Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Does the US Need a Foreign Legion?

Does the US Need a Foreign Legion?
Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2007, 12:19 PM

This person seems to think so, and brings up some very valid points.

The idea is fascinating. I doubt that the paranoid Bush Administration would ever approve of such a thing, but it's not without its advantages. Security can theoretically be a problem (which is why I don't believe the Bush Administration would ever approve of this), but there are ways of managing the risks. The article mentions people complaining that it would somehow be coercive toward the world's poor, but I've got to be honest: I'm not seeing how. Another potential advantage I see which the article doesn't mention would be in foreign areas where we have permanent military bases: if a unit of such a legion in each such base were to be staffed chiefly by locals, it could help provide those bases with much-needed expertise in local matters. Eventually, perhaps, more and more of the staff of such bases could be transferred to the Foreign Legion, allowing more citizens to stay at home.

The biggest advantages I could see, however, actually deal with immigration. It's depressing how many skilled people come in from other countries but cannot obtain the proper certifications or licenses here, and are thus relegated to menial jobs where their skills go to waste. The military needs people from all walks of life, however, and so a Foreign Legion could be better equipped to put many of those skills to use. This could go a long way toward getting these people proper certification when they are released from the service, and thus everyone wins: the immigrants would undoubtedly be happier in the careers they chose in their homeland, while society benefits because those skills aren't wasted.

And yes, there's the manpower issue to consider. When the immigration benefits are considered, I doubt there would be any shortage of volunteers. Institute proper background checks, and the manpower problems we currently face are all but solved.

Thoughts?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Macrobat
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2007, 02:12 PM

Well, the United States military, with all its immigrant populations, is already pretty much a foreign legion.

One path to legalization of immigration status has always been military service - it's already available.

On a related note: It's interesting that the most elite, bravest, and most hard-fighting unit in the French Army is the Foreign Legion - no?
"That Others May Live"
On the ISG: "The nation's capital hasn't seen such concentrated wisdom in one place since Paris Hilton dined alone at the Hooters on Connecticut Avenue." - John Podhoretz

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
The article mentions people complaining that it would somehow be coercive toward the world's poor, but I've got to be honest: I'm not seeing how.
If you choose the right definition of "coercion", it would work in the same way the US-Mexico border attracts the Mexican unfortunate. One side has the greener pasture, and the other side has no pasture.

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
Institute proper background checks, and the manpower problems we currently face are all but solved. Thoughts?
You would have to trust that the government of their native country has a fair justice system, not just classifying their citizens as "Loyal" or "Dissident".

Originally Posted by Macrobat
One path to legalization of immigration status has always been military service - it's already available.
I don't know where this myth started. In reality, illegal immigrants who join the military and get caught, get deported, even after serving in combat. Military service IS NOT a path to legalization of immigration, and recruiters who promise otherwise should be sent to jail (melt the key too).

Forum Links
Forum Rules