Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Midas in Safari: possibly soon?

Midas in Safari: possibly soon?
Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2004, 07:12 PM

I've been working for some time now on some stuff using Kevin Roth's excellent Cross-Browser Rich Text Editor, at http://www.kevinroth.com/rte/demo.htm (try it in Mozilla or FireFox for best effect). When Safari 1.2 came out, I noticed that it no longer worked properly; rather than display the standard textarea (since Safari doesn't do Midas), it tried to draw the Midas-based editor, which of course didn't work.

Kevin Roth fixed the problem a couple of days ago, but I was trying to figure out what the problem actually was, and I'd had an awful time of it, because I figured that something must have changed in the User-Agent string. That wasn't the case, though.

The problem comes from the fact that Safari advertises itself to JavaScript as being capable of dealing with document.designMode, even though it's not. This seems like an odd bug to surface only in a recent version of Safari... unless something was being done on designMode, and the 'document.designMode' property was enabled by mistake, before the rest was ready.

Could it be that this work is actually taking place? We know that Hyatt is interested in implementing Midas support; he's said that before. Is it possible that the work was started in Safari 1.2, but isn't yet finished? Will we finally have our creamy rich-text goodness in Safari?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2004, 09:50 PM

Hey that looks very nice. Does this mean that it could be used on a web-based admin area for a website, to update news articles and whatnot, without having to use html for Bold, Italics etc? That would be huge for me!

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 28, 2004, 08:03 AM

That'll be great if Safari finally has some sort of editor mode. I remember writing a version of an HTML editor back when IE5 came out, and it was a long wait for Moz to support a similar thing. It definitely will make life easier for a lot of people - I wonder if macnn would then incorporate it instead of using vB code...

Has anyone asked Dave Hyatt why this has now surfaced and how close to completion a Safari implementation of Midas is? Things are starting to get exciting with Safari - the main reasons I use Moz is because of XMLHTTPRequests and Midas - and XMLHTTPRequest was brought in in 1.2.

Methinks I'll have to go and play around with Safari a bit more.
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

Forum Links
Forum Rules