Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Should threads about buying a PB or waiting be banned?

View Poll Results: Should threads asking buying a PB or waiting be banned?
Poll Options:
Yes 24 votes (40.68%)
No 35 votes (59.32%)
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll
Should threads about buying a PB or waiting be banned?
Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2004, 03:58 PM

Am I the only person who is annoyed at all the threads that keep being created asking about buying a Powerbook now or waiting? Am I the only person who realizes you can wait FOREVER for yet another newer and faster computer to come out, so why not just buy one right then?

I think this should be taken to the point of locking down these threads. They are always coming up, and the same arguments always apply to them, therefore the same posts are always made. Someone asks "should I buy a PB now or wait?" And people always respond with "if you need it now, buy it now" or "you can wait forever for a faster computer". These threads are REALLY annoying.

Well, what do you all think?
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2004, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by Phat Bastard:
Am I the only person who is annoyed at all the threads that keep being created asking about buying a Powerbook now or waiting?
Yes.

naknek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2004, 04:07 PM

Oh, come on ... it wouldn't be a real Mac forum without 'em! But maybe they should go in their own special forum section: "Buy now or wait?"

Or maybe a dedicated thread, with a poll that allows daily voting for the different lines: "Today's forecast: 80% say buy a Powerbook now, but 68% say wait for the next eMac."

selowitch
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2004, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by naknek:
Or maybe a dedicated thread, with a poll that allows daily voting for the different lines: "Today's forecast: 80% say buy a Powerbook now, but 68% say wait for the next eMac."
Oh, yeah -- a weathervane! I like this idea!!!

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Jan 13, 2004, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by naknek:
Oh, come on ... it wouldn't be a real Mac forum without 'em! But maybe they should go in their own special forum section: "Buy now or wait?"

Wait, 80% say buy and 68% say wait. You do realize that's 148% right?

However, I do think you're on the right track. I would suggest a sticky thread. Every couple weeks it could be recycled or something so that if rumors or an upcoming expo warrant different advice that can be reflected more easily. A permanent sticky tread would be a pain to read because it would become way too long.

KidKit
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2004, 11:38 PM

I personally think that threads of people asking advice on whether to buy a PB or wait will always be there. Its just plain unfriendly if you just ban them (without at least providing an alternative forum section).

I recently got my PB. While I didn't detail every step of the process as some are wont to do, I did pore through a lot of the discussion threads about buying vs waiting here in this forum. And honestly, some of the stuff were useful.

After all, you don't have to read those threads if you don't like them

Orion27
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2004, 11:20 AM

Of course not. We never know what the future will bring. As long as I been a Mac user, I'd still offer advice and seek it in thread you'd be happy to ban. Silly. We all have to start somewhere. Even if we know the answer, it's still comforting to be reassured by someone with 5 stars under his name. Even if he doesn't know the answer either.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2004, 11:26 AM

I think it is fine to keep them. Yes it does get tiresome but sometimes it is or maybe a New user/switcher who isn't sure yet. Yes they also should do a search on these as their have been TONS of threads on this. I don't mind telling people what i think about it if they ask. Maybe there should be a sitcky so that people don't have to keep asking or looking for the thread(s).
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Phat Bastard  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2004, 01:38 PM

Having a sticky is a great idea...a simple sticky suggesting to do a search since this topic has been covered countless times. Or at the least, mods should be more diligent in suggesting a search in the thread itself when someone starts it.

Maybe I wasn't thining correctly when I posted the suggestion to outright ban this type of thread, I was just frustrated. Sorry if I over-reacted.

Originally posted by typoon:
I think it is fine to keep them. Yes it does get tiresome but sometimes it is or maybe a New user/switcher who isn't sure yet. Yes they also should do a search on these as their have been TONS of threads on this. I don't mind telling people what i think about it if they ask. Maybe there should be a sitcky so that people don't have to keep asking or looking for the thread(s).
Black iPod nano 4GB

Hamburglar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2004, 03:26 PM

Uhoh...next we'll see, "Should threads asking about banning threads asking buying a PB or waiting be banned?"

Heh, sorry, couldn't resist.

I actually kinda agree with you, but I think it's just the nature of the beast (msg board).

spiderbyte
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2004, 08:59 PM

No. They should not be banned.

The internet is about sharing information. Boards such as this provide useful information to people who are considering the purchase of a Mac.

This board should not be a closed commuity of smug Mac owners.

There are so many other things to get annoyed over. I suggest that you find one and direct your annoyance toward that.

//// \\\\ spiderbyte

Phat Bastard  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2004, 02:20 PM

However, the moderators have made it abundantly clear than users should do a search before they post.

This topic has been covered dozens of times for each iteration of an upgraded Powerbook. A simple search will find the information people need.

Can we please let this go now?

Originally posted by spiderbyte:
No. They should not be banned.

The internet is about sharing information. Boards such as this provide useful information to people who are considering the purchase of a Mac.

This board should not be a closed commuity of smug Mac owners.

There are so many other things to get annoyed over. I suggest that you find one and direct your annoyance toward that.

//// \\\\ spiderbyte
Black iPod nano 4GB

-Q-
Jan 16, 2004, 02:50 PM

I think MacNN needs to develop a small menu bar app, similar to WeatherPop, that connects to their "Should I Buy or Not" web site (similar to 'Hot or Not' ). Based on the feedback of forum members, the date from MWSF and the proximity to the summer "event formerly known as Macworld, but w/out Apple we're not sure WTF to do with it" event and the date from the last revision, they can give a buy/hold indicator.

Just a thought.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2004, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by Phat Bastard:
Am I the only person who is annoyed at all the threads that keep being created asking about buying a Powerbook now or waiting? Am I the only person who realizes you can wait FOREVER for yet another newer and faster computer to come out, so why not just buy one right then?

I think this should be taken to the point of locking down these threads. They are always coming up, and the same arguments always apply to them, therefore the same posts are always made. Someone asks "should I buy a PB now or wait?" And people always respond with "if you need it now, buy it now" or "you can wait forever for a faster computer". These threads are REALLY annoying.

Well, what do you all think?
I think, nobody made you read those posts, so why do you even bother with this stupid pole? On the other hand, I was not forced to read your post so now I'm just pissed off.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2004, 07:32 PM

How about issueing useless polls that have no effect.

I for one was one of those people who posted questions about a new PB that I wanted to buy. Now my needs are not identical to others who have posted and I wanted input from others. Isn't that what this place is for.

I agree that searching forums to get your answers should be the first line of defense but seeing this types of posts is not a problem.

People are excited about getting a new computer and asking questions is part of that, do we want to squash that type of enthusiasm?

Just my .02
Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules