Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I'm switching, but have iBook decisioning woes!

I'm switching, but have iBook decisioning woes!
Thread Tools
miykael
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jan 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 17, 2003, 01:44 PM
 
Hey,

I've been reading these forums since MWSF, but have been thinking about switching for about 4 months now. Although these forums have been extremely useful and insightful, sometimes I believe that information overload may have made my decision to purchase an iBook so much harder (especially since I'm rather virgin to the Mac world and everyone on here seems very experienced).

I've pretty much decided to go with the 12" iBook. I really want it right now as I have sold my PC desktop and have to rely on a Dell P2-266MHz laptop for everything that I do (which is insufficient in so many ways, I won't even bother getting into it).

So my dilemma is this: Do I play the waiting game with the iBook? Does anyone know if the iBook is going to change in the next month or two (maybe upgrades)?

Thanks in advance for all the advice.

Miyka'el.
     
dencamp
Senior User
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: waiting for the painter
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 17, 2003, 02:11 PM
 
Well, this is the constant question. My feelings are that the ibook is at a stable build point. That is to say, any rev a machine has design issues. The ibook on the other hand has gone through the refining. Any substinative overhaul will take 6 months of ironing out the details. So, if you have taken the ibook for a spin and it'll do what you need it to do, buy it. A slight speed bump won't make that much of a difference.

My gut feeling is that we are about 6 weeks from a speed bump (Once the powerbooks start filling the channel) and 6-8 months from g4ing the ibooks. But my gut is often wrong...

The normal advice:

Max out the ram
     
Altair
Forum Regular
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The land of evil: Redmond
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 17, 2003, 02:12 PM
 
I don't think that there is going to be another update to the ibook for 3 or 4 months so I would suggest going ahead and getting an ibook 800. Specially since you are currently using a really slow computer. Even if there is an update, you can always sell it on ebay for close to the price you bought it for.

I havn't made the switch yet because I will not have the money for another 3 weeks. After that I will be able to get the new 12" powerbook.
     
Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 17, 2003, 02:34 PM
 
The bottom line is, yes, sooner or later Apple will update the iBook. But if you wait, then soon after that, a new update will emerge. You will never be "current" very long.

I have an iBook 600/DVD. It's a lot slower than the 800 they have now, but I still love it, and I use it every day.

If you need an iBook now, get one now.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs
     
-Q-
Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 17, 2003, 03:46 PM
 
What they said: need one now (and it sounds like you do), get one. I doubt that there will be any significant changes before May or so.

And besides, even if they do change, you can always turn around and sell it immediately and use that cash towards the purchase of a new one...
     
james_squared
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Cranbrook, British Columbia, Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 17, 2003, 05:06 PM
 
Hello,

Buy, buy, buy.

Bye, bye, bye.

James

PS: To clarify, now is a great time to buy. I don't think they'll be updated for a few months, either. I also think that prices were dropped recently on the iBook. Even if they do update soon, at least you'll have had the enjoyment of having an iBook for a while.
     
halcyondays
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Dec 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 19, 2003, 09:09 AM
 
I work in publishing and my boss recently wanted to buy a new iBook. However, we have a contact within Apple who told us to hold off the purchase for the time being because a price decrease/speed increase was due within the next 2 months. No promises, although he's been pretty reliable as far as tips go.

Of course, 2 months might be too long a time to go without a proper computer, so you might just want to buy one now anyway.
     
olli2
Forum Regular
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 19, 2003, 10:59 AM
 
Waiting for a better model is reasonable if there is something critical missing from the current models, that you can expect to be supported in the future.

However, many of the critical problems have been fixed in the 2002 Nov iBooks:
- The hinge problem is fixed.
- The G3 800 is fast enough for Office tasks, generally speaking performs much better than a dual G4 400 MHz.
- The Video Card has 16 MB Video ram to support Quartz Extreme, if you decide to get the model with 32 MB of video ram, you even have QE for dual screens. Also, the Ati 7500 has some power to play games or DivX, and can handle monitor spanning.
- The CD-RW speed at 16x is acceptable (to me 24x is the reasonable, over that the writing is speed is not really faster)
- Possibility to top up your ram to 640 MB

Earlier iBooks however have one or more critical features missing. G3 500 MHz seems to be quite slow for OS X, there's not enough video ram for Quartz Extreme, very poor video chip, CD-Rom only, etc...

What would be an important add-on for me?
- Bluetooth integrated (instead of Airport) (Bluetooth mouse, PDA, printers, slide-show controllers, external keyboards) - using a USB Bluetooth module is not very comfortable, it is sensible (the new PowerBook 12" has this) - Bluetooth and Wireless lan used at the same time are not so obvious, so I hope Apple offers some kind of a trouble free solution
- CPU speed at the range of 2 GHz, to allow an acceptable Virtual PC performance (it has to emulate the x86 processor on the Power PC processor, so it is very resource consuming)
- PCMCIA slot (for flash card reading)
- DVD+RW burning (not just DVD-R and DVD-RW)

So, I think that older iBooks are not sufficient, while the latest iBook is sufficient, and is good value for money. Newer ones, however, does not seem to me to have that critical jump, that the Nov 2002 iBooks offer compared to previous models.
     
xtal
Senior User
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 19, 2003, 03:21 PM
 
Great post olli2. I will also add that the price drop in November 2002 made the iBooks all the more tempting. That's the reason I picked up my iBook 800, and have loved it since.
     
miykael  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jan 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 19, 2003, 04:01 PM
 
Hey,

Thanks guys/gals, for all the information given thus far. It seems that the general feeling is that the iBook will get a revision/update sometime this year (probably the first half of the year). However, the revision/update may not be worth waiting for and even if it is, re-selling seems quite a popular thing to do.

I think I'll be purchasing the 12" iBook 800 with the 40GB HDD and max'ing out the ram to 640MB upgrades. Seems everyone really likes this revision of the iBook.

Just one more question for xtal:

I'm from Toronto as well, where did you purchase your 12" iBook 800?

Thanks again everybody!
     
webb3201
Senior User
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Dallas, Texas
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 19, 2003, 07:51 PM
 
As it is impossible to be at the top of the pack for more than a few months (at best), I always buy machines at the mid term/end of life. I buy used, new or refurbed based on the best price I can find. The great things is I save money at the time of purchase, get machines that are stable and can sell without losing any more value. Same argument on a used car.

Check Smalldog.com as a great reseller of refurb machines .
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.
     
mark9939
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Apr 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 19, 2003, 08:13 PM
 
I think I'll be purchasing the 12" iBook 800 with the 40GB HDD and max'ing out the ram to 640MB upgrades.
Just wondering... why not spend a little more and get the G4? The 40 GB HDD is standard on the AlBook. I think it'll serve you better for longer.

-M
MBP 1.83 GHz CD/iPod 30GB
     
RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 20, 2003, 04:31 AM
 
Originally posted by miykael:
Just one more question for xtal:

I'm from Toronto as well, where did you purchase your 12" iBook 800?

Thanks again everybody!
my wife got her 800 iBook in Toronto. she went to Computer System Centre.

http://www.csctoronto.com/index.html

ask for Brian.
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G
     
Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Arizona
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 20, 2003, 11:02 PM
 
Originally posted by mark9939:
Just wondering... why not spend a little more and get the G4? The 40 GB HDD is standard on the AlBook. I think it'll serve you better for longer.

-M
$400 is more than "a little more".
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:05 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,