Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Help!!! MY harddrive is full

Help!!! MY harddrive is full
myfirstmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2007, 01:33 PM

Hi everyone. I have a SP 1.25mhz MDD with 2 gig ram, and the original 80 gig HD. I recently added an internal 160 gig hd to cope with my growing clutter.

Everything seemed to be working fine until recently when I was informed that my harddrive is full. The 80 gig drive is full.

Recently I copied my applications folder from the 80 gig to the 160 gig drive, but then I moved back things like iphoto, itunes and such because when they were on the 160, I couldn't open them.

I would like the 80 gig drive to be the startup drive with my OS as well as things like ilife, photoshop, etc....I would like the 160 gig drive to have everything else.

Can someone walk me through the steps to do this? I was able to find out how to move my itunes library, but that is about it. I don't even know where my OS files are.

Thanks,

Tom
Tom

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2007, 02:15 PM

This is getting to be a common problem, to make your 160Gb disk the main startup disk, go to applications>Utilities>Disk utility, select the 80Gb disk, and click the tab labeled restore, drag the 80 gig disk into the space labeled "source" and drag the 160 Gb disk to the blank labeled "Destination" then click restore. DO NOT DELETE THE FOLDERS OFF THE ORIGINAL DISK UNTIL YOU HAVE FINISHED THIS LIST... This will copy all of the files, including OS files on the new disk, it will create several new folders and alises on the disk "etc, TMP and Var " folders, do not delete these, when the disk is finished copying, to to system preferences, click "startup disk", change the startup disk to your 160Gb, reboot. When everything works, all your applications, and you find all your folders and get them the way you like them, you can then delete the files off the original 80 Gb, even the system library folders.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2007, 02:45 PM

Sub has good instructions, but I wouldn't delete the OS off the original drive. It's a good idea to have the other drive as a bootable backup drive.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2007, 03:19 PM

He wants the 80GB to be the boot drive.
You neglect to mention what is taking up all the room. In general video is the worst offender, then music, then photos, though if you have a kickass camera and are a bit click happy, you might have a bigger photo library than music. Then of course your music and movies might all be lumped into your iTunes library. The easiest way to move stuff in your movies folder, is to use an Alias on the 160GB drive. You can do this with your music and pictures folders too, but you should use other methods to transfer your iTunes and iPhoto Library. You already know how to deal with iTunes, so thats sorted. To deal with iPhoto, copy the library to wherever you like on the 160GB drive, make a backup eleswhere if you're smart too. Then trash the original, and launch iPhoto with the option (alt) key held down. This should allow you to choose your new library. Simply point it at your new photo library and your good.

Hopefully that should sort you out, but if you still have no room on an 80GB drive when all your user data is stored on the 160GB, then you must have an immense Applications folder.
You OS files are distributed between the System and Library folders and also amongst a number of invisible folders in the root volume of the 80GB disk. An install of Tiger, fully updated should be somewhere in the region of 2-4GB or sowithout including any apps, depending how many optional installs you have like printer drivers and support for other languages. Developer tools will run to a GB or so if you have them installed.
If your apps folder is pushing 70GB, then something is wrong. I'd be surprised if anyone needed 70GB worth of apps. You should employ whatever disk tools you have at your disposal like DIsk Utility, diskwarrior etc to see if you can work out what is taking up all your space. I know Photoshop can cause havoc with scratch files under certain circumstances.
If you can't fix the issue, you might consider a reinstall of your OS. But you'll need to run an erase and install. You'll have fun putting everything back in place.
There is an app called monolingual which will delete support files for foreign language support and can also be used to clean out the x86 code from your universal apps which you don't need. It can save a few GB of space in some cases. Get it from versiontracker.

Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2007, 03:30 PM

I don't think he specifically wants the 80gig to be the boot drive, his data is probably a mixture of pictures and iTunes movies.
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

myfirstmac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2007, 06:33 PM

Hi guys,

Thank you for the great ideas. First, I do want the 80gig drive to be the startup drive. Second, everyone was right...my iphoto library was 40gig (I'm very click happy and use a digital SLR), and my itunes library was 10 gig...

Everything seems to be good now...I just really have to keep up on cleaning things out.

Thanks!!!

Tom
Tom

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2007, 07:02 PM

Did you move the libraries to the other drive?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules