Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Show me the "REAL" file size... TIGER

Show me the "REAL" file size... TIGER
creativescott
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2005, 03:28 PM

Greetings and Thanks, in advanced, to all who help.

OS X (10.4 Tiger)

In "Finder" how can I see the files actual size in "K" ... For example, it only shows small GIF and JPGs (for the web) as being 32K, 64K, 96K... I have "calculate file size" checked in the Finder options. When creating web graphics, I need to be able to look quickly at a folder and see total file size and individual files size. "Get Info" again, only displays - for example 32 k when I know the file is like 2K.

Here is another example. I have a folder of images, my PC tells me that that the files total 52K in the "File Explorer" window on the bottom info bar. On my Mac, if I do a cmd+opt+i - it states that the files total 800K (32K x the number of files).

Please help, What can OS X do - or if you know of a utility that may help with this. I use Finder/File Explorer all the time... and this is really frustrating.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2005, 07:18 PM

What's this "Calculate file size" that you speak of? There's a "calculate all sizes" (to calculate folder sizes) for List view but that's it. Does not affect files.

The Finder displays the amount of space the files are taking up on the disk. On an HFS+ formatted drive, minimum file size is 4 K. Sounds like your HDD might not be formatted that way? I don't know how well/if OS X runs on HFS, but I do think the file size minimum was 32 K back in those days (like, uh, 10 years ago?). File sizes also include resource forks (if the file has one), which are not carried over to other file systems.

Get Info also displays the file size in bytes, which is the ACTUAL file size. You can calculate from that what the file is in kilobytes or megabytes.

Someone else chime in if I'm not explaining things adequately.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2005, 08:30 PM

Nope, that's a perfectly good explanation. The OP says he wants "real" file sizes, but any number in kilobytes won't be a true filesize unless it's accurate down to three decimal places. If you want the actual size of the file, use the bytes as shown in the Get Info window.

creativescott  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2005, 09:20 PM

Thanks Apfhex...

You are very right about formatting!

Here's my set up. 12" PB/SD/1GHz/1.25 GB RAM/7200 RPM Hitachi 60 GIG HD (low heat ver. that was a fun take-apart) - external monitor/keys/mouse/ ... AND ...

2 external Firewire 800/400 200 GB Seagate 7200 HDs... 1 formatted Win32 - 1 formatted HFS+ J (also have 2 external SATA 160 GB Seagate 7200 HDs (both Win32) - I currently connect via network to these through a host Win XP laptop)

Right now all my work is on the Firewire Win32 drive. Explains the 32KB blocks as read by the Mac. WinXP displays "Size" in closest single KB, like 1KB as well as "Size on disk" in 4KB blocks - which I guess I was expecting to see. I know a 53 byte gif file shows up as 1KB, which takes up 4 KB of HD space... My shock was see this same file appear as 32KB.

Which, if I am following you guys correctly I will not see that file showing up as 1KB in the Finder. Though doing a Get Info will reveal the bytes... For quick reference I would still like to closet KB, just what I am used to as a web designer/developer.

wataru - I retract the "actual" in my title... hehe

creativescott  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2005, 09:22 PM

sorry, it is the word "REAL" ... that I retract... Thanks again guys.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2005, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by creativescott
On my Mac, if I do a cmd+opt+i - it states that the files total 800K (32K x the number of files).
I am going to disagree with you. On my machine, cmd-opt-i does show the total number of actual bytes--by summing the bytes of each file. It does not show 32K (or 4K) x the number of files.

Chris

creativescott  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2005, 08:46 AM

I understand seeing actual bytes. As I stated, I would like to see the "nearest K" - Like 1, 2, 3,... vs. 4, 8, ... I also understand by doing a get info or cmd-opt-i ... which from a usability perspective, it would be "nice" if the Finder displayed "size to closet K" and optionally "size on disk".

I know this is something I just need to get used to. And it is interesting though that OS X sees 32K blocks on a FAT32 drive whereas WinXP sees 4K blocks.

Anyway, I think I have my ? answered. Thanks to all.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2005, 10:13 AM

Note that file may have a resource fork and are therefore may be larger, but which is not transfered over FTP to the server. The file is then smaller on the server than on the Mac disk. The file view in GoLive shows the file size as it will be on the server (I assume other HTML editors do the same). Use that instead of the Info dialog of the Finder.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2005, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by creativescott
I understand seeing actual bytes. As I stated, I would like to see the "nearest K" - Like 1, 2, 3,... vs. 4, 8, ... I also understand by doing a get info or cmd-opt-i ... which from a usability perspective, it would be "nice" if the Finder displayed "size to closet K" and optionally "size on disk".
Sorry. I did misread your post.

Forum Links
Forum Rules