Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Fall 2001, Am I reading this right?!

Fall 2001, Am I reading this right?!
bleen
Senior User
Jan 12, 2001, 05:12 PM

MS' MBU demoed Office 2001 for OS X this week. There was an article on Yahoo, http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/2001...pple_dc_2.html That says MS will release Office 2001 for OS X in Fall of 2001?! Am I reading this right?!
If I was right MS said at first that it was supposed to come out in fall of 2000. Fall of 2001?! I have to continue to classic for that long... Why call if Office 2001 then, it should be Office 2002. (If it is taking this long it better be cocoaized!!)

ekoelbel
Jan 12, 2001, 06:40 PM

yup, they said fall of 2001. at least 6 months of classic.....
oh well, hope classic in the final release improves a lot from the beta classic.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Jan 16, 2001, 11:04 PM

Frankly Classic is pretty fast for me, so as long as I can print...

...but it better damn well print

------------------
it's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

dtc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2001, 04:13 AM

Nah. Office:mac 2001 was always supposed to have come out in the Fall of 2000. And it did in October.

Originally posted by bleen:
If I was right MS said at first that it was supposed to come out in fall of 2000. Fall of 2001?!

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Feb 4, 2001, 07:53 PM

No. Office:mac 2001 came out in Fall 2000, but Office:mac for Mac OS X will be released in Fall 2001.

their naming schemes make it all go nuts

------------------
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

bleen  (op)
Senior User
Feb 5, 2001, 12:33 AM

MS said that Office:mac 2001 for OS X was supposed to come out in fall of 2000 back during steve's keynote in MWNY. Then they changed it to fall of 2001 in MWSF.

theamazingrando
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2001, 12:54 PM

RELAX - I think any software company of size is going to have a hard time releasing a final version of OS X compatible software before OS X is even completed.

Let's hope they just include some new features like syncing with your TiBook as well as your Palm and shared calendars and contacts across a network

------------------
The Amazing Rando
The Amazing Rando

Reverend Jim
Feb 8, 2001, 10:26 PM

It's times like this that I wish Carbon application creating was as quick and easy as it was billed to be.
Best Pickup line in the
world: exclaim , "Look a
bird", and when they
look up, take their
pants off. Oh yea, and
macs rule!

dtc
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2001, 03:32 PM

Did OS X come out yet? Moot point.

Originally posted by bleen:
MS said that Office:mac 2001 for OS X was supposed to come out in fall of 2000 back during steve's keynote in MWNY. Then they changed it to fall of 2001 in MWSF.

zoopsia215
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2001, 10:38 PM

OS X is slated to be released March 24 (next month). I cannot wait, but I do not forsee really using it until I can upgrade most of my core apps to run under OS X. It is going to be like running my Mac when I first unpackaged it and had no software (

dtc
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2001, 06:10 PM

<shrug> I see myself using Classic for quite a while. I'm wondering when Photoshop for OS X will come out frankly.

Originally posted by zoopsia215:
OS X is slated to be released March 24 (next month). I cannot wait, but I do not forsee really using it until I can upgrade most of my core apps to run under OS X. It is going to be like running my Mac when I first unpackaged it and had no software (

bleen  (op)
Senior User
Feb 23, 2001, 06:06 AM

It looks like a lot of us will have the sluggish classic running for a while. Especially with MS being as Steve called it "Laggard" and releasing their software in the fall.

[This message has been edited by bleen (edited 03-05-2001).]

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Mar 1, 2001, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by Reverend Jim:
It's times like this that I wish Carbon application creating was as quick and easy as it was billed to be.
Um, it is as easy as it was billed to be. Microsoft's Office suite is a huge amount of code, and this revision is actually pretty quick. It's unlikely that they've been working on it for very long since CarbonLib has been a rapidly moving target (pretty much a new version each build). CarbonLib 1.2.5 only went GM a week ago.

Plus, this update is not just a port; they'll also be offering a lot more features, bug fixes, etc etc.

This will be an excellent update for MS Office, I predict, and blaming Carbon is really kind of silly. They're working on it.

If you're that uptight about Word docs, you can start using StarOffice this summer. And that's free.

------------------
the oddball newsletter
------------------

bleen  (op)
Senior User
Mar 2, 2001, 02:12 AM

Originally posted by gorgonzola:
Plus, this update is not just a port; they'll also be offering a lot more features, bug fixes, etc etc.
The OS X Build will of course have tons of Bug fixes with the MBU Engineers going deep through all the Office Code, as for features the MBU hasn't said that there will be any yet.
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product...e/osx_faqs.asp

Forum Links
Forum Rules