Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Finder crashes NON-STOP! HELP!!!

Finder crashes NON-STOP! HELP!!!
Lucidwray
Aug 13, 2002, 11:05 PM

Ok, this is very strange to me. Im running 10.1.5 for a while now with no problems what so ever. Tonight I decide to do the most recent security update and disc burn update from the Software update pannel and now when my machine boots into X the finder crashes and restarts nonstop. The only thing i can do on the machine is launch and use apps that are in my dock.

The finder restarts about every 3 seconds. Since i started writing this message it has restarted probably 30 times.

I booted into OS9 and trashed all the finder prefs as well as any that were modified around the same time as the update. No luck.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can get my finder back? Im dead in the water till i can get this fixed.

Thanks a ton
nolo contendere: A legal term meaning: "I didn't do it, judge, and I'll never do it again."

Sturgis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2002, 11:25 PM

I had this problem when I plugged my iPod in. My question is, do you have any external drives plugged in? If so, you might want to unplug them and see if the problem goes away.

P.S. I had to get the iPod replaced.
Science vs. Luck

Lucidwray  (op)
Aug 13, 2002, 11:37 PM

No,
no external devices at all. I have 2 internal drives that are run through a Acard ATA133 card, and 2 Rage 128 pro video cards that came with the Blue & White G3 machines.

The machine is a B&W 400.

I read somewhere that after the security update some people had some finder crash problems. They changed SSL and Apache back to the versions before the security update.

How in the world do you do that? where can i get copys of those? Is there someway to uninstall the security update.

And my last question... Where is the log file that the console.app program reads from. I wonder if there is anything in that log file that might help out. Know where i can find that file?
nolo contendere: A legal term meaning: "I didn't do it, judge, and I'll never do it again."

itistoday
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2002, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by Lucidwray:
No,
no external devices at all. I have 2 internal drives that are run through a Acard ATA133 card, and 2 Rage 128 pro video cards that came with the Blue & White G3 machines.

The machine is a B&W 400.

I read somewhere that after the security update some people had some finder crash problems. They changed SSL and Apache back to the versions before the security update.

How in the world do you do that? where can i get copys of those? Is there someway to uninstall the security update.

And my last question... Where is the log file that the console.app program reads from. I wonder if there is anything in that log file that might help out. Know where i can find that file?
In case you don't get any luck here, try the macfixit forums... sorry that i can't help though...

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2002, 02:54 AM

This is a problem with a corrupted font. I know, because it happened to me.

See if you can log in as another user OK. IF you can, then move all the fonts in the problem user's Fonts folder. Add them back one at a time until you find the problematic one.

Otherwise, it's a font in System/Library/Fonts (I think) - so you need to find the problem font in there.

Mostly - do not panic ! This is solvable. I pulled my hair out over this one, re-installing ths OS. It's not necessary.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2002, 02:28 PM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
This is a problem with a corrupted font. I know, because it happened to me.

See if you can log in as another user OK. IF you can, then move all the fonts in the problem user's Fonts folder. Add them back one at a time until you find the problematic one.

Otherwise, it's a font in System/Library/Fonts (I think) - so you need to find the problem font in there.

Mostly - do not panic ! This is solvable. I pulled my hair out over this one, re-installing ths OS. It's not necessary.
Good to know, thank you for the info.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules