Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Extending the range of ABS with another router

Extending the range of ABS with another router
Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2003, 01:18 PM

In an effort to extend the range of my Airport Graphite network, I purchased a Netgear WGR614 wireless router. I am using a cable modem for internet access. I have replaced my Airport network with the Netgear network, which has better range. Now I'd like to move the Airport somewhere else in my house and have it extend the range of the Netgear hosted network.

I have a question: do both the Airport Base Station and the Netgear wireless router need to have a direct ethernet connection to my cable modem? If this is true, this complicates things as I would have to run a long ethernet cable halfway through my house.

Can the ABS access the Netgear supported network, and then distribute IP addresses on a subnet of it's own? Then I can have some computers accessing the Netgear network, and others accessing the ABS network, depending on the proximity.

Here's how I was hoping the setup would work:

cable modem-->Netgear router (192.168.0.1)-->some computers
-->ABS (192.168.0.100)

ABS-->other computers (192.168.0.101, etc)

The only thing is, in the ABS setup it is necessary to get it's IP address from ethernet, modem, PPPoE, etc, but not wirelessly.

Thanks for your help in advance..
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2003, 01:50 PM

Yes, you need to run a cable from the Netgear to the ABS. To do this wirelessly, you'd need to have two AEBSes. Wireless bridging is a new feature on the AEBS, and one of it's most compelling, in my opinion.
Ideally, you'd have everything on the same subnet (192.168.0.1, 2, 3, etc) The Netgear will be the DHCP server and default gateway (192.168.0.1). Wired comps will get an IP from it. Then set a static IP for the ABS outside the DHCH range of the Netgear and tell it to NOT distribute IPs. Give both devices the same name (SSID) and put them on different channels. Now clients will be able to roam from one to the other, seamlessly, on the same network. All devices will get IPs from the Netgear via DHCP.

Phat Bastard  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2003, 04:52 PM

Thanks, aaanorton, that sounds good. I was afraid my ABS wouldn't support wireless bridging, looks like I was right.

Originally posted by aaanorton:
Yes, you need to run a cable from the Netgear to the ABS. To do this wirelessly, you'd need to have two AEBSes. Wireless bridging is a new feature on the AEBS, and one of it's most compelling, in my opinion.
Ideally, you'd have everything on the same subnet (192.168.0.1, 2, 3, etc) The Netgear will be the DHCP server and default gateway (192.168.0.1). Wired comps will get an IP from it. Then set a static IP for the ABS outside the DHCH range of the Netgear and tell it to NOT distribute IPs. Give both devices the same name (SSID) and put them on different channels. Now clients will be able to roam from one to the other, seamlessly, on the same network. All devices will get IPs from the Netgear via DHCP.
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules