Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > iDVD and Dv to Quicktime exporting

iDVD and Dv to Quicktime exporting
caseygittings
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2002, 08:59 PM

I just burnt my first dvd with iDVD. I got all my footage off my new dv camera. When I export the video through quicktime it looks like ****. Is there a way to turn the quality of the quicktime export up alot. What should I do. Does dvd studio support other file types other than quicktime. Its like putting a avi on a dvd disk I want the quality to look like it does in iMovie and Final Cut Pro 3.
Casey Gittings

Chuck_star
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2002, 02:28 AM

I realize I'm not much help here. However you must be doing something wrong.

why

I use dv footage exported from FCP and make VCDs which are mpeg-1. They look good.
DVDs are mpeg-2 which is far superior to mpeg-1. They should look great.

The reason I can't be any help here is because I have no dvd burner so I'm stuck making VCD's and SVCD's which are mpeg-2 on cd.

To answer your question(sort of). You cannot use any other format to make DVDs besides mpeg-2.
Later
Chuck

eerie eric
Dec 30, 2002, 02:53 AM

I'm having the same problem.

If there isn't a way to turn the QuickTime export quality way up, I'd like to know how I can combine 2 seperate iMovie projects...or how I can open a iMovie project through FCP.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2002, 05:55 AM

in fact, DVDSP supports only MPEG-2, and comes with an MPEG-2 export component for quicktime pro (maybe iMovie too, but that's a long shot). When you export from iMovie with the iDVD setting, it exports to full frame DV (that's the codec within quicktime). For some reason that's beyond me, QuickTime's default setting is to play back DV media with the High Quality flag unchecked. You can set it with Quicktime Pro in the High Quality section of the Video Track in the Movie Properties pane. Even if you don't do this, it will look fine again after you let iDVD encode to MPEG-2 and burn (you never get to see the mpeg-2 file iDVD creates before it burns)

in short, don't worry about it. DV is never your final format, and when you do convert to your final format, it will look good again

Forum Links
Forum Rules