Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Carrying Cases for Titanium

Carrying Cases for Titanium
TibookX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2001, 09:08 PM

Does any1 know of any cases that would look cool for the tibook? if so, please post links. thanx.

TibookX
Tibookx
(TI 550/256/30)

jack daddy
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2001, 10:50 PM

they all look kind of whack to me but i would definately get one of those aluminum briefcases with foam insides from staples to carry mine in it.

JB72
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2001, 11:26 PM

On that note; has anyone heard of a "covering" for a notebook? What I mean is, I have a great back I always carry aroung that has a cell slot, palm, etc. Well my Ti just happens to fit in perfectly. But, while it's padded, it's not as protective as I's like it t be. Does anyone sell a really thin prtective "thingy" I could easily slip it in and out of?

Thanks all.

------------------
-JB72.338x

Just another dock pervert.

cpatubo
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2001, 11:56 PM

You mean something like a sleeve?

If you want a custom fit for your TiPB, check out
Tom Bihn's Lap Dog:

http://www.tombihn.com/Merchant2/mer...y_Code=LapDogs

� Available in Basic Black
� 500 Denier Cordura� & Spandura� Stretch Cordura�.
� Interior Dimensions: approximately 13-1/2" x 10" x 1-1/4".
� Exterior Dimensions: approximately 14" x 11-1/2" x 2".

They're not available until March, but then again, a lot of people aren't getting their tiPB's until late Feb, anyways...

cpatubo
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 10, 2001, 12:17 AM

More...

This one looks like it could fit, the Briggs & Riley Fielding Computer Sleeve:
http://www.ebags.com/products/index....ink=SeeDetails

� 100% Cotton Canvas
� Size: 14.5" x 11.5" x 2.5"
� Weight: 1.15 lbs.
� Capacity: 417 cu. in.

T.Rex
Feb 10, 2001, 12:21 AM

To me, these are the most appropriate for the TiBook,
http://www.zerohalliburton.com/

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 10, 2001, 01:08 AM

Go the Spire: http://www.spireusa.com

This has taken my Powerbook successfully around outback Oz without any dramas. They're great bags.

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2001, 01:11 AM

Anyone have exprerience with the JanSport Vertical Brief?

m_matsu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2001, 01:49 AM

or you can try
http://www.sfbags.com/

They have a G4 Sleeve case

Titanium X
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2001, 02:22 AM

I am a proud owner of G4 Sleeve Case (www.sfbags.com) , I am also on backorder for the Titanium Laptop that goes in it

Bob L. Bee
Feb 10, 2001, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by cpatubo:
More...

This one looks like it could fit, the Briggs & Riley Fielding Computer Sleeve:
The eBag customer ratings on that bag according to that link aren't great. Only three out of five would buy it again. Doesn't look like eBags carries it anymore, but the Boblbee Megalopolis got great ratings when they did. Even at $225, five out of five said they would buy it again, and nearly all ratings maxed out at five stars. The People's Delite model barely fit a Pismo, but the Megalopolis is a few inches longer and should fit the Ti. The Spirit color is a metallic silver paint, "like a new car" according to Boblbee, perfect for Ti. Yeah, it's expensive, but what's the point in scrimping if you paid $3500 on a Ti? I've read all the reviews on the net and people say they may scratch easily, but have great protection. One guy wrote he dropped his three feet and it didn't hurt his laptop. Everybody says they're damn comfortable. They have no cheesy zippers to let rain and dust in. I just ordered mine. It's cheaper than Applecare.

Woo Sanghyuk
Feb 10, 2001, 01:51 PM

what do you think about this one? http://www.boblbee.com/

Aykew
Feb 10, 2001, 05:33 PM

My wife uses a boblbee megalopolis and a Zero Haliburton, both very expensive, high quality bags. Guess which one she uses for everyday use? She swears by the Boblbee.
I just picked up a Boblbee People's Delite and can't wait till I have a powerbook to put into it. I made a cardboard mockup of the PBG4 and tried it out. I was concerned that the laptop pocket would be too small, but the only "problem" is that it sticks up about an inch and a half out of the pocket. I'll have to remove the velcro straps that could scratch the Titanium, but there shouldn't be any problems. If you're looking for a lower profile than the megalopolis, the delite rocks.

Trev
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2001, 08:48 PM

For what its worth, I use a plain school-type backpack I bought for $5.00 (on sale) at a local Staples. I plane on adding some padding to cradle the Ti.

My experience has shown that using "proper" notebook bags it just advertising you have an expensive "toy" just ripe to be nicked. I know, I've been privy to customers relating their experiences.

"Out of sight, out of mind" is my motto. Who the hell wants to steal "school books"?

BTW, I'm not a student, I'm a professional systems engineer.
+++++++++++

JB72
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2001, 10:12 PM

Great guys. Thanks for the info. I think the SFbags sleeve will be perfect for what I need. This baby will be super protected inside that and my other bag. Plus I have that cool ext. cell phone pocket. Now if I could find a cell phone/service that allowed for wireless internet...

------------------
JB71.338x

Dock Pervert? You bet your ascot I am!

Kyosho88
Feb 11, 2001, 12:52 AM

I bought myself a Boblbee Megalopolis for my Powerbook G4 and I think it the best bag. The hardshell case will protect your PB G4, but it will cost you if you decide to buy the Boblbee. Go check it out for yourself at www.Boblbee.com

Bob L. Bee
Feb 11, 2001, 10:09 AM

The Mac sites have embraced the Boblbee. Powerbook Zone, Powerbook Central, Go2Mac and XLR8 Your Mac have reviewed or mentioned the Boblbee on their news pages. Windoze sites have ignored it. Do a Google search for Boblbee and you'll find review after review that gushes about it. They find a few flaws, but every article recommends it, from mc2mag, TwoMobile, Fast Company, Computer Times, Bikemag and efit, among others.

Is this beginning to sound familiar yet? A funky, groundbreaking, design award-winning product that a lot of people instantly dismiss as overpriced. Yet those who actually bought them refuse to give them up. Sounds like the Cult of the Macintosh that we're always accused of. Think different.

Binky
Feb 11, 2001, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by Trev:
For what its worth, I use a plain school-type backpack I bought for $5.00 (on sale) at a local Staples. I plane on adding some padding to cradle the Ti.
Yeah, and you get what you pay for. The first time your backpack falls off a desk and shatters your LCD, you'll know it was penny wise and pound foolish. I'm not worried about theft because I always keep my eyes on my Halliburton and have a Defcon alarm even then. I am worried about having it knocked out of my hand or off a desk by some klutz. I wouldn't use a softsided case if you gave it to me for free.

Binky
Feb 11, 2001, 02:32 PM

BTW, "who the hell wants to steal schoolbooks?" You'd be surprised. Some nitwit once broke into a friend's Subaru in a parking garage. All he took was a cheap duffel bag full of smelly gym clothes.

cpatubo
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 12, 2001, 04:45 AM

I was pondering the G4 Sleevecase at sfbags.com too, but it costs a good $15 minimum to ship to Hawaii. Blast!

Any more suggestions for a good sleeve? I have a Kensington Saddle Bag (very nice bag, IMHO), but wanted extra protection for the PB.

Mahalo in advance for your help. Being on a small island has it's disadvantages, I guess!

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2001, 11:57 AM

I have a Waterfield G4 slipcase and Traeger Cross Country Laptop vertical style bag.

I'm very happy with both. The Traeger doesn't have as much storage space as I would like, but it has more than any of the other vertical briefs I looked at. The Waterfield slip case also fits in the laptop compartment (replacing the removable laptop insert that came with the bag).

jesustheway
Feb 12, 2001, 12:00 PM

Check out brenthaven.com for all types of bags, they're expensive, but if you just want a protective sleeve of slip, they have 3 sizes for 35.00. I have one for my TiBook and it is great.

JBracy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2001, 12:29 PM

Anyone know what ever happend to that Kensington "Wetsuit"? They were very nice, padded wetsuit material made to fit different laptops (I had one for my old Duo230) They were perfect, they allowed you to keep your laptop in your briefcase, backpack, whatever and still have it protected.

hgu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2001, 12:33 PM

I'm think I will buy this:
400 Series Computer Cases | Notebook Portfolio N
to fit in my other back-pack. Since I need to sleeve in the notebook from the short side, i.e. no need to remove the computer case from the back-pack.

Of course you can't use a computer case to carry a computer in, that would break your style, wouldn't it. I'm not 50 yet! Besides I need the extra space in my 40 l back-pack.

hgu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2001, 12:36 PM

oops!
that was samsonite 400 Series Computer Cases | Notebook Portfolio N

roach
Feb 12, 2001, 12:50 PM

My foolproof system for carrying the Tibook is this: Spire sleeve (www.spireusa.com) inside a nautical drybag, inside a lockable Manhattan Portage large laptop bag (www.manhattanportage.com) with extra foam inserts inside an innocuous but street-stylish Manhattan Portage DJ bag: bumps/scrapes/rain/theft... No Problem!

Taggat
Feb 12, 2001, 02:36 PM

This is the case I got.
http://www.us.buy.com/retail/product...246702&loc=101

Now I just have to want till March 3rd
I ordered it on the 11th of Febuary thats 52Days

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2001, 03:28 PM

Pelican Case here for me. It is a very nice case and is waterproof
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

m2
Feb 12, 2001, 03:40 PM

Pelican case???

Do you have a link?

M2

Rupert
Feb 12, 2001, 08:36 PM

Got a Swiss Army WebPak and love it. Now I just need to wait for my Ti Powerbook to arrive!

JimsOkay
Feb 12, 2001, 11:23 PM

Sillcon Sports "Wetsuit 2.0" is/was the best PB cover I have ever seen. Strecth soft neoprene with a back zipper to access all the backside plug in's .. unfortunitly I can't find them anymore.. have searched a ton but no luck.. either they were swallowed up or did the chapter 13 deal.

If anyone Ever stumbles upon them.. PLEASE drop me line

[email protected]

Dr iMac
Feb 13, 2001, 09:33 AM

I'll give all of you my $1.00 computer bag/sleeve secret...... buy a bubble wrap lined tyvec mailer... it works even better with thin laptops like my old duo and my sony 505..

Matt

ps the problem with the wetsuits is that the neoprene melts onto the laptops with extreme heat..

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2001, 10:31 AM

I would have to say, AFTER TAKING A HUGE SPILL ON THE ICE IN BOSTON, that I can not do without my Soren laptop Bag. I was walking up a slight incline to work this morning and slipped on some ice... my bag flew up in the air as I rolled over backwards... My bag landed on one of its corners... I immediately started thinking about cracking my cracked screen, or a huge dent in the side... but it was unscathed!
I have been using this bag since My trusty Pismo. It has cushioned sleeve that fits my TiBook like a glove. I was very happy to see that my TiBook fit inside it much better than the Pismo (which made the sleeve somewhat bulge). Another benefit of the Soren bag is that it has a one year damage/theft warranty included in the price (all you have to do is register it). I believe the bad was around $40 at Best Buy.
my two cents...
dave

theamazingrando
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2001, 11:59 AM

I just thought I would show you some pics of my G3 case. I have never seen another like it. It came from Singapore and apparently a distributor made them as a promotion given away with Pismo sales. It is very cool, and no one I have met from Apple has ever heard of them. Yes, yes, it says steal me, but my clients sure think its cool.

------------------
The Amazing Rando
www.shadowfax.bc.ca/case1.jpg www.shadowfax.bc.ca/case2.jpg

[This message has been edited by theamazingrando (edited 02-13-2001).]
The Amazing Rando

StEvO
Apr 3, 2001, 01:02 AM

Go to http://www.timbuk2.com
and make your own. They make those courier bags (the ones with the three colored stripes) that all the kids are wearin'. But the best part is they make a custom PB/Ti/G4 insert for the two larger sizes.

kidatari
Apr 3, 2001, 09:50 AM

typoon- Exactly what I'm doing

M2- check out http://www.caseman.com . They sell the Pelican cases, which are water/air tight, and very crush-proof, if you don't mind carrying something around that's a bit bigger than a laptop case, hehe.
-- kidatari
-- kidatari(at)earthlink.net

NewOldbie
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2001, 01:17 PM

Pelican Products (makers of Pelican cases, et. al.) used to have some kind of slogan along the lines of "insured against everything except sharkbites."

I use it for my photographic equipment and they are very heavy duty, you can literally jump up and down on it and no problems (I weigh over 200 lbs).

Their laptop model doesn't look too hideous but you'd have to really look at one before you decide. Good luck.

------------------
If there were no God, it would be necessary to invent him.

Voltaire
If there were no God, it would be necessary to invent him.

Voltaire

mismith
Apr 3, 2001, 08:37 PM

StEvO

were you going for the computer commuter bag from timbuk2 or the regular messenger bag.

the computer bag looks to be a little bit taller and padded all around (I think).

IF you were thinking of the messenger bag, what size? (I was thinking the Dee Dog-it is the second from the biggest) I was probably going to get the center divider and bottom cinch straps.

Any advice from anyone else?

Any discussion on backpacks vs. messenger style? I would like to be able to take the notebook out of the bag and be able to carry other things without much difficulty.

Victoria
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2001, 01:43 PM

I am also looking for a Ti sleeve that is very thin but protective - I have a lovely briefcase that will work perfectlyfor it - but the sleeve needs to be lightweight and thin - thanks
Victoria L. Herring, Attorney at Law

HouseSold
Senior User
Apr 8, 2001, 05:12 PM

I loved the wetsuit sleeve from Madsonline, exactly what you describe and want, but had to return it after discovering the two metal zippers can contact and rub the TiBook since their is no protection between zippers and Ti like an inner seam which clothing has to protect us from zippers...

Perhaps if the zippers had been nylon or had this inner seam. No one there seemed to be able to help with a remedy.

The nearest other wetsuit style sleeve not specifically 'Ti', is at the following link:
http://www.saundersphoto.com/html/body_z_4.htm

Tell us what you think and decide.

After the first experience, I haven't been experimental anymore, although I purchased the slim case from Sharper Image (link upon request and posted here previouly on another thread) It works perfectly and is impressive for business presentations. I probably wouldn't go outbacking with it though.

I do have the Timbuk2 sleeve for other 'dates' with TiBook (traveling) for inside a Targus bag, but may get the matching Timbuk2 case now as well. (Their sleeve is well padded and constructed and somewhat unique. My only beef is that the Ti's feet, which come off like Cinderella's shoes, rub off in sleeves unless your careful.

I solved all my feet problems with a small square of Scotch Magic tape on each foot! No more problems and slides like a snowboard around the desk and fits like a glove in all sleeves. I expect this to be an Apple bulletin soon....not.

Forum Links
Forum Rules