s using unlimited data. Not everyone has had success, but that could simply mean that AT&T is still rolling out the feature. AT&T itself originally stated that its FaceTime support could take eight to 10 weeks to deploy. In any case, people who have had the option turn on have sometimes had to restart their phones first. At this stage it remains uncertain if the wider FaceTime access is a mistake on AT&T's part or intentional. The carrier was widely criticized when FaceTime was limited to Mobile Share, and backed off mainly to avoid government scrutiny. It also faces sharp competition from Verizon and Sprint, though, since neither of which have any artificial limits on FaceTime calls.

efithian
Nov 21, 2012, 07:29 AM

So, after all these years of unlimited data with ATT at $30/month, they want to gouge me even more before allowing me to use Facetime over cellular? I would use it once or twice a year. Looks like it is time to get a new carrier.

shmoolie
Nov 21, 2012, 10:12 AM

I'm on a grandfathered family unlimited data plan with a new iPhone 5 and all I needed to do was restart the phone and the cellular option defaulted to "on". Interestingly when I turned the option to "off" and then back to "on" it wouldn't without me having to upgrade my plan like it used to require so I restarted the phone again and it was back on after that.

ChrisCA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2012, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by efithian View Post
So, after all these years of unlimited data with ATT at $30/month, they want to gouge me even more before allowing me to use Facetime over cellular?
No.
Did you even bother to read this article (or even the headline) before you posted?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 22, 2012, 11:37 AM

It's dead. AT&T screwed up and accidentally turned it on. Now they've turned it back off.

Tons of user reports here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1493540&page=17

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules