Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Do you use an external display with your PB?

Do you use an external display with your PB?
pb_soon
Nov 4, 2003, 08:07 AM

I'm interested to know how many of us use an external display with their PB. If so, what make/model do you use? And if using with 15 or 17, how does you external display handle wide screen?

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 2003, 08:22 AM

I use an Apple 20" display with my 12". I used to have both a 15" and a 17" and both handled the extra display beautifully. Not sure what you mean with the widescreen being handled by those machines, though. It uses that space as it would any other.

aktive
Nov 4, 2003, 08:30 AM

I would if I had the cash...

*sigh*
"...because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones that do."

///Milien
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2003, 09:15 AM

I am using the 20" Apple Cinema Display with my PowerBook 12.
 Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26GHz Xeon | 12GB RAM | 2.5TB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4870 | 24" LED Cinema Display
 Mac mini [Unibody] 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 8GB RAM | 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD | 24" LED Cinema Display
 MacBook Air 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 256GB SDD
Too many accessories to list...

-Q-
Nov 4, 2003, 10:10 AM

I use some generic Panasonic 17" at work so I can store my pallettes off my main screen. Works fine.

slider
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2003, 10:42 AM

Samsung SyncMaster 172T at work with my 15" Al PowerBook. I also have my Shuttle PC plugged into the anolog port of the monitor so I switch back and forth with a touch of a button.

pipflypip
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2003, 04:51 AM

Ti 15 and LG 15" Flatron with mirroring off (the external quality, btw, puts my PB display to shame). Got so used to the wide wide wide desktop that working without the external feels strange these days.
Go for it, LCD monitors are so cheap these days.

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2003, 11:35 AM

Only when I'm doing photoshop stuff, then i have a dell 19" from years ago. Lots of extra screen space.

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

TiUser
Nov 18, 2003, 12:30 PM

Quick question to those who use PB 12" Re. B and ACD 20": when you have the lid closed (mirroring), what resolution shows on the external display? Are you able to display in the widescreen format? Thanks.

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2003, 12:33 PM

when i'm at work doing data analysis --> Viewsonic PF790 (works OK, but i'd rather have an Apple Flat Panel!)

tterp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2003, 03:04 PM

Screen= more cables, less space en the room more unplugging...

Don�t see the point in an external screen, unless you have the 12" PB and love to chain yout notebook to one place in the house

/tterp

Minty Fresh
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2003, 04:58 PM

I bought a laptop to be just that. It's not my primary computer...and I bought it to be portable, or to chill in the living room on my lap. Not to be hooked up to a large screen confining me to a desk.

I still do want one of the ACD's though! LOL

PacPerson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2003, 06:05 PM

I hook up my pismo to a 32" jvc TV to watch dvds sometimes, but for some reason, it doesn't seem to handle games too good.

Is this because of the crap 8 meg video card ? (I'm only using the TV screen, I have my powerbook screen closed.)

I tried to play AOE2 on the 32" tv, but it just can't handle it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules