Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Removing the motherboard in an iBook

Removing the motherboard in an iBook
jessnear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2002, 08:11 PM

My iBook is about a year old. I was having some trouble with built in ethernet. Initially, it was working fine but then it seemed to be working off and on until it stopped working all together. The plug has always seemed to be a little lose. The plug for the ethernet is a surface mount and I am having some difficulty removing the motherboard so I can check things out. I just was curious if anyone had some suggestions? I was trying to remove the motherboard but it doesnt seem to want to come out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

fibroptikl
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2002, 08:12 PM

Probably best to call Apple on that one.

ibook_steve
Dec 18, 2002, 10:56 PM

At what point in the process are you? When you say "it doesn't seem to want to come out," obviously something is preventing it from being removed. What have you removed and where are you stuck?

Steve

Cipher13
Dec 18, 2002, 11:55 PM

Removal of the motherboard is not necessary to get to that.

Remove the top case, top shield, and the port cover on the left, and you should be able to get it.

That shot is of everything *but* the motherboard 'out', and from there I removed the modem port for somebody. I could have done the same to the ethernet port from there.
( Last edited by Cipher13; Dec 19, 2002 at 12:01 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules